Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38245 - 11/26/02 05:29 PM Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
I like the topic of safety and security.
There are always some new Tips and tricks to learn. I have seen quite a few things and learned a few tricks that I would like to share in hopes that others will also post theirs.

Be prepared. Go throught "what if" senarios before you leave home. Ie: what if I loose this bag, or wallet. What if some drunk bum approaches me in Seville? etc.
Leave your nice chains and jewelry at home. I have a cheap timex watch. If someone threatens me for it, they can have it. Carry SOME cash in your front pocket at all times. If someone is robbing you, you at least have something to hand over. It should include CHANGE that you will drop as you hand it over. This will distract the thief, giving you a window of 1 sec in which you can.....run away?
Be warry of those who ask you what time it is. They may be sizing you up in one of many ways. I am aways aware of the time and when asked I never flinch, without skipping a beat or breaking stride, and not looking at my watch I answer. So what if I'm 15-20min off?? By the way they are only asking you the time beacause they SEE you have a watch on.
I have been followed before in Pamplona (by an "ordinary" looking male). I don't know why. I am male (athletic), married (I was alone at the time). The incident started by him asking me what time it was. I kept an eye on him and after "testing" him noticed that it was not coincidence(going the same direction). I went into a store, he came in, I crossed the street, he crossed. I decided then that I would lead him into a trap where I would knock him out and leave him unconscious, but I came to my senses as I pictured the guardia civil interogating me. I lead him through crowded streets and timed my j- walking so that if he dared follow, he would have been hit by a car. Needless to say I lost him.
Watch who is around you and who is watching you, it has to be second nature.

I used to like wearing a HIP BAG, some call it a fanny bag etc. I don't like them any more and they can be defeated. If you do have one, don't put your papers in there( ie: passport, plane tickets etc.)It is only good for things like a pen, some chicklets, and your entry tickets to the museum. I would rather have a small, managable DAYPACK, (small back pack). In it I have my small "do everything" camera, a small umbrella (for sun or rain)and perhaps some food/clothes. The pack can serve you as a shield in knife attacks. Get used to putting in on and off quickly. My important documents are on me.

Some people like a NECK POUCH. I thinks its suicide. Any one can grab it and choke you with it, (then rob you). The "money belts" I find to be, hot, and very uncomfortable. I've even seen them sticking out of peoples pants.Or they access them in public. What use is it in that case? I have a under arm "holster" money belt. It is never in the way and I make sure that it cannot be seen under my shirts. I never access it in public.

Have Rugged shoes on. How can you defend yourself or your loved ones wearing sandals. Thieves notice this and know that you would never give chase. By the way, leave the COWBOY boots at home, not only for the sandals reason but you may find yourself being made fun of by some 110 kg/ 220 lb local "tuff guy".
Leave your "BALL CAPS" at home. The only place you may pass with one is on the beach.

I like to wear sun glasses. I see better with them in bright situations even overcast but secondly they protect you eyes from dust and air born items and irritants. Some thieves use pepper spray and other irritants, glasses may give you that "golden one second" to ......run away?
Glasses also hide your eyes as you glance around.

I like front pocket on my shirts and T's. The only thing is that the "gitanas" will try to stuff them with flowers. Watch for this distraction, you may get your pocket picked. Also if you reach out and take the flower, be ready to pay for it. Don't put anything in your back pockets. I have heard of "Decoy wallets" but to me that is attracting unwanted attention. I would rather walk past unnoticed.

Watch your bag in restaurants and cafes. Especially where there is a bus terminal or the like. Don't take your bags to the washroom. Have your partner watch them as you go and visa-versa.
Two of you taking the bus?? Have one go in and get 2 seats the other stands outside until your bags are loaded in the bus. I have seen leaches eye bags and the owners, when the owner in on the bus, the leach takes the bag.

I have seen leaches (ie; thiefs) steel purses, pick pocket, break locks etc. There is so much to say, perhaps in future posts. Keep this thread going as we can share and learn from each other.

Agur, y hasta pronto!

#38246 - 11/27/02 10:19 AM Re: Be Prepared.
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
great post electracity...a LOT of good pointers...
i always play the "what if" game...always look for "escape" routes...and ALWAYS keep on eye open for scammers...attitude is everything! generally if the scum see that you are aware and alert they will find someone else to mess with...the last thig they want is a direct confrontation...they want you to be a block away before you realize your wallet is gone...
i totally agree about the "neck wallet", in fact i don't wear anything around my neck...why give them a weapon...
one thing about using a day pack...DON'T wear it...i sling it over one shoulder and keep changing sides...a moving target is harder to hit...plus if it is on your back it is out of your sight and vulnerable...
also keep your wits about you...on vacation it is only natural to "let go" and maybe over imbibe...the only time i was assaulted was in amsterdam returning to my hostel in the wee hours after the clubs had closed...luckily i wasn't as trashed as he thought i was...so when he moved along side of me and started with the non-stop chatter i knew exactly what was going on...i sensed his hand going into my jacket pocket so i just took a good step to the side and when he was stretched out i wrapped him up and locked his elbow...the look of panic on his face was priceless...i told him to find another line of work because he sucked as a pickpocket...i thought about snapping it but didn't have the heart...guess he caught me on a good day.
but the best way to prevent problems is BE ALERT! if you are already distracted the pickpocket's job is half done...

#38247 - 11/27/02 09:18 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
You guys scared the heck out of me! eek Oh Boy! And here I thought I was so safe with my neck pouch! eek frown
Well, no matter, I am getting the brassiere that Churrocaliente recommended from Victoria Secret with the secret compartment to hide valuables! wink

#38248 - 11/27/02 11:24 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Espe3 Offline

Booklady, the neck pouch, when its visible (the straps on some of them aren't very inconspicious) or worn on the outside (and, yes people wear them that way too!) is not a good idea. I think that women have a little bit of an advantage, like with the 'miracle bra' (the Victoria's Secret bra you mentioned- by the way, great bra, and if you don't want the extra padding you just take the 'miracle' out! and its still a great bra! smile ) with some of our accessories.

I was just thinking about my purses... I don't like purses without a zipper.. it just makes it that much easier! But with the new styles being having much shorter straps and carried closer under the arm, it makes it harder also since you have it hugged so close! smile Or even with the messenger bags (and guys use them too!) mine has a zipper AND a flap, not just a flap. I like it because when its crowed or there are lots of people around, I can just have it in front of me, since I usually sling it over me diagionally anyway smile

But we could go around and around this subject- but we've all said it a million times before, its a matter of precaution. That's the best anyone can do.

#38249 - 11/28/02 10:19 AM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

I guess we are not trying to go around and around the topic. What I hope we are doing is highlighting advantages and DISadvantages of items that we travel with.

A good point was made before: If you have a bag or back pack,in a crowded area,it is a good point to "keep moving" (within reason!) even when standing still. This makes it harder for someone to slip a hand in your bag etc. When on the metro, I flip my daybag around to my front. Practice this at home with the bag you will bring to see if any straps (the bags top handle) poke you in the neck when you do this.

The bag mentioned in the previous post, the "courier/delivery" bag? I realize that they are all the rage now, but if I may, I find them difficult to use. The "FLAP" is bigger then Dumbos ears and whenever you need to access the bag, you have to flop open the flap. Doing this in your living room is propably ok, but imagine doing this in a crowded store, in a line up to by bus tickets, in the "Rastro" flea market etc. You get the point.

The neck pouch can be ok for some people if used properly and not worn outside the shirt as someone mentioned. (I've seen this too). I don't like them for the same reason police/security do not wear ties, (smart ones wear clip ons), you are giving your assailant a handle to control you by.
When traveling, my wife does not carry a purse. If she is to wear one she wears it diagonally and always between us when we walk together or the purse faces away from the street when we cannot walk side by side.
Yes there are pouches that are designed to clip/snap onto bras, this could be a good way to go for some, as they can have their plane tickets etc on them at all times.

#38250 - 11/28/02 11:57 AM Re: Be Prepared.
picard8427 Offline

Loc: Toronto
Thanks Electracity for the great tips. I try to follow most of them on a recent trip and still ran into problems. I think that while I agree it can happen anywhere, including at home, it seems to happen with greater frequency in Madrid than many other cities in Europe that I've been to. And if I'm constantly wondering whether my wallet is still in my (or someone else's!!) pocket, and which way I should fling my backpack towards and don't let too many people get close to you, how can I maximally enjoy the culture/scenery/ people ???

#38251 - 11/28/02 12:40 PM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

As I said in the first post, the instinct has to be second nature, auto-pilot. Your "radar" has to be on. Believe me, when I travel I enjoy it to the fullest. The chocolate con churros taste just as sweet.

#38252 - 11/29/02 01:20 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
All I have to say after reading all these posts. Is thank god i live in the USA!! Man! Our cops are right on this ****!! Pickpockets have gone out of style where I live. Philly & NYC! 2 Big Cities. I guess its also second nature to keep my stuff in front of me at all times though. Its also second nature to be in shape to kick some leaches' ass! YEAH! It sucks we have to fly into Spain, otherwise I'd bring my uzi and cap all those suckas! eek :p
BTW: what are all the cops doing in Spain that there are sooo many incidents of this nature???!! Corrupt Gov't in Europe or what?! confused

#38253 - 11/29/02 03:56 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Shazz... I donīt agree with you! frown I recall once almost being pickpocketed in Philadelphia while enjoying a concert during the 4th of July in front of the Art Museum. I got shoved from behind and caught some a*hole with his hand in my purse. I grabbed his arm so fast and shouted PICKPOCKETER! Of course everyone turned around and he, absolutely horrified, slunk away. Although you are right in that perhaps the incidents of "minor crimes" are higher in the touristy areas of other countries, Spain included. But, look at the incidents of violent crimes and I would say that Spain is a much safer bet than some of the big cities in the USA. eek

I think the point to make is that regardless of where you are, when you are on vacation (or just in your hometown enjoying a concert wink , donīt leave your common sense and street smarts at home. Be sure to pack them as well, and take them out and use them while enjoying your vacation.

#38254 - 11/29/02 05:32 AM Re: Be Prepared.
DaisyE Offline

I am rather sure that most of Europe is quite a lot safer than The US. I lived in London for 4 1/2 year with out even once having problems. Denmark where I am from is one of the safest places in the world and Spain where I live now (Madrid)does not have half as many tourists as London but here I have to be on my gard all the time from pickpockets because the police does nothing....
This is unreal in a city of this size and I know it is a bit of a sensitive political subject as well. At the moment my Spanish sucks but that will improve and so will my prostests both written and oral. If I pay tax I also want security........

#38255 - 11/29/02 09:41 AM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Shazz, I wouldn't go to that extreme. We know Madrid is comparitively safe, and I would prefer a non violent approach. Hey, were you the "superhero" at the San Fermines with the American Flag as a cape? Just KIDDING!!

#38256 - 11/29/02 11:23 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Espe3 Offline

Shazz, just because it seems the police don't do anything, doesn't mean they don't. Problem is, by the time you find a cop, the thief is long gone and there's really no way to find them. So unless you get lucky and are standing next to a cop when you're in need, what do you expect them to do?! The same you'd in NYC! File a report and that's about it. I don't see what that has to do with having a corrupt government or not. Sure we've got our share of crooks in the gov't, name me one country that DOESN'T, but its NOTHING like latin america or 3rd world countries!

I think that part of the pickpocket problem is also because it seems like it happens more often to tourists, that because of time constraints or language barriers, these crimes aren't reported enough, so its hard to track and figure out some kind of solution, like more cops on the street... I don't know for sure, but I think its a possibility.

Whether it be a pickpocketer or not, where there are tourists... and there will be people looking to make some easy money. Like a friend of mine when we were in High School and went to NYC, they TOLD him not to do the 3 card trick-you know, the one where you have to pick the right card after they've been mixing them up.. well, after seeing somebody win, he thought he could too and lost $120!!!!!!!!! Silly , silly boy!

Be cautious, be aware, a little more so than you would be in your home city... but it could happen just as easily in your hometown. Things just get a little more complicated when a tourist is in a place where they don't speak the language.

#38257 - 11/29/02 01:44 PM Re: Be Prepared.
big jamon Offline

bascially what we're talking about here are "street smarts" ...they can't be taught they can only be learned...
those of us who've spent some time on the "dark side" have already learned our lessons...all those late nights out clubbing and walking the streets, hanging out in dingy bars and poolhalls, livin' on the edge and crossing the line occasionally, well they've served a purpose...those experiences help create a 6th sense, that feeling that tells you "something stinks"
you learn to be aware of who and what are going on around you...you know that the guy asking you the time is sizing you up...you know that the kids swarming around you begging are looking for an opening...you know what's hiding in the shadows...and you know how to avoid and evade them...
there is no reason to be paranoid...i never let my sense of awareness interfere with my enjoyment of the journey...if i did that what would be the point of travalling...but you have to be alert, that is rule #1!
don't be afraid of the dirtbags...just remember they're out there...and they're looking for an easy buck (euro) just don't let it be yours.

#38258 - 11/29/02 08:14 PM Re: Be Prepared.
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Shazz, I'm of a mind to agree with you. I've never run up against pickpocketers here in the U.S. I lived in Spain twenty-two years ago and have returned three times. This last time I returned to Spain, last October, was my first (two) encounters with crime.
I agree that the good ol' U.S. has a much better handle on this sort of crime. When I went to the station and reported my encounter with the thieves of Madrid, the police couldn't be more sympathetic, but they explained that because of manpower and bureaucracy, they couldn't do much about the problem. But the lack of police presence, in my mind, is not the root of the problem. The problem is the illegal foreigners in Spain. This is a problem that needs addressing by the government not the police.
Twenty-two years ago, the police were on every Plaza and street corner with machine guns. Let me tell you, things were quiet. Now, because of the cost I can see why this can't be done. But how about undercover cops dressed as tourist doing a sting operation. You and I both could perform this service for Spain. I suppose that catching these miscreants would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Heck, they'd have to open a new jail in Madrid to support this operation.
Several people have told me that the Spanish have thrown their hands up about the situation. I'd really like to know what they have ever done about it? Perhaps our Spanish friends will shed some light?

#38259 - 11/30/02 07:17 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
The only trouble I've ever had in Madrid was during my first vist to the city in 1986, when my brand new winter jacket was pinched from a bar... I hadn't been keeping my eye on it... but luckily my wallet was in the front pocket of my jeans. I think we have to remember that violent crime attacks on tourists are very rare in Spain and you can be sure that when they do happen they are taken very seriously by the Spanish police. Keep your money on your person and leave everything of value in your hotel room safe. I know it is diffcult if you have, for example, your camera with you on the street - just be aware of who's around you but don't get paranoid about it. I have wandered all over Madrid at all times of the day and night and have never been threatened (touch wood!). Trying to blend in with your surroundings is a good idea and take all the normal precautions but don't let worry or fear of being mugged spoil your time there. Madrid, in my opinion, is no more dangerous than any other large European city.

#38260 - 12/02/02 09:56 AM Re: Be Prepared.
big jamon Offline

the reason there aren't machine-gun toting cops on every corner has NOTHING to do with money...it has to do with the fact that spain is no longer a dictatorship...and i for one would rather keep it that way...i'd much rather be responsible for my own day to day security than entrust it to the gov't...any gov't...
the US may not have the pickpocket problem of spain or italy but believe me there are plenty of other scams being run...plus here in the good old USA direct violent confrontation is a much more common method of separating one from their valuables...
and quit blaming this on immigrants...once the "walls" go up kiss the easy travel between countries goodbye...

#38261 - 12/02/02 03:30 PM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Well...a few guardia civiles (and their machine guns)I wouldn't mind. But your right, a police state we don't want either. I did see a "STING" operation in Paris, right in front of Notre Dame cathedral. Plain clothes police were quietly rounding up a group of gysies and taking them OUT of the plaza in front of the Notre Dame. They gathered up the entire "family".

During the summer months in Madrid and other cities large cities perhaps the police should patrol the tourist sites watching out for occurences. I know a police woman in Madrid and I will ask her what they do for street crime.

The Gypsies in Paris were basically setting up "opportunities" Pick pocket , begging for money, selling roses etc. I had a VERY pretty one (about 17 years old) hold up a sign that said "Do you speak english?" If you say yes (and which red blooded single male would not?)she would flip the card over to reveal a short sob story of how she came from (Bularia?) and she has no family, buy her a what ever ...give her money...etc.
You realize that going along with this could open you up to pick pocketing, a date that would separate you from your wallet etc. Watch out for the pretty girl trap.

#38262 - 12/02/02 06:39 PM Re: Be Prepared.
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Big Jamon, I lived in Spain from 1977 until 1980, a few years after the "Dictatorship." That's when I saw the gun-toting cops on every corner.
But I really wouldn't want to see them there again. I don't expect any government to provide for my personal security, but when the streets are full of pickpockets and scammers, a heavier show of police force should thin these guys out, and make for a less nerve-racking vacation.
I still haven't heard from any of our Spanish friends as far as what measures have ever been taken to rid Madrid of this problem. It seems to me the soft approach to these crimes encourages this behavior?
Life in Madrid was so much nicer, believe me, when you didn't have to have eyes in the back of your head, your hand over your wallet, and a three-foot clearance between everyone else while walking.

#38263 - 12/03/02 09:52 AM Re: Be Prepared.
big jamon Offline

i'll pass on the stronger police presence...next thing you know all the cities i love will be sanitized like times sq in NYC...or las vegas...they've been turned into themeparks for families...mere relics of their former selves.
i'll take my chances out there...but then i guess my view is slanted by the fact that i'm not a usual target for thieves...i'm only 5'7" but i'm built like a firehydrant...not someone they want to mess with...thieves are pretty good at reading body language...and my usually says..."no trespassing!"
and that is the real lesson...thieves and pickpockets feed on weakness...project strength and attitude and 9 times out of 10 they'll feed somewhere else...

#38264 - 12/03/02 01:44 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Katherine Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I was in Madrid last week. I was alone for the entire time, but yet had no problems at all with pickpockets or anything.

One thing that I noticed that was different from previous trips is that there were large groups of policemen hanging out in certain areas at certain times. One day, I saw about five or six police wagons and maybe ten policemen on the Gran Via. I thought that something was happening, but they just stood there smoking. Another day, I saw a large group of policemen near the Prado standing around and smoking. On my last night, there was a group of policemen near the Puerta del Sol also standing and smoking.

I did have a couple of opportunities to be pickpocketed. A woman with a branch of rosemary ran to me with her arm extended and wanted to give it to me. However, I saw her coming, so I didn't let her get close and never stopped moving. Another time, two guys tried to walk up to me. One called me "mi amor" while the other one tried to get behind me. I had seen them coming from a distance and had already decided to avoid them before they tried to talk to me. I just kept walking faster and didn't respond or stop despite their greeting.

I saw some gypsy girls in the Puerta del Sol almost everyday, but I never saw them doing anything but fighting among themselves. On my last day, I did see one of them carrying a "baby" and wondered what she was going to do with it, but she was busy arguing with her fellow gypsy then too.

I guess I was successful in not being pickpocketed because I always kept moving and always kept watching what was going around me and in a distance in front of me. I also held onto my purse tightly in front of me and left most of my money in my hotel safe.

#38265 - 12/04/02 02:45 AM Re: Be Prepared.
laocan Offline

Katherine. The policemen you saw at Gran Via probably were the same ones I saw last Thursday at 11 am. There was a demonstration scheduled that morning.

#38266 - 12/04/02 09:11 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Katherine Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Thursday at about 11am sounds about right for when I passed on the Gran Via. Had I known that there was a demostration, I would have hung around to watch! I tried to walk slowly around to see if anything would happen like famous people arriving, but nothing did, so I left the area.

#38267 - 12/04/02 01:10 PM Re: Be Prepared.
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
...booklady, are you organizing a MadridMan walletbra fashion show or anything? Do they make a "BRO" for men with the same features? smile

As for all the other posts, just be wary and you won't get pinched. I do like the yelling and pointing that Chica did to the Five-Fingered Phillie. ĄEso es!

In Italy, we just chased them down and they gave back the cash...

#38268 - 12/04/02 03:29 PM Re: Be Prepared.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I loved Electracity's advice about what to do when people ask what time it is...I am always too trusting about this (in any country) and it's really easy to simply say "I don't know" or tell the approximate time. When people are doing this to try to scam you or rob you, all they want is to redirect your attention a little, and if you have a quick answer, you don't seem nearly as vulnerable!

#38269 - 12/09/02 07:58 PM Re: Be Prepared.
charlost Offline

Loc: madrid ahora en buenos aires
Hi, iīm from madrid. i have never had any problem with any thief, i,m sorry but when iīve seen the messages about pickpockets these looked to me very poors. iīve been in london, paris, praha etc, all around europe, in everywhere iīve been advised about pickpockets. i can do two things, look around me like a paranoiac everytime and everywhere o just stay in the Carlos Bridge in praha looking the beatiful moldava. Yes you have to be careful but here, and anywhere. When there are many tourist there are more pickpockets too.

#38270 - 12/10/02 12:40 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Melinda328 Offline

Wonderful advice... I'm a New Yorker and have only had two bad experiences, one of them being in Seville. I was pick pocketed in New York when I was 16 and ever since I have never carried more than $5 in my bag. Everything else goes in pockets, coats, even shoes if I have nothing else - spread out so if the worst case scenario happens, I don't lose everything. And I never keep important ID in any kind of bag.

The Sevilla incident was very frightening. I was with three friends and we were leaving a bar at around 1 AM. Two of them were from small towns and another girl and I were from large cities. She and I picked up immediately on two men following us down the alley. We both knew exactly what was going to happen, but what can you do when you're just four girls and two are clueless of what's about to happen.

I was the one grabbed. One grabbed my bag and the other grabbed my hair. I was attacked for two reasons:
1) I had a bag that I carried in my hand wrapped around my wrist three times (though really, all it contained was a cheap movil and 3 euros)
2) My hair goes down to my waist.

They dragged me halfway down the alley by my hair while all four of us screamed hysterically. Luckily there was an outdoor bar not even half a block away and a bunch of men came over to help us. The thieves didn't get anything from me, but it was a frightening experience and it's taught me to always wear my hair up when I go out in a neighborhood that isn't well populated at night.

Also, if you carry a purse, always keep it on the side away from the street. Those motos go fast and I know more than one person who's had their bag snatched by someone on a moto.

Melinda

#38271 - 12/11/02 01:02 PM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Thanks for the info! It is stories like this that help us all. We can learn from each other.
I was in Barcelona during the olympics, and was out late at night in a restaurant/ bar. I was rather far from my hostal and did not like the prospect of walking there alone at 2 in the morning. I asked some of the friends I met during the course of the night where they were staying and the word got around that a group of us were leaving in about 1/2 an hour. We all met by the entrance and left as a large group of about 10 to 12 people, all of us going in more or less the same direction. As we got to major intersections, some or our group broke off into smaller ones of about 4-5 people. I made it all the way to my hostal with 4 other people who were also staying there. During the long walk, I managed to talk to many people in the group. It was a lot of fun, and due to our large numbers very safe.

#38272 - 12/17/02 04:56 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Ron Clarey Offline

The only time I was robbed was on the Rastro when a man tried to pick my pocket but could not get past all the junk I had put in my pocket on top of the money, maps, menus etc I picked up along the way. The second time was with in 20 mins when a man dropped some coins and invited me to pick them upI naturally declined but his partner tried to charge me down to the floor which was weird because I am 6 foot 3 and built like a tank, he just bounced off me especially the second time when I charged him back. I know you are supposed to blend in and look like a local but I found that hard to do as I am very pale (due to a lousy summer in England) and well above average height and build for Spain. The only police around were at the bottom of the market on the main street having a cig break it would have taken me ages to get through the crowd to them. The thieves took nothing and I was forced to go back to my hotel because I was shaken up. I recovered a little while later and went out again but not to the Rastro. In England some markets when they see a known pickpocket the stall holders shout out to each other that there is a pickpocket on the scene and the pickpocket soon disappears. Spain was the only country I have been to apart from Italy (Rome) where I have felt intimidated by thieves which is a shame because I found the locals to be very friendly and helpful all I have to do now is to teach them English :-)as I do not speak Spanish.

#38273 - 12/18/02 12:27 PM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Interesting. The old "drop a few coins" trick. Watch out for any thing that is designed to divert your attention.
Another good one is when you are unaware they splash you with some type of liquid (it may look like bird dropping), and then someone comes to your rescue with some paper towels and offers to help. Or they may "splash" your shoes. This forces the victim to bend over, again distracting you.
Watch out for someone in need of help. It may be a distraction.
Thanks for your story.

#38274 - 12/19/02 11:30 AM Re: Be Prepared.
SRedw Offline

Here is a web page dedicated to STREET SCAMS OF BARCELONA. It applies to the majority of Europe.

http://www.jones.tc/barna/scams.html

Happy reading,

Shawn

#38275 - 12/19/02 12:15 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Hi Shawn,
what a great page! Thanks for sharing it with us. I am finding this thread to be very useful. There are so many ingenious ways to get your money that do not even involve pickpocketting! My goodness! eek eek You can almost teach a class in this: Tips for the gullible traveler 101

#38276 - 12/19/02 02:48 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Uhm, where did I read about that website before... rolleyes

Booklady, a librarian should have better memory :p

#38277 - 12/19/02 10:17 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

But Antonio, you did not follow through. wink Look closely at the threads and you will note that I did not make a comment in any of the three threads you noted. Therefore, you cannot assume that I read and saw the site mentioned earlier.

It's not the case that I forgot the site, but more likely that I never saw these threads. I'm not interested in Barcelona yet. As a good librarian I generally catalog an interesting web site among my favorites. laugh

Unless of course you are remarking about my advanced age and bad memory hmmm? rolleyes laugh

#38278 - 01/03/03 11:27 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, Espaņa
Good topic. Some more information on thieves' ways from someone who lives in the Madrid area (and yes, I have been successfully targeted a couple of times). If a "drunk" does anything around your feet, especially if you are wearing long pants (ie. drops a lighter or other item, money, etc.) they probably are a thief with an accomplice, and the ruse is to grab your pants, lower their head so you cannot hit them while their accomplice picks your pocket. This happened to me on the Metro (subway). Especially on the Metro the thieves work in groups of 2 or more, one to distract, the others to rip you off. Do NOT expect help from the locals, they won't give it to you. By the way the police say it is your right to protect yourself, so haul off an WALLOP the SOB, hard, but beware they may have a knife!

Two more thieves' tricks are to pick your purse/backpack under a mapor newspaper while following you or asking you directions (a favorite of the Gitanos), and I have a model who was assaulted in Tirso de Molina (Barrio Lavapies) by pulling her hair from behind and snatching her purse. She is a former security guard, too! I have had my daypack picked from behind (my fault, should have acted on my sense of unease earlier), so if anyone, often a couple, is following you closely, they are probably up to no good. Watch out. Better to carry your daypack under one arm, with that arm wrapped around the bag, NOT sticking out behind. Carry only what you need, use the little luggage locks on all the zippers, and don't assume this will be enough!

Our landlady had her shopping bag ripped off in the restroom (when she was using the toilet) by a thief with a hook. Do not let your guard down, ever. Keep your billfold and passport either in your front pocket WITH YOUR HAND ON IT AT ALL TIMES, or in a shoulder holster! I always do, and got it stolen anyway by the thief in the Metro using the pant-grab technique. Never be overburdened when walking around. Take your cheapie camera, cheap watch with you, NOT your $2K video camera/Cannon 35mm wonder if you want to return with it.

After saying all this, don't be so freaked out that you don't have a good time. We all get ripped off sometime, the trick is to minimize the hassel by making the things you would have a difficult time replacing, like your passport, address book, etc. very difficult to swipe, and keeping it separate from things you need constantly. Separate your money into the main wad of cash, wrap it in plastic and ace bandage it to the back of your knee (not too tight!) and keep only enough for the next few hours in your accessable wallet, reload in a toilet stall when necessary. Don't wander around with a huge backpack or daypack full of guides, maps, books, cameras, etc., it will tire you out and make you a target. Use your common sense, remember you will be less alert when you are tired, hung over, drunk, stoned, jetlagged, hungry, gorged, etc. Report any theft IMMEDIATELY to the nearest police station and use the pay phone there to report any credit cards stolen. Mine was attemped to be used three hours later in Sevilla after being stolen in Madrid!

Above all, have a good time, travel smart and kudos to Madrid Man!

#38279 - 01/06/03 04:28 PM Re: Be Prepared.
madsue Offline

Loc: Canary Islands, Spain
Itīs been interesting reading this topic. The last time I was in Madrid I had my elderly parents with me and I told them to leave absolutely everything of value in the hotel. Myself, I carried a supermarket carrier bag with me, which held a cheap camera and a large bottle of water (thinking I could swing it at any nasty people!). I had a photocopy of my residencia in my back pocket and sufficient euros in my front jeans pocket to pay for lunch etc.

We were bothered just the once on the Sunday morning on the Paseo de Prada when a guy came running out of a hotel foyer, asking if we knew where the Bank of Lebanon(!) was so he could change some money into euros. He proceeded to show me his wallet full of varying currencies, and asked if I could show him what a euro looked like. I said I had none and that he should go back into the hotel and ask the receptionist to show him. He was very persistant, to the point where my father started reaching into his back pocket (I realised then that dad had NOT heeded my instructions!!). At this point another guy came out of the hotel doorway and hovered around. I had to be rude to the guy with the wallet and literaly push my parents away from him. I dread to think what would have happened if I had not been with them. They are of the old school and thought I was extremely rude to move them on from such a "friendly" person!!!

#38280 - 01/06/03 05:53 PM Re: Be Prepared.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
madsue, I love your idea of using a supermarket bag! That makes such good sense to me...a plastic bag from the grocery seems to be a fairly uninviting target and might make a traveler look less like a tourist.

I always felt like I "fit in" when I was out on a quick grocery run during my most recent visit to Spain (which I did to pick up fruit, water, chocolate, and other things a few times when my husband was back at the hostel)...probably partly because I wasn't toting all sorts of backpacks or totes around!

#38281 - 01/25/03 08:59 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Onegirlarmy Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Good thread, kids.
My American friend and I were checking out the train schedule at the Den Haag train station (NL) when a thief opened up her backpack and took out her wallet. Now most thieves hide it and start rifling through it when they are in safety, right? Not this moron. He turned away and started to throw out the bits that didnīt interest him (ATM receipts etc...) right there. My friend looks down and sees her own driverīs license at her feet. She swings around and sees the guy with her wallet, and furiously grabs it out of his hand and starts yelling at him. He starts stammering something in Marroccan and looks in general very bewildered. His friends are nearby and ask what is going on. We explain that he tried to rob us while my friend is checking the contents of her wallet. One of his friends actually starts yelling at the thief as well and grabs him by his lapels, saying that he is making a bad example for his people.
The thief, looking very miserable now, starts to run away, very slowly though. I give my friend my backpack and run after him. I catch up, grab him and slam him against the wall, furious. I donīt think a woman ever treated him like that... Right at that moment the station guard comes over to find out what the ruckus is about, and they book him. Heīd only been in the Netherlands a month, we find out, and was now looking at deportation...

#38282 - 01/27/03 04:17 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Andrés Offline

Ummmhhh Onegirlarmy, a good example of a very bad thief.
The truth is that these guys donīt seem to have such an easy life. Just the other day I read nn the newspaper that 4 Morocans had tried to rob two Chinese cooks at Cuatro Caminos Square at 4.oo in the morning on a Sunday. Sth went wrong and one of the Morocans got a lethal stab in the heart. Not an easy life, not at all.

AJ

#38283 - 01/28/03 12:24 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Onegirlarmy Offline

Loc: Barcelona
A friend of a friend who lives near Plaįa Reial (in Barcelona) got mugged the other day by (again) 3 Maroccans. They had her in such a grip that she fainted, and took everything she had on her, including her student identity card and immigration papers. When she went to the police she got hell from them because according to her passport her visa was expired and she couldnīt prove that she was in change of status...
Worst thing she still sees the 3 guys that robbed her everyday...

#38284 - 02/01/03 01:21 PM Re: Be Prepared.
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

When I was in Madrid last October, I run across "Mr. Bank of Lebanon." I met him early in the morning in Plaza Mayor. I'd seen him previous to that walking in the proximity of Plaza Mayor, and he always ask the same question, "Where's the Bank of Lebanon?" You'd think they could catch a thief with such a consistent mode of operation?
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I was robbed two days previously by another group of thieves, so I was cautious enough not to lose any money at this encounter. After I responded to his question, he tells me that he has Lebanese banknotes, he shows one to me, and then he asks to see a banknote from the U.S. I quickly walked away and found a guard at a government building. I explained to the guard in my rather lousy Spanish what was going on, and he contacted the police. "Mr. Bank of Lebanon" works with accomplices, I saw him give a signal when I started to walk quickly away when I realized what was going on. And, of course, he was long gone before the police arrived.
Madrid has certainly lost a lot of its charm with me. Who needs to take a vacation in a place where there is such a feeling of uncertainty about personal safety? Perhaps these types of theives resort to non-violent means, but this could change at any moment. I travel with my wife, and it would be devastating if anything would happen to either of us. I've known Madrid since 1977, and I can't says I'd spend more than three days there now, unless I hear its been cleaned up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 808 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments