Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37721 - 11/06/01 04:10 AM Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
The MexicanTraveler Offline

I am planning on staying at Hostal Plaza D'Ort in Madrid in december, but after reading alll the bad comments on plaza santa ana I am just not sure, If i was going alone I wouldnt care and would beat the crap out of anybody trying to mug me, but with my wife its a different story.
How safe is this area? Is it safer than Puerta del Sol? Which one is better?

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#37722 - 11/06/01 08:42 AM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hopefully one of the madrileños will answer this question since they do live there.

Keep in mind that my arguments below are regarding safety at NIGHT and not during the day as you can go almost anywhere in Madrid during the day and be/feel safe. Nighttime is only a little different.

I've heard bad stories about both, but then I've heard bad stories about most areas of Madrid. That's NOT to say that all areas of Madrid are unsafe. QUITE the contrary, in fact. But things do happen from time to time. Keep in mind that in MOST Spanish cities there are people in the streets 24 hours a day so you'll likely feel and BE safe no matter where you are.

Puerta del Sol is busier than Plaza Santa Ana so if this is a factor in safety then I would choose this. It's also more wide open so there are fewer places for would-be thieves to hide. Plaza Santa Ana/Huertas area has more narrow streets, inset/dark doorways, and probably less lighting too than you'd have in Puerta del Sol. Less traffic in Plaza Santa Ana too.

In the summer at night in Plaza Santa Ana, this zone is PACKED with people so safety is rarely an issue. Same goes for Puerta del Sol. It's only at 3, 4, 5 o'clock in the morning when I'd be more cautious than during daylight hours.

There are pickpockets everywhere so be on guard, but a little common sense goes a long way. Also, if you are walking around with your wife you're probably less likely to be targeted for a mugging too. They usually choose singles. And even though muggings and pickpocketing is on the rise, Madrid is still very very safe. I feel safer there with 3 million people than I do here in Columbus, Ohio, USA with 500 thousand people!

Have a GRRRRREAT time in Spain! I know you will. Is it possible NOT to???? smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37723 - 11/07/01 09:20 AM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
el Perrito Offline

Loc: Suecia
I agree with the Madridman. Madrid is safe except for certain areas very late at night.

But if you worry still I think your previous choice of Hostel (the Plaza Mayor) is located next to a government building with a guardia civil on guard, 24 hours a day.

As MM pointed out though (in a different string) there has been a lot of construction going on in this area why you can expect waking up early (never a good thing in Madrid) unless they are finished by now.

Have a nice trip

#37724 - 11/07/01 01:53 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
Eric - NYC Offline

Loc: NYC
I just spent 5 nights at Hostal Plaza D'Ort and felt safe in the area at all hours. As MM said, there are always a lot of people out on the street. The Hostal is a 10 second walk to Pl. Santa Ana and less than a minute's walk to Pta del Sol. As long as your things are secure in your front pockets, I don't think you have much to worry about - just be alert like you would be anywhere else.

I didn't hear any noise from my room. I had a rear facing window, though. Hostal Plaza D'Ort is definitely my first choice whenever I make it back over there.

#37725 - 11/10/01 05:57 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I think the biggest danger at Plaza Santa Ana is that you might "break your neck" because of all of the construction going on! Perhaps things will be different in December.

Everyone speaks of the pickpocketings and muggings in Madrid. For that reason, I was very aware of my surroundings but not paranoid. I never saw anything out of the ordinary but we did speak with a middle-aged Canadian woman whose wallet had been lifted (in Dunkin' Donuts)her first day in Madrid. Although she was coping quite well, the incident had really caught her by surprise as she considered herself to be somewhat of a seasoned traveler. And we were told by one of the hotel clerks that some of their clients had very unfortunate experiences in the city.

#37726 - 11/11/01 12:34 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Carole Chiaro,
Would you happen to know if the area in front of the Reina Victoria was under construction? I hope that they finish by New Year's!

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

#37727 - 11/12/01 12:17 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Hi Booklady,

If I recall correctly that entire area (Plaza Santa Ana on which the Hotel Reina Victoria is situated...we stayed there in the early 1980s when bullfighters frequented the place AND hotel rooms were a fraction of today's cost!) is being renovated. Perhaps one of our contributing Madrileños can take a further look.

#37728 - 11/12/01 05:27 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Booklady,
We stayed at the Hotel Reina Victoria last month and the area in front of the hotel is all under construction. However, there are still lots of cafes and tapas bars open in the square. It was disappointing that the square was all torn up though.

I had chosen this hotel because I was originally going alone and wanted somewhere that I would feel safe at night and would not have to walk far to my hotel. I thought the entire area from Puerta del Sol to Plaza Santa Ana was safe as long as you used good old common sense. Personally, I don't know if I'd choose this hotel again. It was very nice and had a great breakfast buffet however the atmosphere was a bit stuffy for my taste. It was my last city and I splurged as an ending to the trip but if I had to do it again would probably choose a hostel nearby with a reception area on the ground floor.

#37729 - 11/12/01 08:12 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Thank you Carole Chiaro for the information.
CathyM, I am booked in this hotel because of its history and like you I thought it would be a good place to be near Sol and since Santa Ana is the place for Tapas...now after your post I may reconsider and look for a Hostal nearby. I don't like stuffy hotels. I am also staying at the Suecia for my first leg of the trip, it was most reasonable, only one bancotel check, but they are sold out for New Year's rolleyes
Booklady

#37730 - 11/13/01 10:31 AM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Update on noisy construction work in Plaza Santa Ana.
Well, I live right on the Plaza and have three balconies. The work is due to last 6 months, and involves pedestrianizing the square, and moving the entrance into the underground carpark, as well as repaving the square itself.
The noise, for the moment isn't too bad, and has brought surprising improvements. There aren't 10,000 boisterous revellers drinking outside my window, for one thing, and the threatening characters who used to hang out there have moved on, so security is much improved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments