Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37954 - 04/18/02 07:44 AM Madrid metro vs taxi re security
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I visit Madrid, do you think I'm going to be too much of a target on the metro with my suitcase? I know a taxi would be an easy solution, but I really like traveling by metro. What do you think?

#37955 - 04/18/02 09:08 AM Re: Madrid metro vs taxi re security
SRedw Offline

The answer for me and what I have noticed in Madrid is NO. There are many Africans and peoples of other nationalities that constantly get on the metro with suitcases and the like. No one seemed to have singled them out at all.

But, as in all cases, use YOUR best judgement. When I first got to Madrid, I had many bags and I took a taxi. Thereafter whenever I travelled, I used the metro.

Have a great time in Madrid.

Shawn

#37956 - 04/18/02 11:07 AM Re: Madrid metro vs taxi re security
nevado Offline

I've seen some backpacks opened on the metro so if you happen to take one in addition to a suitcase, be careful.

#37957 - 04/19/02 11:03 AM Re: Madrid metro vs taxi re security
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
The last time I went, my traveling companion and i both had a backpack and an additional bag. We took the metro from the airport to downtown. I found the best thing to do was stand in the back corner. That way you are out of the way and aren't taking up any of the valuable seating space. Plus it's a lot easier to move around.

#37958 - 04/19/02 08:07 PM Re: Madrid metro vs taxi re security
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
kk49827 (is 49827 your zip-code, by chance??) has an excellent suggestion. If you get on the metro at Barajas airport you'll likely be one of the few (??) who get on at this "station" (true?? I really don't know, but assume this). If this is the case, do what kk49827 suggests and get yourself a space up against the wall which "butts up against" the next metro car. There will be place to stand AND room for your luggage. Beside, even though the metro ride could be long (you'll still have to change 2 or more times to get to your hotel), you'll be tired of sitting for hours on the airplane. Just "watch each others backs" when getting on/off the metro.

I wouldn't think a large suitcase would be ANY kind of target. More likely a backpack worn on the BACK. Take my advice: if it's crowded (or even if it's not), wear your backback on the FRONT of your body, straps over the shoulder, and not on your back while on the metro. Otherwise, keep a firm grip around the strap at all times and an eye on your things.

A very good friend of mine in Madrid recently had her backpack "picked" while she was wearing it on her back, either while she went into the metro, waiting for the metro, or standing in the metro car. Someone unzipped the little pouch in back of the backpack/mochilla and took out her wallet, bank book, and I.D.. She lost a good deal of money and didn't know it happened until she got home. Just be wise and be mindful and you'll be just fine.

If you have more than one suitcase each (and a backpack) I would suggest taking a taxi or contacting AeroCITY for a cheaper (than taxi) lift to your hotel.

Good luck and let us know how you managed the metro with your bags if you do, in fact, take the metro. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan (have a great weekend, all!! smile )

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37959 - 04/22/02 07:29 AM Re: Madrid metro vs taxi re security
jmcarr Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
MM, when I visited Spain in February, the Metro stop at Barajas was quite full of people heading into the city from the airport. I arrived at the station around 9am (after picking up luggage, going through customs, etc.), so that time of day may just have been full of international arrivals ???

The cars on the Mar de Cristal line appear to be equiped for large pieces of luggage, having fewer seats, more open area at the back of the car and shelves for bags. I noticed when changing Metro lines onto the brown and blue lines that those cars are not equiped to deal with luggage, so standing in the back of the car is definitely the way to go.

jmcarr

#37960 - 04/22/02 08:54 PM Re: Madrid metro vs taxi re security
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
The metro should be fine. Take into account the time of day, the line and the direction of travel, though, as the "mediodía" rush seems to pack the no. 2 (and other routes).

If you're concerned about bag stealing, give them something to steal, like Wolf does: He put a fake wallet with a picture of his middle finger where the money goes...a dirty-looking diaper (melted snicker bar in a diaper works) has also been mentioned as a theft-foiler on this board. Use your imagination, heaven knows the thieves do!!!

#37961 - 04/26/02 10:52 AM Re: Madrid metro vs taxi re security
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
I concur with the previous recommendations/observations. In addition, when I took the metro from Barajas to Puerta del Sol one mid-morning with a large suitcase, I positioned myself on the platforms to board the first car of the trains (you have to make several changes) since the center cars were pretty full. Pickpockets have easier tasks when passengers are packed together!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments