Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37962 - 04/25/02 04:11 PM Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
rainspooner Offline

Loc: Phoenix
I'm currently browsing through a webpage compiling all the tourist scams & pickpocketing procedures that the webpage's author has witnessed/heard about.

The author is based in Barcelona and recounts her first hand accounts of times when she's nearly been "had". She has also compiled a bunch of stories that people have emailed to her. (Actually, I'm not sure if the author is male or female!)

I'm NOT a paranoid/suspicious person in general. This webpage make for interesting reading during a slow afternoon at work.

www.jones.tc/barna/scams.html

Street crime is all about DISTRACTION!

#37963 - 04/26/02 03:15 AM Re: Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
Also be wary (espc barcalona) of kids wanting to "dance" with you or involving you in a mini street futbol game.

Chris

#37964 - 04/26/02 11:28 PM Re: Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
rainspooner, are you sure about that URL? It doesn't work. frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37965 - 04/27/02 05:52 AM Re: Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It worked OK for me. I just clicked on the link. It's very good, but not comprehensive. As soon as a scam tactic is exposed, someone comes up with a new one. rolleyes
Years ago, in the Barcelona Metro (at the Maria Cristina station), someone jostled me from the left as I approached a stairway. Instead of turning in that direction, I spun clockwise with my right hand swinging in a Karate chop fashion. I caught the jostler's partner in the throat as I called to my 6'2" 200 pound son who was walking ahead. The would be pickpockets beat a hasty retreat. eek

#37966 - 04/27/02 09:04 PM Re: Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Eddie, you are SUCH a quick thinker!

I loved that website with all the scams. It really is true that the best strategy is a good defense: carry NO purses, backpacks, daypacks etc. Hide a small amount of money and one credit card on your person. Lock up everything else (and not necessarily in the hotel safe.... remember anchovy front's story????).

I loved Barcelona and saw NONE of the scams in operation, mostly because I was walking to a particular place, was speaking Spanish, etc. We did end up in the barrio chino by accident one night, coming back from a theatre, and I was nervous, but mostly there were just many groups of single men hanging.

Barcelona is a fantastic city!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments