Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38385 - 03/18/03 03:07 PM Madrid: Carrying a Purse
Serena Offline

Loc: Florida
I've been reading all the posts in here and it's making me a little worried... well maybe that's a good thing because now I will be more AWARE.
I normally carry a coach purse on my shoulder that hangs just below my arm and close to my body. Is it a good idea to leave that purse here in the states and carry something more inexpensive with me while I'm studying abroad in Madrid? I got one of those waist pouches but they look like a real PAIN.

#38386 - 03/18/03 05:14 PM Re: Madrid: Carrying a Purse
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Fanny packs are bad and purses are a no-no. I have a small kidney shaped travel pack which I carry if I have to, but I try to just use pockets. The bag is for maps, candy and kleenex. If I have to have all my valuables with me, I wear a security belt or use security pockets. I sewed little loops in my pants and shorts so I can attach the security pockets without them being seen.

Sometimes, you have to show your passport when you are buying things so i always keep it with me.

#38387 - 03/18/03 10:12 PM Re: Madrid: Carrying a Purse
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
When I was studying in Sevilla I bought a purse from the street fair in Plaza Duque that closes with a drawstring and ties shut. The straps can either come out to be 2 straps or be one long one. I was almost mugged once, but I had the straps tied around my wrist 3 times and they didn't get it from me. not that it would have mattered because all that was in it were 3 euros and a cheap cell phone. But that bag was really worth my 5 euros and there's no way into it short of cutting it (which I'm well aware happens - but they can cut your pocket just as easily).

Melinda

#38388 - 03/20/03 03:48 PM Re: Madrid: Carrying a Purse
Serena Offline

Thanks for the tips... I'm gonna leave the purse behind smile

#38389 - 03/20/03 05:06 PM Re: Madrid: Carrying a Purse
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
I can only offer my opinion... I am not female and do not carry a purse.
Many women carry purses in Spain young and old. It is up to you. Of course if you eliminate the purse, you eliminate the risk. Consider other options while at home and "Practice" with it so it becomes familiar.

#38390 - 03/20/03 06:29 PM Re: Madrid: Carrying a Purse
DTW Offline

Loc: Dallas
A friend in New York City gave me this tip about carrying a purse. Wear a small sholder purse with a hefty strap diagonally across you chest (like a sash), then wear your coat or jacket over it. This works very well during the cooler months when jackets are necessary. It worked for us last time we were in Spain.

#38391 - 03/20/03 06:34 PM Re: Madrid: Carrying a Purse
Espe3 Offline

First of all, Coach or not, that's one brand that is not known over there, so if you're thinking someone will snatch it because of that, I'd say no. A purse is a purse, and most likely has money, that's what they're thinking and pretty much it. The fact that its a purse that hugs close to you, that's a good thing. Most of my purses are that kind too.

Its hard for anyone to say take a purse or not with you... if you wear a fanny pack, you will scream tourist and won't be any safer! If you're going to get mugged, it will happen, like you said, the best you can do is to be aware.

I only had my purse stolen once, and it was pretty stupid- a friend and I were taking turns holding the small bag as I told her I'd hold her stuff also- we were in a bar at the beach where another close friend worked and its was mostly empty and although its a nice bag easily and comfortably held in one hand, she didn't want to hold it and set it up on the bar. Shortly thereafter, the bar started to fill up and I went to get the purse because I didn't think it was safe, and sure enough, the purse was gone!

I was lucky- we did end up finding it, with my ID's but the money, lighter and my favorite lipstick were gone!(What someone would want with a used lipstick is beyond me!) Oh well, nothing that couldn't be replaced! I am a bit paranoid about the passport(too much of a pain if it gets lost/stolen), so no, I don't carry it around with me, I'm comfortable enough there that I really don't feel there's a need- I had my US drivers license and a student ID in there, both of which were recuperated. I also don't go out dancing with any Credit cards, I carry the money I've got with me, and if one of my guy friends is with me, I usually give them some to hold for me- just to have some in a different place.

The thieves are getting pretty gutsy- if you don't carry a purse, they're going to imagine that you're carrying money on you SOMEWHERE! So, either carry a purse and don't put everything in there (i've done that to, in pockets, bra, even my shoe!) so if they want to take something- they'll go for the obvious (so if you don't want to loose your Coach- take a less expensive purse) or risk being held up at knife point and made to prove you don't have any cash on you or even have them check for themselves! Your call. Just do what you think makes best sense.

#38392 - 03/20/03 10:48 PM Re: Madrid: Carrying a Purse
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
What are people's take on how best to carry valuables? I bought a security belt to take with me but it doesn't seem all that easy to access as needed. I figure I'll carry cash, one credit card, my drivers license (for ID - I figure it's the thing I can afford to lose most), and a copy of my passport leaving the original, my ATM card, and other credit cards locked up. I was also thinking of carrying an old wallet with a couple of euros in my back pocket as a "decoy" hoping any pickpockets will go for the easy pickings first. Any thoughts?

#38393 - 03/23/03 04:28 PM Re: Madrid: Carrying a Purse
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
You can purchase a money belt that ties around your leg for items that don't need to be accessed on the spot. I carry a holster money belt if I'm wearing a sweater over a shirt. However, options get trickier as the weather gets hotter. I carry a big purse like a sash but never have my wallet with 'real money' in it. I have a wallet with a wad of 'Canadian Tire' money in it for muggers. However, I've never been mugged. If anyone wants to know what 'Canadian Tire' money is, I'd be quite happy to explain. No red-blooded Canadian male would ever need to ask that question! wink

#38394 - 03/23/03 04:35 PM Re: Madrid: Carrying a Purse
Serena Offline

Thank you for all the tips. I like the idea of wearing a purse with a long strap across your chest and under your coat, that would be nearly impossible to snatch off you. Also it hides it pretty good. I think that's what I'll do. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments