Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38110 - 09/13/02 01:29 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Completely agree with that last comment about back packs; one easy way to blend in a bit more is to buy a purse in Spain and use it throughout your stay. Yes - you can tell a purse made in the US from a purse made in Spain and so can a thief! It's just one more way to put off those greedy fingers of a pickpocketer.

#38111 - 09/15/02 02:27 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
el viajero Offline

The only part of Madrid where I didn't feel safe was in Lavapiés -- and I was walking there under what was probably the best of circumstances: at high noon on a bright, sunny day, accompanied by a half-dozen acquaintances who were native Spaniards.

#38112 - 09/25/02 10:12 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Kyoko Offline

Loc: Brazil
you have to watch out specially if you are an asian guy (like me, i am japanese), cause it 'attracts' thefts! hehe! what thieves look for are, aside of money, passport. so be careful, ok?

another thing: puerta del sol and plaza mayor are a bit dangerous at night. i almost got robbed by a gipsy when i went there. and there were pletny of cops around, in civilian clothes.(it was june/2001) and the 'effective' robbery (haha!) occurred three days later, when i left the thyssen-bornemisza museum with an american and a german friends to have lunch...!

don't wanna scare you, because I loved the city and the people and the food... EVRYTHING!, but just wanna tell you to be careful! so, have a nice trip and be safe!

#38113 - 10/01/02 12:45 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
laugh Ladies, Just saw an advertisement in this month's issue of the Spanish magazine,(Vanidades Continental, Año 42,, Numero 19, page 9) it showed a picture of a new line of bra by the French manufactorer Etam, that has just introduced a traveling brassiere that has a Secret Pocket under the arm to hide money, credit cards or papers! It comes in all cup sizes, this seems to be a nicer idea than the cup pocket. laugh wink

#38114 - 10/01/02 02:20 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Thanks Booklady!

The only problem I foresee with a side pocket is the same problem with a money belt: if you are wearing a tank top, sleeveless top or anything snug, the content of a pocket under the arm might be more visible, not to mention accessible. Whereas with the cup, the potential thief cannot tell if it's your God-given natural attributes, artificial padding or your loot. wink

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#38115 - 10/01/02 11:47 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
el viajero Offline

The idea of a "traveling bra" is alarming. Isn't a bra supposed to stay put till you (or a friend) remove(s) it?

#38116 - 10/02/02 09:11 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Good points, Churrito, particularly for you young travellers. But for us aging, full-figured gals, laugh who would not be caught dead in a sleeveless dress or blouse, and can't stand the embarassment of having one breast seem larger than the other eek , a side pocket sounds pretty good.

El Viajero, you are correct, it should be a traveller's bra, but it is travelling if it is being worn, no? laugh

#38117 - 10/02/02 12:03 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
CaliBasco,

I just read your post of the 11th, about the Euros or quarters - Tom Jones version - laugh I guess you read about his "misfortune in Vegas," when his "socks fell down." eek They even put pictures of it in newspapers which in those days was totally unheard of. Thanks for bringing back an interesting memory.

Since I'm 10 pounds overweight rolleyes (actually only 3 1/2 feet too short for my weight), I don't have any problem hiding my belt attached, inside my pants, hidden valuable bag. I keep it next to my other valuables. I'd sure know something is wrong if someone is visiting that area, now wouldn't I? wink

As for the bras with pockets in them, women would probably need a double pocket type. Since it was a "common practice" for some ladies to keep spare hankies (Spares - laugh ) in the past, putting a hanky in one side and valuables in the other should kind of balance the load. It should be safe enough in Madrid. Unless ---- but that's another issue.

Still, I can picture some poor lady trying to get at a copy of her passport when a Madrid policeman stops her, and asks for it -- :o

Wolf

#38118 - 10/02/02 03:08 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Dear Wolf,
These bras are a traveling girl's best friend, particularly if you want to play it safe and have cash stashed away just in case...

If stopped by a Spanish policemen, you can say something like, "excuse me but before I can give you my document, I must retrieve it from my brassiere." I am sure that the authorities in Madrid will be courteous enough to let a gal do that, don't you think? wink

#38119 - 10/02/02 05:21 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
Yeah, but nobody's asked the most important question - can these bras make a measly B cup into a DD??? laugh

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments