Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37616 - 07/27/01 08:49 AM ETA
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Once again ETA are frightening the tourist, first we have the girl who blew herself up near Alicante and now a car bomb outside Malaga Airport! When will this all end? It certainly makes one think twice about visiting Spain. frown frown

#37617 - 07/31/01 10:29 AM Re: ETA
c_robinson Offline

Sue: I don't want to appear to be minimizing the misery ETA has caused to victims and their families, and nor do I want to seem to be belittling your fears, but I couldn't disagree more with you idea that ETA bombimgs are a reason to think twice about visiting Spain. Let's keep things in perspective: how many tourists have been killed or injured by ETA? How many tourists have died or been injured in traffic accidents in Spain? I don't know the answer to either question, but I'll wager the ratio is at least 1000 to 1 in favour of the traffic accidents. So if the fear of traffic accidents isn't making you "think twice" about visiting Spain, neither should ETA -- by a factor of a thousand if not more.

#37618 - 07/31/01 01:58 PM Re: ETA
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
How many tourists have ETA killed? Zero.

How many tourists have died in traffic accidents? A couple of hundreds.

I couldn't agree more with c_robinson. Of course you are free to visit whichever country you want, but keep things in perspective (that doesn't mean that ETA won't kill any tourists, but I think they won't do it because that will harm their international appearance).

#37619 - 07/31/01 02:02 PM Re: ETA
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply, actually I personally am not put off from visiting my "second home". I am about to embark on my 3rd visit this year and follow-up with a 4th in December. I could just as easily be afraid of the IRA who frequently plant bombs here in the UK. You just hope and pray that you are not in the wrong place at the wrong time!
A recent report here, shows that no-one has cancelled their holiday plans because of the bombings and good luck to them! I think the media hypes up these reports so that the general holiday-maker is made aware of the possibility of any threats and to be extra vigilant on their travels.
VIVA ESPANIA!!!!!!!

#37620 - 07/31/01 08:16 PM Re: ETA
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Yes, being vigilant will not make you any bad smile You know what a terrorist band is since you have suffered the IRA.

No one could assure you that those assasins will not put a bomb right your way, but that would be extremely improbable.

I rectify myself, I have been investigating and someone told me that an american was blasted while making jogging because he was near a bomb frown (some 15 years ago)

Fernando

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments