Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#38227 - 11/25/02 04:17 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
booklady...don't know about you and my mom being contemparies...ella es una sevillana...left in '36, been here since '39...
never heard that word used except for the slang...i heard it mostly while she was driving...it is a great word...i can use it in context but was is the translation?

#38228 - 11/25/02 10:26 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Big Jamon,
Your Mom is my Mom's contemporary, I learned the term from her, and she is an Asturiana. So it must be a Spanish slang term of that time, passed on to their kids. It means shameless,someone having no shame whatsoever, a descarado, but in Spanish it sounds better. My Father added further
expletives, that made it even more colorful!

#38229 - 11/25/02 11:33 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
Espe3 Offline

Booklady,

BigJamon: literally its 'without shame'.

Its still very much alive and in use.

I agree with you both! And there's a few other choice words I can think of... and Booklady, if you can muster a shout! It won't put anyone in a cast, but the 'susto' will take a couple of years off their ticker! :p

#38230 - 11/26/02 03:58 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
sinvergüenza
sinvergüenza
sinvergüenza

je je je...

Booklady,Espe, Big Jamon and gang, you can put the umlat if you download the international keyboard from your windows control panel/keyboard.

Have fun with your ümlats, áccents, and tildes ñññññ.

#38231 - 11/26/02 06:12 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
DaisyE Offline

I had the impression that we were talking about what to do about the thieves in sol. I still suggest a picture of the offenders so other members can see who they should be aware of....
There are also another scam going on but I have still not seen it in Madrid but in Marbella.
It is a credit card scam. All but one cash machines in a well visited area is jammed and the last one have got a false front which catches your card in a litle plastic loope. The cash machine keeps asking about your card and when you press enter to return your card the machine breakes down and tell you to contact the bank. It is the quite easy to retrive the card by removing the false front. Many thieves who uses this scam also install a mini/micro camera which is able to read your pin number. If you loose your card this way it will cost you a lot.... Make sure that if the cash machine is "eating your Card" There is a reason. The false front does have a smaller slot for your card so you are not able to see that it is just inside...
Be aware..

#38232 - 11/26/02 06:55 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Espe3, I usually give the Librarian death stare! The one we give bad, unruly patrons, that usually keeps them at bay! laugh laugh

Chica, gracías for the tip! I tried looking for an umlat for a u and did not find one using the number lock keyboard.

DaisyE, what a nasty surprise! eek It's a good idea to use the ATM machines insde a Bank, or after hours the machines inside big Hotels.

#38233 - 11/27/02 09:55 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
big jamon Offline

i've read about the new ATM scam...they're doing here in the states too...here's how to beat it...
insert your card and then cancel transaction BEFORE entering your PIN...if the card comes back you know the machine is OK and then you can go and do a complete transaction...if your card is kept...you lose the card but since you haven't entered your PIN, no harm no foul other than a lost card...

#38234 - 12/02/02 02:54 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
DaisyE Offline

WRONG they can still use your card without your PIN. They just make a false ID and learn to write your signature..........
And loosing your card on a holiday can be a big problem......

#38235 - 12/02/02 03:03 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
big jamon Offline

OK they can try to steal your ID...but w/o PIN your money is safe...
and i don't sign my cards so they can't forge my signature...

#38236 - 12/02/02 03:06 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again
Espe3 Offline

But with the check cards (atm/credit cards) if it gets stuck in the machine, call and cancel right away. They're still going to have to come out from behind to go use it. By that time its already reported stolen and BAM! Busted! smile

NEVER delay canceling the card! smile

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments