MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#38429 - 03/22/03 05:43 PM Re: Clashes with police in Madrid
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
The media have covered a number of highly confrontational protests over the past couple of days, both here in the United States and abroad. I just want to point out that some demonstrations (probably most demonstrations!) are entirely peaceful. I've been to a large one here in Minnesota, and found that there were many "pacifists," as defined above, along with many people who believe that THIS WAR is wrong, but that wars are sometimes justified. The major criticisms I heard were that (1) "preemptive war" is never right and that (2) the inspections were working and should have been given more time. One of the things I did NOT hear expressed was hatred of our country--the people I encountered love America but disagree with/fear/distrust our current administration.

These protests are a beautiful thing when they remain peaceful.

#38430 - 03/22/03 08:31 PM Re: Clashes with police in Madrid
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Why don't anybody ever protest despotism and violations against human rights? It's a rhetorical question, since I know the answer. Just thought I'd stir the pot. I guess I'll go out and protest next time we elect a Democratic president.

#38431 - 03/23/03 12:23 AM Re: Clashes with police in Madrid
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Well Gazpacho, in free democracies you can complain and demonstrate because democracies uphold certain universal rights. But not in places where despots and tyrants rule. For example take Cuba, there Fidel Castro has just jailed as counter revolutionaries cuban dissidents that dared to speak with American counselate officials recently. God knows what he will do to them. frown

#38432 - 03/23/03 12:41 AM Re: Clashes with police in Madrid
FredMaine Offline

Loc: Maine USA
"Pacifist". "Radical". "Protestor". These are all relative terms. Depending on one's perspective. The world is deeply divided. We all have strong feelings. After 9/11 Americans have been afraid. 70% of Americans support Bush in this activity. Americans don't like war, but America was unjustly attacked on 9/11. They feel that something must be done to eradicate terrorism and those who pose a threat for future terrorist actions. I am afraid that this conflict in Iraq is only the beginning. I am deeply sad that Bin Laden's attack on America has opened such a horrible state of affairs in American foreign policy. Again, I am afaid that this is only the beginning. I pray that this war will end soon. I hope you will all pray with me.

#38433 - 03/23/03 06:18 AM Re: Clashes with police in Madrid
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Booklady, I know why people can't demonstrate in their own countries against despotism and human rights violations, kind of in the definition. Why don't people in free countries demonstrate against them in other countries. It certainly bothers me that these things exist anywhere in the world.
In reality, these protest aren't against the war, but rather, against the current conservative administration. For example, where were the protest against intervening in Yugoslavia, Somalia or Sudan? Can't wait to hear the explanation, and I'm sure lots of people have them.
By the way, I enjoy many of your post.

#38434 - 03/23/03 03:51 PM Re: Clashes with police in Madrid
el viajero Offline

Quote:
Why don't anybody ever protest despotism and violations against human rights?
I know it's a rhetorical question, but such protests happen often, especially when representatives of despotic foreign regimes visit democratic countries.

#38435 - 03/23/03 09:19 PM Re: Clashes with police in Madrid
Ty 'n Ed Offline

All very thoughtful remarks. I wish I could support this war now that it's apparent that it will go on - but I can't. I seriously doubt the Bush administration's ethical reasoning on this matter. I think the rest of the world does, too. Hence the protests against this action. Even if the administration's ethical reasoning is really good and pure - sometimes perception is stronger than reality. And to ignore that will only work to our disadvantage in the long run. A short victory, while desirable to most every American, may be just that - short. I can only hope for the best!

#38436 - 03/24/03 04:51 PM Re: Clashes with police in Madrid
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I haven't heard of, or seen any agression towards US citizens ("American" remember, includes citizens of all countries of North, Central and South America!), just the usual spirited verbal debates. I eat every day at a Doner Kebap Kurdish café in Lavapies (across from the Anton Martín Metro stop, the best food in Madrid!) where about half the clientelle is Muslim, and no one has harassed me for being from the US. Of course I am vocally against the war, and the so-called "President" and his gang of thugs, but I have not heard anyone be upset with the people of the US, just the government. If anyone has reason to hate the US, it would be the Kurds, whom we threw to Sadaam after inciting them to rebel, and are apparently cutting them out of post-war participation in the government this time. Talk about shameful.

Martín de Madrid,
President,
1st Class Pinups
"The Classical Alternative in Pinup Art"
http://www.1stclasspinups.com

#38437 - 03/24/03 08:34 PM Re: Clashes with police in Madrid
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
In the afternoon on March 11, my wife and I were walking down the Carrera de San Jeronimo, when a group of young men and women came racing across the from the Plaza Puerta Del Sol and started an anti-war demonstration front of the Comunidad de Madrid building. My wife and I were caught in the middle. We were not threatened by anyone, and I do not look Spanish. We moved our way through the crowd, and watched from a distance. I did not feel threatened by anyone who participated in the demonstration

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments