Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3820 - 03/17/02 08:40 PM Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Well, it looks like another trip may be in the planning stages, this time with a group of friends (who shared in our Costa Rican adventure). Here's the first, of many questions: What is the best "castle" lodging, if any, in the following areas? Turegano/Segovia, Trujillo, Sevilla, Cordoba, area of the pueblos blanco (Jimena, Gaucin, Ronda, etc.), Granada, and Toledo? I realize that, most likely, accommodations would be in a parador. But, if you have any first hand experience or suggestions, I'd appreciate it. One of our friends would like to "stay in a castillo" although I certainly have a great selection of inns, B&Bs, hostales, etc. in mind.

#3821 - 03/20/02 12:38 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Nothing to recommend in these areas? Castles converted to paradors that are worth the money? Anything?

#3822 - 03/20/02 01:15 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Carole, I was interested in seeing a response to that question too. I do have an idea for you, though. I know I have seen books in Border's/Barnes & Noble about lodging in those types of places. I think there is one about "unique lodging in Spain & Portugal". It may not contain a lot of castles, but there were some cool looking places. There was another book I saw called "hip hotels" that had a crazy hotel somewhere in Spain that looked interesting. There is also a book exclusively on castle lodging in Europe, but as I remember most of those places were in Scotland and France. There MAY have been one in Spain.

I guess I go to the bookstore a lot, read, then not buy the book! I was planning a tentative trip to Spain/Portugal in May but that got changed to Greece. I still like to read/talk about Spain though. Good luck Carole!

#3823 - 03/20/02 09:01 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I noticed there seems to be more lodging in 16th century monasteries than true castles and maybe that would suit your friends just as well. We stayed in the monastery at San Millan de Cogolla in Rioja and it was wonderful (and Bancotel friendly!). Also north of Palencia on the way to Fromista was a castle that had been converted into a hotel in Mozon de Campas. I stopped in for a drink and in looked interesting and I think rooms started around 10000pts last summer. These aren't in the areas you mentioned but in case you decide on a different route...

#3824 - 03/21/02 10:37 AM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
el Puerto de Santa Maria is a ways from Sevilla but there's a 5-star Monasterio de San Miguel there - not a Castle, per se but close enough. rolleyes

#3825 - 03/21/02 02:36 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

It seems that most of the paradores are converted monasteries or palaces. The "stay in a castle" in Spain may not be an option. (We stayed in one in Tuscany that was fantastic!) I'll continue to research. I'm fond of the small inns, B&Bs, etc. recommended in Alastair Sawday's book. (Nope, I'm still not getting a commission on sales.) I know that it will again be my primary resource for lodging. We didn't go wrong once!

#3826 - 03/21/02 05:32 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
nevado Offline

I was married in the castle (Parador) in Alarcon, in Cuenca, half-way between Madrid and Valencia off the N-III (an hour and a half from Madrid). It's not really on your route but certainly worth the detour. It's really small (14 rooms) and in great shape. It's a VIII century castle and the rooms in the tower are the best (#5, if I recall correctly, is the nicest but it doesn't have a "cama de matrimonio") smile The dining room is beautiful with great food. It overlooks the Embalse de Alarcon. There are a couple other castles in the area, mostly in ruins, you can visit. It's also quite near the "ruta de Don Quijote" and the infamous windmills. It may make for a nice detour.
Another option is the castle in Siguenza in Guadalajara (also not on your route). That's about 45-60 min from Madrid. It's much, much larger than the one in Alarcon and less intimate.
There are plenty of castles to stay in but I can't recall any on the route you mentioned.

#3827 - 03/21/02 06:08 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Carole: I would second the opinion of nevado...I've been to Alarcón and it is a really amazing location. The pueblo is small, the castle beatifully situated on a promontory, and the vistas sweeping. This is probably what you're wanting if you want castle lodging...

#3828 - 03/24/02 12:08 AM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Try jpmoser.com website. I see there's a castle/hotel near Salamanca.

#3829 - 03/24/02 12:36 PM Re: Castle Lodging in any of these areas?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

I will check out the Parador in Alarcon (Cuenca). It's not that far from our route (and we haven't been to Cuenca in a very long time) and might be nice as a first night's stopover on our way south to Granada. (I'm thinking I should reverse the order of our trip, April/May, and head south first.) It would be a manageable drive from Barajas, I just need to check the route south from there to Granada. Salamanca is also a possibility for later in our trip although we hope to stay outside of Trujillo and then in Turégano, both of which have great inn-type lodgings which we want to re-visit. Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments