Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37646 - 09/12/01 08:49 AM AIRPORT SECURITY IN MADRID
teacher Offline

Loc: USA
Due to the terrorist actions in the USA, would someone from Madrid please answer me.
Could you tell me if Madrid/Spain have increased the security at the airports, and if you have heightened police patrols in Madrid. My fiance and I are scheduled to fly into Madrid early Saturday morning (Sept 15), and in light of the terrorist actions in the USA we are hoping that the police and security in Madrid have been tightened. The situation in the USA have us very un-nerved,
and if need be, we may cancel our trip to Madrid.

I have written to the Madrid Interior Government, but they do not answer me.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

#37647 - 09/12/01 08:56 AM Re: AIRPORT SECURITY IN MADRID
Wilson Offline

Loc: US
Security should be tightened all over the world, as the whole world is at risk to terrorist actions. I cannot confirm any heightened security in Madrid, but we all need to be cautious about where ever we travel.

#37648 - 09/12/01 10:48 AM Re: AIRPORT SECURITY IN MADRID
Shimano Offline

As in every country in the EU, tighter security measures have been implemented. Not only in the airport but also everywhere else. The country is in state of alert.

#37649 - 09/12/01 11:26 AM Re: AIRPORT SECURITY IN MADRID
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
European airports (and other airports outside of North America) typically, it seems to me, have MUCH greater security on a daily basis than in the USA and. AT LEAST with regards to access denied to gates for non-ticket holders and at baggage claim. Maybe some madrileños can confirm this, but I am sure Madrid Barajas is on a higher level of alert. Good luck and enjoy your time in Spain.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37650 - 09/12/01 12:04 PM Re: AIRPORT SECURITY IN MADRID
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You might take a look at ElPais Digital, an online version of one of Spain's important newspapers. Today's edition deplores the terrorist attacks on the U.S. but I didn't go into it deep enough to see if heightened security measures are in place at airports in Spain. http://www.elpais.es

For what it's worth, if you cancel your stop in Madrid the terrorists will have won as far as you're concerned! rolleyes

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#37651 - 09/12/01 12:14 PM Re: AIRPORT SECURITY IN MADRID
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I left Mardid last Sunday afternoon, it is my observation the security at Barajas Airport is better than most airports in the United States. Our connection on KLM through Amsterdam, where we had to pass through a security checkpoint at the gate. A guard asked us individually questions about ourselves, on our travel, and our luggage. We were then ushered into the gate area which was walled off from the rest of the airport, and we not allowed to leave the area. Once we boarded the aircraft, we had to wait an hour, because they had to find an remove luggage on the aircraft checked in by a passenger who did not board the aircraft. I thought the security in Amsterdam was very tight. Has anyone had similair experiance?

#37652 - 09/12/01 04:05 PM Re: AIRPORT SECURITY IN MADRID
replay Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yes , Barajas airport has increased its security putting off all the wastepapers, flower-pots and holes that can be used for bombs.

But I think it´s not neccesary, nobody knows when the terrorism will attack another time.
frown

#37653 - 09/12/01 08:37 PM Re: AIRPORT SECURITY IN MADRID
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
teacher, one of my close friends who travels a lot told me that she worried a bit about traveling until she heard a news reporter (I don't know who) in an interview. He had been shipped off to some pretty dicey places and when asked how he could go to those places responded "I chose to live my hopes, not my fears." It has become one of my mottos too!

Teacher to teacher advice...go and have a wonderful time! As Eddie said, if you let these criminals control you, they have won!

#37654 - 09/13/01 05:08 AM Re: AIRPORT SECURITY IN MADRID
teacher Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks to everyone who took the time to give me some advice. This is truly a great time of sadness, and your comments and advice will help me make a decision. Thanks to all for reaching out.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments