Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37572 - 06/22/01 07:46 PM red-light and day-light districts (Madrid)
CanCanGrrl Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
hey guys, I leave for Madrid in two weeks, and I was just wondering where as a young solo female I should avoid going at all costs. Also, (wrong topic area but I'll ask here anyway ) I'm not staying at a youth hostel but would still like to meet fellow young travelers. Any suggestions on where I can make that happen? I'm staying on Calle de Atocha, to help you out with my sphere of geography. cool smile

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#37573 - 07/03/01 06:46 PM Re: red-light and day-light districts (Madrid)
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
In general terms, even though Atocha is not a "bad" area, it is easy to find "nicer" neighbourghoods.

#37574 - 08/01/01 06:46 PM Re: red-light and day-light districts (Madrid)
Firechick Offline

Loc: San Francisco CA
Well, I'm heading to Madrid, Barcelona and Seville in mid October... what areas would you consider "safe"?

#37575 - 08/01/01 07:44 PM Re: red-light and day-light districts (Madrid)
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
i have to say that i'm fairly young (30) and i walked everywhere in madrid without any physically threatening feelings. i know i'm going to overgeneralize here, but madrid is fairly safe.

there are some very assertive males out there, but they generally don't touch. chueca was especially safe feeling for me, but perhaps that's my assumptions about chueca and my fond feelings for that part of madrid.

still, i did walk around madrid alone and more often than i care to say, at 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 in the morning, completely alone. i felt more alert than afraid. just stay alert and look like you are ready to kick butt if necessary and as if you have a goal and you'll be fine.

#37576 - 08/01/01 07:51 PM Re: red-light and day-light districts (Madrid)
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
As my dad always advised my sister and me when we were younger (and this applies for you guys out there too):

WALK WITH A PURPOSE.

Always look like you know just where you are going. If you're truly lost, duck into a safe-looking store to consult your map. Utilize familiar landmarks for finding your way (my hotel is on the block past the McDonalds/across from the Telefonica/by the fountain, whatever) and pretend you're Nancy Drew--notice EVERYTHING going on around you.

I think the problem when traveling in a big city isn't staying out of "bad areas," it's keeping "bad people" from noticing you. The way to do that is to stay alert and act like you know where you are going (and, like sheba says, it wouldn't hurt if you looked like you could kick butt if need be).

And be smart about things like clothing, luggage/purses--you can learn lots from other threads on this board about making yourself blend in and being more aware of your surroundings.

#37577 - 08/02/01 03:30 AM Re: red-light and day-light districts (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

In Madrid, for instance, there are only a few areas a tourist must be careful with his belongings - the most popular. Sol metro station is full of pickpockets, and the Rastro market mainly. There are some neighbourhoods in the city limits that might be unsafe late at night because some drug addicts and dangerous people live there, but these are places a tourist never visits, for there is not fun, sights, or anything they want to see. Names: La Celsa, El Pozo del Tío Raimundo, some areas in Vallecas.

However, and related to the title you gave to the thread, let me tell you that, unpleasant as they are, the "red light" areas are not particularly dangerous here. Some streets near Gran Via, Casa de Campo at night, ...

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

#37578 - 08/02/01 06:21 AM Re: red-light and day-light districts (Madrid)
canadiense Offline

Loc: Magstadt, GERMANY
This is slightly off topic, but an interesting comparison nonetheless. I noticed a big difference between Madrid and Barcelona in the number of prostitutes on the streets. There were way more in Barcelona, and they were a lot more aggressive in trying to solicit clients. I had my arm grabbed on more than one occasion walking down Las Ramblas at night. I was not bothered once in Madrid.

#37579 - 08/03/01 04:36 PM Re: red-light and day-light districts (Madrid)
Tia Offline

Very good advice, Sheba and Taravb!
Walk straight-backed and radiate selfconfidence, otherwise you´ll be considered "an easy victim". If you are very much afraid you´d better take a taxi when staying out late. Why would you spoil a wonderful night in Madrid by running to the hotel frightened of presumptive robbers or rapists?

Tia cool (who has walked on Gran Vía in the middle of the night)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments