Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#37842 - 01/05/02 10:26 PM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Believe it!

I was 16-17 (7 years ago), I didn't require a visa (as far as I remember). I had previously traveled to european countries in which I needed no passport at all (just your ID card, and it was not required at the airport, you were just required to have it while in the coutry).

For me it was very shocking the entrance to the USA having experienced it in Ireland, France and England.

I was first interrogated about my luggage. Then passed the Barajas airport security. While I was in the plane they gave me a green card (a green form) in which such questions were made (are you going to kill the president, have you killed an american citizen in your country and other such funny questions). I couldn't believe it! I was advised that the policemen in the States was very tough, so I decided to fill it in in a serious way (but I was laughing at it).

When I arrived to the New York airport I had to wait a lane two hours, to be treated as a third world inmigrant who was going there to work. A policeman yelled at me (first time in my whole life a policeman did that and the first time I couldn't even explain anything to him, I just did as ordered, but I let myself whisper a "vete a la mierda" hehe).
While in the country I was twice more treated in a rude way by policemen. This was very shocking for me, here the policemen are generally very polite and correct, but I guess the policemen in the USA have a worse and more dangerous job, so I can undestand why they are as they are.

That didn't ruin my studies trip of course wink It was just an anecdote. When we were back here we laugh at all these things...see, what crazy the american policemen are :p Are they really that way with american citizens? Or was it just with forgeiners?

Fernando

#37843 - 01/05/02 11:10 PM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
El Cid d'España Offline

Quote:
...what crazy the american policemen are Are they really that way with american citizens? Or was it just with foreigners?

I would have to say both. :p

#37844 - 01/06/02 02:25 AM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Yes, the American policemen (and women) can be a little butch and nasty. Fernando, just remember you were entering the U.S. in New York City. New Yorkers have a heart of gold, but they have never been known for their etiquette or friendly demeanor.

I'm sure glad you didn't let this ruin your studies - I can assure you many of us Americans (even us gringos) get the taste of this crude justice. Just keep in mind though, as my dear Mexican friend says: Just remember that American policemen are usually never corrupt and can usually be trusted for their integrity.

As for that stupid question about "killing the American President...," I say just chalk it up to a stupid pencil-pusher in the State Department or INS. wink All us in the States know how "appropriate" these people can be! mad

I am almost possitive the customs forms don't ask this question anymore. I hope...!!! Any Spaniards who've traveled to the The States recently want to validate this? smile

#37845 - 01/06/02 05:59 AM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Fernando writes:
Quote:
When I arrived to the New York airport I had to wait a lane two hours, to be treated as a third world inmigrant who was going there to work. A policeman yelled at me (first time in my whole life a policeman did that and the first time I couldn't even explain anything to him, I just did as ordered, but I let myself whisper a "vete a la mierda" hehe).
While in the country I was twice more treated in a rude way by policemen. This was very shocking for me, here the policemen are generally very polite and correct, but I guess the policemen in the USA have a worse and more dangerous job, so I can undestand why they are as they are.

I would rather take a beating than have to pass thru immigration & Customs at JFK. eek
In defense of New York City's Police: The 'policeman' who yelled at you in the JFK airport was probably NOT a NYC Policeman. It may have been a Customs Inspector (white shirt, badge, policeman's cap) or Security Guard (known affectionately as a rent-a-cop) employed by the airport. NYC cops will not generally treat people badly. They're given 'sensitivity training' courses as part of their training. They may become impatient when someone doesn't do what they are told when they are told; but any parent can identify with that. NYC cops shouldn't have to take a 'bad rap' for the actions of some rent-a-cop. rolleyes
Granted. At the time you may not have been able to distinguish the difference, except for the behavior pattern. confused

#37846 - 01/06/02 07:09 AM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Interesting exchange of ideas here, but please keep responses to the topic: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
Thanks! smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments