Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38090 - 09/06/02 04:32 PM parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
tweety20 Offline

Loc: Iceland
Can anyone say me which parts of Madrid are dangerous,or not so safe areas???
thank you very much!

#38091 - 09/06/02 04:58 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
lismari Offline

Loc: des moines, iowa, soon to be v...
That depends on what kind of dangerous are you talking about.....danger of getting your purse stolen, or danger as in personal safety...

I lived in Madrid for a year and can honestly say that I can't remember a time when I feared for my personal safety. However, I was always worried about having things stolen, etc, especially being foreign, it makes us easy targets.

Some areas to be careful/watchful for pickpocekts are the main touristy areas, like Sol, Atocha, Gran Via, Plaza Espana, Tribunal, the museums and the RASTRO!! and always always THE METRO. people are very quick and you may not always realize that they've got their hand in your bag, etc. Bus/train stations are always areas to be careful in as well. I would suggest to always use common sense, be VERY careful of your bags/purse, never leave them unzipped and make sure they are strapped on well. When I was studying abroad, several of the parents who had come to visit got robbed, mostly by people in the metro, and sometimes on the street. Some pickpockets have good strategies, like distracting you by "dropping" their keys, while someone behind you (working with them) will take your wallet/purse. and you may never know it happened. Other techniques are distractions with maps, or other things, to catch your attention while the thief goes through your things. These are some things I ran into.

As far as personal safety, I can't think of a specific area that I would classify as "dangerous". It's always important to not be alone at night, and use common sense. The Retiro is known for being semi dangerous after dark, so make sure you aren't there alone. Metro stops and bus/train stations become sketchy too, the best thing is to always stick with your friends.

I think you will enjoy madrid, it honestly is not a scary place. The most important thing is to make sure to stick with your friends, and if you're flying solo, use COMMON SENSE, and especially don't go by yourself at night!

hope this helps!

#38092 - 09/07/02 10:40 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Hi! Your question is rather timely since I just got back from Madrid and was traveling, for the most part, alone. I would agree totally with lismari's advice. Use common sense everywhere, but Madrid really isn't scary or intimidating. In fact, if you stick to well-lighted streets, to restaurants/bars that look like they're filled with locals, etc; you'll have a great time.

This was one of my biggest worries as a woman traveling alone, but I must say that after spending almost a month in Spain and most of that in Madrid, I felt quite safe. I do speak Spanish so perhaps that made a difference. I also never, ever walked around like a tourist, with my camera out, reviewing a map on the sidewalk or looking "lost." When I wanted to review my map, I would go somewhere discreet. I also carried a bag that I could strap diagonally around my torso, kept my hand close to the zipper and my wallet tucked deep inside my purse under my book, camera, etc; I really wish I could've acted more like the tourist that I was, but I suppose the precautions were worthwhile ... I never got harrased or robbed. (In fact, people would ask me for directions.)

laugh Another point for ladies (gentlemen, please excuse this): I found that the little pocket inside a bra - Victoria's Secret Miracle Bra, to be exact - is much better than a money belt. It was too hot in August to wear a belt under anything snug fitting. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I found the "money bra" to be the best place where you can protect your hard-earned travel cash and even your credit card! Believe me, no one can see where you stashed the loot, and they'd have to get extremely "fresh" with you to find out. I don't think this is a sleight of hand that pickpockets have figured out (hopefully no pickpockets will read this). I only kept a few euros in my purse at any given time and would make a "cash transfer" from bra to wallet in a bathroom whenever I needed to. This little security accessory made all the difference because it gave me peace of mind ... even if I'd gotten mugged, they wouldn't have left me penniless.

(In retrospect I probably would've sewn an inside pocket into my favorite pants or skirt, but at the time, this was the best I could do.)

Enjoy Madrid! I can't wait to go back to Spain!

Churrito

PS ... Also, I walked EVERYWHERE in the main tourist areas of Madrid, some of it at night ... I was told to avoid Lavapies at any time of the day or night, and so I did. But I never felt unsafe.

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#38093 - 09/07/02 02:01 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, it's been said before, use common sense. Around Puerta del Sol you'll have to be especially cautious, it's a very touristy and populated area and pickpocketers know it (beware of an organized group of gypsy women who are experts in the subject). El Rastro on Sunday mornings is also a place where you don't want to carry a backpack.
But I wouln't be scared about personal safety, things happen everywhere but you won't find very dangerous places wandering around the city. Those places, usually related to drugs in gypsy settlements, are not near the city center and you don't find them by chance.

#38094 - 09/07/02 03:14 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
lismari Offline

Loc: des moines, iowa, soon to be v...
ChurroCaliente,

I'm so pumped about the money bra!!!!!!!!! I've stuffed money in there for years, and even my ID sometimes, so the money bra seems like an ingenious idea to me! I have a feeling it will be more comfortable than just shoving it into a regular bra! I'm headed to Victoria's Secret right now to buy one! SWEET! thanks for the heads up on such a good idea.

#38095 - 09/08/02 12:49 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I LOVE the money bra idea!! I'm contemplating going to Madrid for a few days alone in a few weeks (I have the LGA-MAD $419 fare on 'hold' until I can work it out...) myself, and that's great to know!!

Churro, one question, WHERE in Madrid did you stay? I've always stayed in the Sol area, but I've always been at least with 1 other person. I know there are a few hotels right there, so I wouldn't feel particularly unsafe, but some of the side streets can have some dark corners...

Thanks!!

-GG

#38096 - 09/08/02 09:23 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
churrocaliente Offline

Hi! Sounds like I should patent this idea of the money bra!!! Before I answer your question let me share a "it was funny at the moment" anecdote. At the end of a cena at a terraza in the outskirts of Madrid, my friend and I were the only ones left. I had to excuse myself to go to the bathroom (ehem make a cash transfer), but we ended up just telling the waiter, "turn around." wink

Anyway, last night I posted feedback on the two hotels where I stayed under the lodging section.

Hotel Regina was close to the Sol. It was pricey though, but I recommended it. Yes, there are dark streets with dark corners around there, and just about everywhere else in Madrid ... I always avoided them. The Sol is very crowded and so I would always "gear up" and grab the zipper area of my purse tightly. (At night I would just take a small makeup purse and place it under my armpit, like a clutch.) I was expecting to be approached by gypsies and/or con artists around there, but that never happened. The Hotel Regina crosses with Alcala/Sevilla streets. That puts you very near Plaza Santa Ana and all the clubs/bars in between. I walked by myself to Casa Patas one night and got stupidly lost (I was always about two or three streets away from the place) ... I asked for directions several times and never got harrased. (Surprisingly most of the madrileños didn't know where Casa Patas was ... nor Calle de Cañizares.)

As many of you know, life doesn't start until after midnight over there, so when I walked back, the streets were actually crowded and my walk back to the hotel was very pleasant.

I also stayed at the Hotel Mora, and while it's not as close the Sol, it's only about a 20 minute walk, maximum ... I like the area around the Mora. You can walk back down the Paseo del Prado (street side - not the park). There's a section there after Calle Cervantes that's a little dark but there were always people walking on it. On the Plaza de Platerias and Calles Huertas/Angel area there are great little bars/restaurants where you can feel comfortable eating/drinking alone.

Again, I was mainly warned about Lavapies from someone who lives in Madrid as a "bad" neighborhood known for drugs, crime ... I almost wandered in there around lunch time (when the streets are eerily deserted everywhere), but I found my way back into La Latina.

Overall, I must say that after a couple of days in Madrid, I felt very comfortable as long as I used common sense and avoided looking like a tourist. I didn't see any of the locals clutching their purses or being overly careful either ... but you know what they say, better safe than sorry.

The only issue I had with traveling alone is that very few restaurants would split a "ración" for me!!! (But this should be discussed in another section.)

Enjoy your trip! laugh

Churrito

#38097 - 09/08/02 11:22 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Thanks Churrocaliente!! I've actually been thinking of staying at the Hotel Regina too!! I'll check out your posting in the other forum. I stayed at the Hotel Madrid last time, and I still say it's the BEST shower I ever had in the whole country, but I wouldn't mind trying a new place too.

Victoria's Secret, here I come... rolleyes

-GG

#38098 - 09/08/02 12:04 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
churrocaliente Offline

GG, Hotel Regina had a full-sized bathroom and the shower had piping hot water and excellent water pressure!

By the way girls, the bra I am refering too has "pockets" with access from the sides of the bra (another style has a slit horizontal slit at the center of the cup, which is harder to access).

Churrito

#38099 - 09/08/02 03:39 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
churrocaliente, I have also done the money bra thing, and loved it. I have a similar bra--it came with little inserts for that full-figured look--I just took the inserts out and let the money do that job--just be sure to pack both sides evenly! Doesn't work for coins, though!

#38100 - 09/10/02 10:07 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
churro: I'm sure the wonderbra will come in mighty handy when I'm in Lavapiés...I'm not sure I'll fit in in say, the Castellana area, though... laugh Is there a wonderBRO that has a money pocket in it???

#38101 - 09/10/02 12:08 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
CaliBasco,

fair is fair....you can invest in a quality codpiece with a hidden compartment, if you see fit...

#38102 - 09/10/02 01:40 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
churrocaliente Offline

Cali, LOL ... laugh but please don't confuse the wonderbra with the miracle bra, they're very different! The wonderbra is wonderful but the miracle bra really performs miracles for those of us who have not opted for plastic surgery (and keeps your money safe, to boot).

I like the idea of a wondercod or miraclecod!

Seriously, if I could figure out a way to smuggle jamon serrano in that bra, I would! I got caught at Miami International by a beagle who sniffed a bocadillo in my purse ... I had only eaten half of it and totally forgot to eat the rest of it on the plane, because a friend of a friend managed to sneak me into biz class "for operational reasons" on the way back, where they stuffed me with food & wine.

Churrito

#38103 - 09/10/02 10:12 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
laugh laugh laugh Ay Dios Mio, this is the funniest thread. But so practical! I can just see former purse snatchers all over Madrid feeling up women and asking themselves, Are they real or could it be a Miracle bra stuffed with money? laugh laugh

#38104 - 09/11/02 12:23 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
For all the sometimes adveserial (spelling?)comments on our favorite website, it is really great to see an entire thread devoted both to Spain and to humour! wink

MM - go ahead and copyright that cod piece mentioned - just one more way to get to Madrid on a permanent basis!

#38105 - 09/11/02 01:18 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Booklady: I tried to pass off my own "Roman fingers" as "just trying to check for money" and I got slapped numerous times. I don't see that type of pickpocketing becoming either popular or lucrative.

Also Cooter: I already own the "Tom Jones Travel Sock" which you fill with a roll of quarters [or euro dollars] for emergencies. eek

CaliBasco [Who doesn't think it's unusual to be loved by anyone]

#38106 - 09/11/02 05:08 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Cali - I always thought your "Euro sock" was to be used for self defense - not cash! laugh

#38107 - 09/12/02 09:55 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
churrocaliente Offline

Hmm ... with all these "Eurobras" and "Eurosocks" tourists will be clearly distinguished by the fact (especially in the warmer months) that they all appear quite well-endowed! laugh

Cali, just for the record, I did *nearly* have to slap a few gentlemen in Madrid (I'm sure they meant well, really ... ), but that's another story!

Churrito

#38108 - 09/13/02 11:12 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I love how this conversation went from safety to bras and socks.

One thing I didn't see here was the entertainment in the streets. When the bands play in the streets, I've seen lots of pickpockets there, going through the crowds. I actually caught one trying to rob the backpack of a friend of mine.

#38109 - 09/13/02 11:24 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
churrocaliente Offline

Actually, there is method to this madness. The segue from safety to underwear was intentional, because by keeping your money stashed in the "privates" you diminish your chances of losing it to pickpockets, regardless of where you are, even in a crowded touristy place.

Carrying a backpack (especially on your back, instead of in front) or any bag that has easy access to a zipper or pocket is just asking to be pickpocketed.

Churrito

#38110 - 09/13/02 01:29 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Completely agree with that last comment about back packs; one easy way to blend in a bit more is to buy a purse in Spain and use it throughout your stay. Yes - you can tell a purse made in the US from a purse made in Spain and so can a thief! It's just one more way to put off those greedy fingers of a pickpocketer.

#38111 - 09/15/02 02:27 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
el viajero Offline

The only part of Madrid where I didn't feel safe was in Lavapiés -- and I was walking there under what was probably the best of circumstances: at high noon on a bright, sunny day, accompanied by a half-dozen acquaintances who were native Spaniards.

#38112 - 09/25/02 10:12 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Kyoko Offline

Loc: Brazil
you have to watch out specially if you are an asian guy (like me, i am japanese), cause it 'attracts' thefts! hehe! what thieves look for are, aside of money, passport. so be careful, ok?

another thing: puerta del sol and plaza mayor are a bit dangerous at night. i almost got robbed by a gipsy when i went there. and there were pletny of cops around, in civilian clothes.(it was june/2001) and the 'effective' robbery (haha!) occurred three days later, when i left the thyssen-bornemisza museum with an american and a german friends to have lunch...!

don't wanna scare you, because I loved the city and the people and the food... EVRYTHING!, but just wanna tell you to be careful! so, have a nice trip and be safe!

#38113 - 10/01/02 12:45 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

laugh Ladies, Just saw an advertisement in this month's issue of the Spanish magazine,(Vanidades Continental, Año 42,, Numero 19, page 9) it showed a picture of a new line of bra by the French manufactorer Etam, that has just introduced a traveling brassiere that has a Secret Pocket under the arm to hide money, credit cards or papers! It comes in all cup sizes, this seems to be a nicer idea than the cup pocket. laugh wink

#38114 - 10/01/02 02:20 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
churrocaliente Offline

Thanks Booklady!

The only problem I foresee with a side pocket is the same problem with a money belt: if you are wearing a tank top, sleeveless top or anything snug, the content of a pocket under the arm might be more visible, not to mention accessible. Whereas with the cup, the potential thief cannot tell if it's your God-given natural attributes, artificial padding or your loot. wink

#38115 - 10/01/02 11:47 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
el viajero Offline

The idea of a "traveling bra" is alarming. Isn't a bra supposed to stay put till you (or a friend) remove(s) it?

#38116 - 10/02/02 09:11 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Good points, Churrito, particularly for you young travellers. But for us aging, full-figured gals, laugh who would not be caught dead in a sleeveless dress or blouse, and can't stand the embarassment of having one breast seem larger than the other eek , a side pocket sounds pretty good.

El Viajero, you are correct, it should be a traveller's bra, but it is travelling if it is being worn, no? laugh

#38117 - 10/02/02 12:03 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
CaliBasco,

I just read your post of the 11th, about the Euros or quarters - Tom Jones version - laugh I guess you read about his "misfortune in Vegas," when his "socks fell down." eek They even put pictures of it in newspapers which in those days was totally unheard of. Thanks for bringing back an interesting memory.

Since I'm 10 pounds overweight rolleyes (actually only 3 1/2 feet too short for my weight), I don't have any problem hiding my belt attached, inside my pants, hidden valuable bag. I keep it next to my other valuables. I'd sure know something is wrong if someone is visiting that area, now wouldn't I? wink

As for the bras with pockets in them, women would probably need a double pocket type. Since it was a "common practice" for some ladies to keep spare hankies (Spares - laugh ) in the past, putting a hanky in one side and valuables in the other should kind of balance the load. It should be safe enough in Madrid. Unless ---- but that's another issue.

Still, I can picture some poor lady trying to get at a copy of her passport when a Madrid policeman stops her, and asks for it -- :o

Wolf

#38118 - 10/02/02 03:08 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Dear Wolf,
These bras are a traveling girl's best friend, particularly if you want to play it safe and have cash stashed away just in case...

If stopped by a Spanish policemen, you can say something like, "excuse me but before I can give you my document, I must retrieve it from my brassiere." I am sure that the authorities in Madrid will be courteous enough to let a gal do that, don't you think? wink

#38119 - 10/02/02 05:21 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
Yeah, but nobody's asked the most important question - can these bras make a measly B cup into a DD??? laugh

#38120 - 10/02/02 06:22 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

This thread is hilarious! laugh laugh laugh And so practical at the same time! wink While I may laugh at these inventive brassieres, I really think that the manufacturers of these two examples are on to something with providing the traveller with an excellent way to dissimulate a stash of cash or credit cards.

#38121 - 10/02/02 06:59 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, Lizziee, the sky's the limit? Why stop there?

This reminds me, in an odd way, of the time my husband and his best friend picked up the friend's girlfriend at the airport with enormous signs that said, "Welcome to Minneapolis, XXX Film Star Debbie 'double D' P------!!" They carried the huge signs through the airport (with me maintaining a very discreet distance behind with the camera and a red face), wearing cheesy fedoras. They met her flight (Debbie is about 5'2" and could desperately use a well-padded money bra) and wouldn't you know she was the last person off the plane. It was mortifying.

Ask for bills in small denominations, ladies, and pad 'em up.

Just don't mistake a 50-euro note for a tissue!

#38122 - 10/02/02 10:30 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Booklady,

Does that traveling bra come with combination locks, or do they use padlocks?

Wolf (Just curious - laugh )

#38123 - 10/02/02 11:13 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Excellent question, Wolf. The answer is Heavy Duty Velcro! Does the job without damaging a lady's sensitive skin! wink

#38124 - 10/03/02 12:15 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
churrocaliente Offline

Wolf, I might've mentioned this in another post, but while having a late cena at a terraza in Cobeña, I kindly asked the waiter to "turn around" while I made a cash transfer from the boob bank ... my friend B didn't know I had money stashed in my bra ... and she nearly fell off her seat laughing.

How a police officer requesting a passport would react, dios Mio!

Lizziee the thing about the V.S. miracle bra is that it already performs miracles wink !!! So when you stash a small wad of bills in it, it looks no bigger than it already is. So to answer Booklady's concern, one cup would not look bigger than the other.

Ay chihuahua, I will be so very embarrased to show anyone on this board photos from my trip ... but it's all for the sake of sharing good ideas, eh? laugh

Churrito

#38125 - 10/04/02 10:55 AM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

This thread is getting funnier and funnier! The thought of being DD (or even a C) is sorta inspiring though - If all women used the travel bra - can't you just imagine the wagers lost by the guys!
FYI - Great story taravb laugh

#38126 - 10/05/02 10:31 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I spent June and July in Spain with two kids. Getting robbed was one of my biggest worries, but we only had one attempted bump and run which was not successful. I sewed small metal rings into everything we took. Then I purchased the travel pockets that are designed with a cord loop to hook onto your belt and then be tucked into your slacks. Instead of using a belt, we attached our secret pockets using tiny carabiners from the sporting goods store. These pockets were completely hidden, yet easily accessable. Unless someone stripped us of our clothing, they were not getting our goods. laugh laugh laugh At times, I wore one on each side. They were not hot and never uncomfortable. My daughter and I also carried the kidney shaped 'backpacks' sold by LL Bean and most of the travel catalogs. They were fantastic and we bought the small size. They are easly to carry on the shoulder AND to grasp tightly with your hand as you walk. They easiy help all of our daily esentials: maps, camera, CANDY, sweaters, etc. ATM cards are wonderful as long as they do not get stolen!!!!

#38127 - 10/16/02 05:04 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
AmbassadorTex Offline

Loc: USA
Of all the hilarious things in this thread...

I have to say that the one still cracking me up for the past 15 minutes is the idea of churritacaliente telling people she has to go to the bathroom to make " a cash transfer "!!
:p eek

What must they think?!?

Very creative survival techniques ladies!

>> LISTEN at www.wshafm.org Spread the word! <<

#38128 - 11/13/02 04:38 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
el viajero Offline

It figures. After I said the only place I felt unsafe in Madrid was Lavapiés, on my very next trip I get mugged in broad daylight right downtown, on some little street behind c/Arenal.

Last week, the day I arrived, a man and woman demanded my (nonexistent) moneybelt. However, their Spanish was so lousy that I couldn't figure out what they were asking for. They spent considerable time miming the concept of "money belt." When the look of utter bafflement failed to leave my face, they contented themselves with expertly pickpocketing my wallet and passport, causing an annoying chain of inconveniences and early-morning visits to the U.S. Embassy. Fortunately, the rest of the trip was a lot of fun and made up for the first couple of days.

#38129 - 11/13/02 07:44 PM Re: parts of Madrid that are known as dangerous?
Espe3 Offline

El viajero, sorry to hear that. But next time someone tries to communicate something to you that takes an eternity... before it gets sticky, say sorry and keep walking! Its when they get you to stop and hang around that you become an easy target!

Here's another idea for the ladies. My sister converted a garter into a id/money holder by sewing 2 crossing elastic bands. She did it for a party she had to go to and couldn't find a purse to match... needless to say, it did the job! And again, nobody's going to feel up your leg to see if you've got some money attached to it! :p

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments