Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3830 - 03/25/02 08:20 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Nevada and Calibasco,Do you think this is this the same as the Parador de Turismo de Cuenca listed in Frommers as governmnet sponsored converted XVI monestary? It is located a half mile NW of town. Do you have an email or # for the place you described?

#3831 - 03/26/02 07:04 AM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
nevado Offline

I think what you're referring to is the Parador in Cuenca, Cuenca (XVI century convent). Alarcon is in the province of Cuenca but quite far (89 km) from the city of Cuenca. You can access them on the web (Parador website) or contact them directly- their # is 969 33 03 15 fax 969 33 03 03, e-mail alarcon@parador.es Be sure and ask to stay in the tower. In the previous post I put that it was off the N-II, it's actually the N-III (sorry)! smile

#3832 - 03/27/02 02:37 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Is Alarcón beyond Cuenca (the city) toward Valencia, or nearer Madrid? Sorry, I don't have a map handy. The Posada San Jose and Hotel Leonara de Aquitania (I've mispelled it) in Cuenca are charming possibilities, although not castles. I wasn't able to use the link to the latter. I think they may both be recommended in Alastair Sawday's Guide (and you know how I like it).

#3833 - 03/27/02 05:04 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
nevado Offline

Alarcon is equidistant between Madrid and Valencia- it's a straight shot from Madrid (takes around an hour and a half, depending on your driving)! smile It's 89 km. south of the city of Cuenca.
If traveling from Madrid you'll need to exit the N-III and travel on the old N-III (before they constructed the highway) about 12 Km. toward Motilla de Palancar. There will be signs for Alarcon and Motilla de Palancar of the highway. The 12 km. drive is quite pleasant, passing over the rio Jucar.
If traveling from Cuenca, take the N-320 to Motilla de Palancar and head west on the old N-III about 14 km.

#3834 - 04/08/02 12:57 AM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Correct: Alarcón is on the way to Valencia...that's actually how we ended up there, as we were headed to Valencia.

Most of the paradors are monasteries, pazos, etc., but Alarcón is all castle. The pazos are more in Galicia, as that was more of the style there.

Although not a castle or a monastery, I recommend the Hotel Acueducto in Segovia, as long as you get a city-facing room. I've stayed there twice and have gotten a city-facing room both times. We had a little balcony which faced the aqueduct and the city walls. With the golden lights illuminating the city at night, the view is "sin par". Since the entire casco viejo is a monument, you won't feel as you're not inside a castle...you'll feel like your inside history. (Besides, at the Acueducto, you're only about 50m from Mesón Cándido and darn good cochinillo)...

#3835 - 04/21/02 11:44 AM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Well, I've continued researching--looking for castle accommodations. Alaracon does sound fantastic, although a little out of our way. Still, just an hour and a half from Barajas--could be a very impressive first night's stay for our friends, first time visitors to Spain. What could I anticipate as far as driving time from Alarcon to Granada?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments