Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38285 - 12/11/02 12:54 AM Spain Helps in the War on Terror
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I'm not sure if this is a "safety & security" issue, but I ran across this article today on ABC News detailing the Spanish navy's involvement in Operation Enduring Freedom. Gracias por echarnos una mano, amigos...

#38286 - 12/11/02 10:15 AM Re: Spain Helps in the War on Terror
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Thank you for sharing, Cali. This is really scary, but it is heartening to see evidence that nations like Spain are working together to ameliorate this type of threat! Three cheers for the Captains and Crews of the Navarra and Patina!

#38287 - 12/12/02 09:17 AM Re: Spain Helps in the War on Terror
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yeah, right!

But did you know that the Spanish navy had to release the ship because they received an order from Bush´s governement to release it?

It seems they intercepted a "legal" ship!!! Actually, both the US and Spain had to present their excuses to the government of Yemen.

go to http://www.europapress.es/europa2001/abierto/noticia.asp?cod=20021212134307

#38288 - 12/13/02 12:58 AM Re: Spain Helps in the War on Terror
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Yeah, I heard that...it all seemed a bit fishy to me though...scuds mixed in with cement. Quite the sundry variety of goods, eh? confused

#38289 - 12/13/02 07:27 PM Re: Spain Helps in the War on Terror
Roe Offline

Loc: california
I heard that in theory it was legal because the ship wasn´t flying a flag and therefore not following international maritime law. For some reason allowing more arms to be imported to an area like the middle east doesn´t sound like a good idea.

#38290 - 12/15/02 04:59 AM Re: Spain Helps in the War on Terror
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Some in the US have suggested the search was illegal, but in my opinion the War on Terror provides certain liberties, and thus "legality" is a tricky issue. Although the search may have been in violation of international law, let's face it folks, none of us probably want a SCUD missile aimed at us. Yemen is considered a US "ally" (remember the recent, successful CIA mission within its borders), but my money is on better safe than sorry ideology. I say search away... wink

#38291 - 12/16/02 12:00 PM Re: Spain Helps in the War on Terror
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by Vega on 12-16-2002 11:46 AM]

Hats off to the crews of the Spanish Frigate Navarra and the supply ship Patino for tracking down a Korean ship carrying 15 scud missiles to Yemen. That's fifteen less missiles we all have to worry about. Moreover, capturing a ship like this is extra sweet for Spain in particular. For, it was pirates that terrorized Spanish boats in the Atlantic and Carribean back during the Spanish/Americas colonial days. The British Navy had even hired pirates to raid Spanish ships. Well, at least these pirates didn't get away! The Spanish Navy just got one back.

--------------------
~~~Podes Adelante~~~

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38292 - 12/16/02 05:28 PM Re: Spain Helps in the War on Terror
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Whenever someone tells me that Yemen is our ally, I just smile and remind them of the old adage;

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Wolf wink

#38293 - 12/16/02 07:56 PM Re: Spain Helps in the War on Terror
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Quote:
Whenever someone tells me that Yemen is our ally, I just smile...
Indeed! The corrupt regimes of the Middle East are certainly in a precarious position. On one hand they have a volatile populace, increasingly militant, and disgusted with their leaders, and on the other they must play international power politics. Like the House of Saud, most Middle East nations have become (or always were) two headed monsters. One head deals with their people, and the other with Europe, the US, Japan, and the like. As Wolf writes, Yemen may be an "ally" on paper, but we'd be naive to think they're our friends.

#38294 - 12/20/02 08:19 PM Re: Spain Helps in the War on Terror
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
If ALL the arms shipments in the region were stopped, that might be newsworthy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/16/international/16MILI.html Here´s an article of interest.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments