Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38438 - 03/25/03 09:30 PM Americans Safe?
balanceok Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK USA
We'll be in Madrid, Alicante and Elche in two weeks. We'll spend Semana Santa in the Elche area.

Should we have any concerns as U.S. tourists in Spain right now?

#38439 - 03/25/03 09:44 PM Re: Americans Safe?
Ty 'n Ed Offline

You may want to check out the posting under the topic

"Clashes with police in Madrid"

It appears no one is currently reporting any problems. We'll be in Spain in May and have the same concern. But don't forget - most people can differentiate between people and government. If you don't want to discuss the war, don't. But if you do start a discussion on war with others, I've been warned to be prepared for a lengthy and hearty debate...not that I agree with the war (I don't) - but Spaniards can be passionate about such issues (as most populations can).

#38440 - 03/25/03 09:46 PM Re: Americans Safe?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
None. But if I were you, I'd leave my "I SUPPORT GEORGE W. BUSH!" T-shirt at home along with your political viewpoints. You're much more likely to get mugged than beaten by USA-hating Spaniards (there are few)... and you're not at all likely to get mugged either, by the way. I would also resist my "need" to confront an Anti-War demonstration. MIGHT be a good idea. wink

Have a GREAT time in Spain during Semana Santa. I know I will!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38441 - 03/26/03 04:33 PM Re: Americans Safe?
That guy Offline

Loc: US
I will be in Spain (Barcelona, actually) next week, and I am from the USA as well. I have been checking the Travel Secretary's website ( www.travel.state.gov ), but became a bit unnerved when I saw pictures of S Americans and even some S Koreans tearing down McDonald's signs. I don't like McD's either, but I'm a little more concerned about the anti-American sentiment. Has anyone here experienced anything like this, even in places other than Spain?
I still plan to go and enjoy myself, but I just won't tell people I'm from Texas unless they ask. smile

-tg

[/edit]just a quick question: I'm staying at Pension Dali, off C/Boquería. Does anyone have any words on the safety of this area -- would anyone not stay here?

#38442 - 03/26/03 05:38 PM Re: Americans Safe?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
My guess is that you would probably have no problem.

Just my thoughts but... what quality and kind of democracy we have if we can't express ourselves in public?

Fernando

#38443 - 03/26/03 05:51 PM Re: Americans Safe?
That guy Offline

Loc: US
Quote:
My guess is that you would probably have no problem.
Just my thoughts but... what quality and kind of democracy we have if we can't express ourselves in public?
Fernando
My grandfather said the Germans are big on that. He told me that he was at a German cafe once when a bus-load of German tourists pulled up, got off the bus, and "expressed themselves" there in front of the cafe. I'm guessing he didn't finish his beverage, but he likes to tell the story.
So you're familiar with this section of BCN, or were you replying to another post?

#38444 - 03/26/03 06:26 PM Re: Americans Safe?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Tranquillo, I have NOT seen ANYTHING which would show that there is ANY violent anti-US citizen sentiments by people, and my studio is in Lavapies, with a large Muslim/Arabic population. I think the whole idea of anti-US citizen feelings in Spain (at least here in Madrid) is TOTALLY unfounded. Just don't go pushing a "USA: Love it or leave it" stance on people. (By the way, I left it!) and you will be fine. Also you might want to avoid the anti-war demonstrations which are huge, and frequent here.

Soon I will have my "Acclaimation of the Village Idiot" painting in poster and tee-shirt form, if such is your sentiment!

#38445 - 03/26/03 07:47 PM Re: Americans Safe?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
If you're worried about traveling and would like to read something really encouraging, check out what Rick Steves has to say at

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0302/hi.htm

He hits on just about every concern an American traveling abroad might have.

Just days ago I came back from England, where I led a group of 64, mostly adolescents. We had a fantastic time. The war isn't a problem for traveling to Europe. I'd go back to Europe right this minute, if I could. Although I haven't been in Spain for the past 8 months, I lived there for many years and through other international crises the US was involved in. I never felt unsafe.

Keep in mind that the people in the United States who watch TV news are being bombarded with a lot of drama and hype (listen to that music in the background!), and I'm convinced that this increases their fears of being abroad. There are a million good reasons for traveling abroad. Escape from American TV news has recently become another one for me! (In the meantime, I rely on radio and the Internet for news - they do just fine.)

Europe is safe! Travel! Enjoy!

#38446 - 03/28/03 10:51 AM Re: Americans Safe?
dangrmous Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
I just got back from Madrid last night, was there for about a week. We had no problems. We told people who asked that we were American and they didn't mind in the least...

Man, Madrid was so fun!!! Enjoy!!

#38447 - 03/29/03 10:10 AM Re: Americans Safe?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Just take MMs advice, and you will be absolutely fine. As far as anti-american sentiment, although I have run into a couple random spaniards in bars, and the McDonalds sign here in Granada has been wrecked, for the most part it is kept anti-war, NOT anti-american...there is a difference!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments