Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#377 - 09/15/00 04:29 PM Hostels in Madrid -- All Booked?
DJ Denis Offline

Loc: Belfast, Maine, United States
I have been working fairly intensively throughout the last week or so to secure a hostel room for October 4 -- the first day I will spend in Madrid after I fly over. I have contacted most of the recommended sites and they are all fully reserved. Has anyone heard any "buzz" about some vacant hostels? I do not need much in the way of extras, and that is why I am trying to avoid hotels. I am available via e-mail at denis@weru.org but also will check this board very frequently!

#378 - 09/15/00 04:41 PM Re: Hostels in Madrid -- All Booked?
connie Offline

Try "availability search" under http://www.hotelsearch.com/city/madrid.html - you can indicate the dates, the time you need the room for, and your price range, and the system will indicate you which places have still available rooms that match your needs. I would recommend to reserve the room as soon as possible.

(Connie, I just "tweaked" your URL to make it clickable)

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 09-15-2000).]

#379 - 09/15/00 04:53 PM Re: Hostels in Madrid -- All Booked?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi DJ Dennis! Coincidentally, this past week I solicited rooms from about 10 of the hostels which I have on my MadridMan's Madrid Hostels page and most had availability on/after the 5th of October - I'm staying in 7 of those hostels during my 16-day stay in Madrid in order to review them.

Those which had available rooms but which I could not try because my schedule became full included Hostal Oporto & Hostal Pereda. Try these two - I believe I've heard good things about them both. Whichever you choose/find, we would all appreciate it if you could return to this/your thread to give us your feedback. Thanks!

Be sure to try the Hostal Combo of Hostal Martin and Cervelo. They're in the same building and both have websites.. I've heard good things about them too.

Among those at which I'll be staying include Hostales: Lopez, Dulcinea, La Perla Asturiana, Chelo, Mirentxu, and another that escapes me at the moment. You can be sure you'll get a full report from me upon returning! Hmmm.. Maybe I should also try Hostal Massachusetts??? Nah!! hehehe..

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#380 - 09/15/00 07:51 PM Re: Hostels in Madrid -- All Booked?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
MM, what are you doing spending all that $$ and hostal hopping-- are you checking them out for US???? IF so, we should all send you some money to cover your costs! or do you get a madridman travel expert free room! you SHOULD! by the way, MM, you know, claro, that you can check them out by going, seeing a room, talking to guests... or do you really want to have the overnite experience?!?! i bet ladyfriend is thrilled about her nights on the gran via and huertas in the name of research, jajajaja

#381 - 09/15/00 09:41 PM Re: Hostels in Madrid -- All Booked?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
rgf, actually, I'm making this trip ALONE!! Can you believe it? My ladyfriend will be in New Mexico (she's living/working there this year) so I'll be staying at said hostels ALONE...half of the days I'll be there.

And no. No special treatment for MadridMan at the hostels. I WISH! I want the true, overnight experience for myself to better evaluate them and enlighten you and everyone else. PLUS, I'm working on a new website about Spain's hostels/hostales and this is part of my "field work". hehehe. I'm also going to be taking photos and some video. Besides, if they gave me a free room they may also "prepare" differently than if they were just accomodating another cliente. I probably won't have many opportunities to talk to other guests as I'll be on-the-go myself. I have all weekends BOOKED at hostels to be close to the weekend action in Huertas/Plaza Santa Ana, Plaza Mayor/Puerta del Sol, and even near the Gran Vía! The other nights I'm staying with the family of my ladyfriend. I'm looking forward to that too. HOME COOKIN'!!!

So DJ Denis, just keep trying and trying and I'm sure you'll get something eventually. Just don't delay! Act today! Try those I have listed above for good chances. When you find something, please come back to this/your thread and let us know what you chose. Then, upon returning, we would all really appreciate some feedback on that which you had. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#382 - 09/16/00 07:47 AM Re: Hostels in Madrid -- All Booked?
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
I think rooms are going fast because I spent several hours looking through this site exploring the reports on the various Hostals and also consulting my Rough Guide book. Eventually I decided on one and duly rang to make a booking for the 15th October for seven nights in Madrid. Guess what: gone,
next try: gone.
Anyway I secured a place on the third try.

Rough Guide contains a good selection.

Regarding the taxi issue I have decided to take a taxi for the very first time and wont pay above 3000 to the centre.

#383 - 09/17/00 04:54 PM Re: Hostels in Madrid -- All Booked?
DJ Denis Offline

Thanks, everyone, for your assistance! I am in the process of trying to book a room at Hostal Aliste, but unfortunately, I only have a DISCOVER credit card. It looks like only American Express, MasterCard, and VISA are in wide use for lodging in Spain. It should be fairly easy to secure a MasterCard here in the States soon (my credit record is spotless -- never paid a penny of interest yet), but does anyone know if DISCOVER is accepted anywhere over there? Thanks for all the help and I will keep you all posted -- MadridMan, will you be there at all from October 3 through October 10? A friend and I are flying over from the States and would love to connect with other travelers...

#384 - 09/17/00 10:28 PM Re: Hostels in Madrid -- All Booked?
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
The DISCOVER Card in only good in the USA! Recently I was on the Canadian border with only a Discover Card. Luckily my husband carries MasterCard or I would have been out of luck at Duty Free!

#385 - 09/18/00 03:29 PM Re: Hostels in Madrid -- All Booked?
DJ Denis Offline

As of this writing, the Hostal Fonda Harizunte seems like the best choice for me! They seem to have a room available and also seem willing to hold it for me! Thanks to everyone for helping!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments