Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#37665 - 09/18/01 02:40 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This doesn't surprise me at all, Zylphia. Spaniards are no strangers to terrorism with ETA and they mourn when people are killed/murdered no matter if they're Spaniards or others in the world. I've always found Spaniards to be very sensitive with regards to humanity. I think they would have felt the same if a similar terrorist attack had happened in Japan, Russia, or Argentina.

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37666 - 09/18/01 04:25 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
Pookita Offline

Loc: FL, USA
I am finding MM's and everyone else's comments to be very true.

I have been canceling all of our reservations for the trip we WERE going to take in October, and each and every hostal, hotel etc. has responded back adding very warm comments expressing their sorrow over the happenings in NY. This is without me even mentioning it in my cancellation request!

And, just as an aside to those who may want to comment that we shouldn't cancel or trip....We are looking at it as a mere postponement. We aren't AFRAID to take the trip. We simply have chosen to spend the time traveling within the US visiting those friends and family we don't see as often as we like and spending our dollars to support the US economy. It is a very, very small sacrafice we can make to contribute to the healing of this great country.

We WILL be going to Spain - just not when had originally planned.

Pookita (who anxiously awaits NEXT October...or maybe Spring?)

#37667 - 09/19/01 10:49 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
Kelly B Offline

Loc: central IL
I posted this in another part of the forum but felt it relevant here too. After all, what I read here is what helped to make up our minds ....We had a group of 40 people leaving for Spain in a few days. Since the tragedy that has dropped to 10. We have been struggling with whether or not to go on with the trip. After having reviewed here and in another section of the forum, we are more determined than ever to go. These ten Americans will not let the terrorists intimidate us. We will not be cowered into submission. All I have read says the people of Spain have anguished with us over this tragedy and I am going to thank them personally. Thanks to all from Spain who have posted the wonderful notes. We will see you in a week!
Kelly B

#37668 - 09/20/01 01:12 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I totally agree with Kelly B. I am leaving for Madrid on the 29th for three weeks of Spanish language study. I am excited about meeting the people of that wonderful city.

#37669 - 09/20/01 03:17 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I want to thank Kelly B and arthurg for your posts and for coming here in such difficult times for you.

I really understand the reasons and problems that could keep you for coming. So coming here has a special value (in my point of view).

You will be very welcome to Spain ;-)

I hope you enjoy your visit here.

Fernando

#37670 - 09/21/01 11:15 AM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
With such nice people in Madrid like you, Fernando, how could we not have a good time?

#37671 - 09/21/01 09:13 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
When I read Aznar saying, " America was there to help us with terrorism and now its our time to help them," a bitter sweet chill covered me.
From keeping up with Spanish news in the past couple of years, I know all Spaniards know the horror of terrorism.
I know they feel our pain in the US.
I, from the bottom of my heart, thank them for mourning with us and standing up with us.
Spain's extension of friendship at this crucial time WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!
God Bless Spain and America.
true lifelong friends

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments