Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37948 - 03/28/02 04:31 PM importing swords
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last time i visited Madrid i saw a fantastic collection of swords etc.Upon enquiry the shop owner told me that it was perfectly in order to take these items on any flight as long as they were declared before boarding and that they would be transfered to the"hold".Does anyone have any exprience of this being correct? smile

#37949 - 03/28/02 07:05 PM Re: importing swords
supaJack Offline

Loc: Houghton, Mi, USA
yeah, I bought a sword that was about three feet feet long. All I did was declare it. I don't think you can have one in your carry-on for obvious reasons. They didn't seem to find it unusual at all at the airport though.

#37950 - 03/28/02 08:22 PM Re: importing swords
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I go along with Jack. I doubt they'd consider it for carry on luggage, if they have removed the plastic knives from the airline food. But if it's in your hold luggage, and declared, you shouldn't have any problem.

If you're concerned about it, you might want to check it out on with one or more of the airlines that you could be using. They might tell you if there's a special procedure you would have to follow.

Wolf (Who won't even carry a wooden toothpick on an airline now.)

#37951 - 03/28/02 08:26 PM Re: importing swords
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks wolf cool

#37952 - 03/28/02 11:57 PM Re: importing swords
sabalagirl Offline

Loc: Utah
Before 9/11, it was OK to bring swords back in your checked luggage. I have brought a sword back each of the last two years from that great sword place across the street and the park from the Prado. One trip on Delta and one on USAir. My grandson must have another one, but I have been a little worried about it now since you would have the sword in your luggage inside the airport as you pick up your luggage. I hope someone follows up and asks the airline. I did NOT declare the sword either time and no questions were asked.
sabalagirl

#37953 - 03/29/02 07:47 AM Re: importing swords
shula Offline

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
It's definitely OK to bring them back, my husband and I brought 15 back in November (long story on why we needed that many swords, good thing we had a sturdy fencing bag we brought with us).

It was comical at the airport, when they asked us did we have anything to declare that may be considered a weapon we said yes and they sent us to another line (I reccommend not lying about this--with so many spot checks if you get caught it could mess up your day). They searched our luggage, which means first they x-ray, boy the alarm went off with our luggage, and then you empty the suitcase in front of them.

My husband started to empty the fencing bag. The sword maker had wrapped each sword, so sword shaped package after sword shape package kept being pulled out. My husband looked a little nervous with these guys with machine guns and dogs looking sternly his way, a small group of them gathered. When he turned his back, the guards looked at each other, broke into big grins, and simultaneously said, "TOLEDO" and laughed. We didn't have to unwrap the swords--just repacked and checked them in.

FYI, buy your sword in Toledo--they are the cheapest there. If your a serious sword collector (or living history re-enactor like my husband he does a lot of work for national parks and museums) there is only one place to go--the 7 fingered swordsmith of Toledo (can't remember his name, I think Zamora, my husband isn't here to ask), he's mentioned in Rick Steve's guide. We spent a day with him, the menfolk intensly discussing sword reproduction while the womenfolk got very bored and focused on the jewelry his brother makes.

Have fun and remember, check your pointy things with your luggage. wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments