Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38265 - 12/04/02 02:45 AM Re: Be Prepared.
laocan Offline

Katherine. The policemen you saw at Gran Via probably were the same ones I saw last Thursday at 11 am. There was a demonstration scheduled that morning.

#38266 - 12/04/02 09:11 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Katherine Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Thursday at about 11am sounds about right for when I passed on the Gran Via. Had I known that there was a demostration, I would have hung around to watch! I tried to walk slowly around to see if anything would happen like famous people arriving, but nothing did, so I left the area.

#38267 - 12/04/02 01:10 PM Re: Be Prepared.
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
...booklady, are you organizing a MadridMan walletbra fashion show or anything? Do they make a "BRO" for men with the same features? smile

As for all the other posts, just be wary and you won't get pinched. I do like the yelling and pointing that Chica did to the Five-Fingered Phillie. ¡Eso es!

In Italy, we just chased them down and they gave back the cash...

#38268 - 12/04/02 03:29 PM Re: Be Prepared.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I loved Electracity's advice about what to do when people ask what time it is...I am always too trusting about this (in any country) and it's really easy to simply say "I don't know" or tell the approximate time. When people are doing this to try to scam you or rob you, all they want is to redirect your attention a little, and if you have a quick answer, you don't seem nearly as vulnerable!

#38269 - 12/09/02 07:58 PM Re: Be Prepared.
charlost Offline

Loc: madrid ahora en buenos aires
Hi, i´m from madrid. i have never had any problem with any thief, i,m sorry but when i´ve seen the messages about pickpockets these looked to me very poors. i´ve been in london, paris, praha etc, all around europe, in everywhere i´ve been advised about pickpockets. i can do two things, look around me like a paranoiac everytime and everywhere o just stay in the Carlos Bridge in praha looking the beatiful moldava. Yes you have to be careful but here, and anywhere. When there are many tourist there are more pickpockets too.

#38270 - 12/10/02 12:40 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Wonderful advice... I'm a New Yorker and have only had two bad experiences, one of them being in Seville. I was pick pocketed in New York when I was 16 and ever since I have never carried more than $5 in my bag. Everything else goes in pockets, coats, even shoes if I have nothing else - spread out so if the worst case scenario happens, I don't lose everything. And I never keep important ID in any kind of bag.

The Sevilla incident was very frightening. I was with three friends and we were leaving a bar at around 1 AM. Two of them were from small towns and another girl and I were from large cities. She and I picked up immediately on two men following us down the alley. We both knew exactly what was going to happen, but what can you do when you're just four girls and two are clueless of what's about to happen.

I was the one grabbed. One grabbed my bag and the other grabbed my hair. I was attacked for two reasons:
1) I had a bag that I carried in my hand wrapped around my wrist three times (though really, all it contained was a cheap movil and 3 euros)
2) My hair goes down to my waist.

They dragged me halfway down the alley by my hair while all four of us screamed hysterically. Luckily there was an outdoor bar not even half a block away and a bunch of men came over to help us. The thieves didn't get anything from me, but it was a frightening experience and it's taught me to always wear my hair up when I go out in a neighborhood that isn't well populated at night.

Also, if you carry a purse, always keep it on the side away from the street. Those motos go fast and I know more than one person who's had their bag snatched by someone on a moto.

Melinda

#38271 - 12/11/02 01:02 PM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Thanks for the info! It is stories like this that help us all. We can learn from each other.
I was in Barcelona during the olympics, and was out late at night in a restaurant/ bar. I was rather far from my hostal and did not like the prospect of walking there alone at 2 in the morning. I asked some of the friends I met during the course of the night where they were staying and the word got around that a group of us were leaving in about 1/2 an hour. We all met by the entrance and left as a large group of about 10 to 12 people, all of us going in more or less the same direction. As we got to major intersections, some or our group broke off into smaller ones of about 4-5 people. I made it all the way to my hostal with 4 other people who were also staying there. During the long walk, I managed to talk to many people in the group. It was a lot of fun, and due to our large numbers very safe.

#38272 - 12/17/02 04:56 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Ron Clarey Offline

The only time I was robbed was on the Rastro when a man tried to pick my pocket but could not get past all the junk I had put in my pocket on top of the money, maps, menus etc I picked up along the way. The second time was with in 20 mins when a man dropped some coins and invited me to pick them upI naturally declined but his partner tried to charge me down to the floor which was weird because I am 6 foot 3 and built like a tank, he just bounced off me especially the second time when I charged him back. I know you are supposed to blend in and look like a local but I found that hard to do as I am very pale (due to a lousy summer in England) and well above average height and build for Spain. The only police around were at the bottom of the market on the main street having a cig break it would have taken me ages to get through the crowd to them. The thieves took nothing and I was forced to go back to my hotel because I was shaken up. I recovered a little while later and went out again but not to the Rastro. In England some markets when they see a known pickpocket the stall holders shout out to each other that there is a pickpocket on the scene and the pickpocket soon disappears. Spain was the only country I have been to apart from Italy (Rome) where I have felt intimidated by thieves which is a shame because I found the locals to be very friendly and helpful all I have to do now is to teach them English :-)as I do not speak Spanish.

#38273 - 12/18/02 12:27 PM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Interesting. The old "drop a few coins" trick. Watch out for any thing that is designed to divert your attention.
Another good one is when you are unaware they splash you with some type of liquid (it may look like bird dropping), and then someone comes to your rescue with some paper towels and offers to help. Or they may "splash" your shoes. This forces the victim to bend over, again distracting you.
Watch out for someone in need of help. It may be a distraction.
Thanks for your story.

#38274 - 12/19/02 11:30 AM Re: Be Prepared.
SRedw Offline

Here is a web page dedicated to STREET SCAMS OF BARCELONA. It applies to the majority of Europe.

http://www.jones.tc/barna/scams.html

Happy reading,

Shawn

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 816 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments