Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37459 - 05/10/01 03:33 AM Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

I've been reading the postings here about getting robbed by pickpockets and had a few questions:

1. What do you think about putting money in the front pocket of my jeans and using a safety pin to close the opening of the pocket? Will this be safe enough? Or is it better to put money in my shoes?

2. For those of you Spaniards, what are the laws in Madrid concerning the carrying of knives (small knives, swiss army knives, single bladed knives, etc.)? If I'm carrying a knife to protect myself and show the knife in public, can I get into trouble with the policias?

3. What are the laws concerning self defence? Suppose you are being robbed by a pickpocket and you act in self defence, maybe by grabbing and choking the thief, can you get into trouble with the police?

4. If I'm looking for a fight one night (don't we all, at one point or another?) what section of the city contains the most pickpockets?

I know this question sounds stupid but I can't do this sort of thing in Los Angeles as I could end up losing my life. But in Madrid....

I noticed in an earlier post that someone said that the Moroccans tend to fight back....I'd like to meet a few of these punters and show them how to rob someone properly...

I think it's perfectly acceptable for honest citizens to fight back against petty street criminals.....

Many thanks

Vincent

:p

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#37460 - 05/10/01 04:13 AM Re: Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
You can't carry knives, and if you injure or kill someone you'll be prosecuted, regardless of the situation. There are no 'wild west' laws here, so be careful tough guy! Tell the policia I said hi!

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: Asterault ]

#37461 - 05/10/01 05:13 AM Re: Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Vincent......a.k.a. Charles Bronson??? frown

#37462 - 05/10/01 08:51 AM Re: Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Vincent,

From my experience, it's the smallest rooster that crows the loudest.

Having friends that work in the judicial system in Madrid... in the courts... I should tell you they frown upon turistas with a chip on their shoulder, and don't think twice about throwing them into a holding cell with people that will like them a hell of a lot less than they like their counterparts.

I would suggest you go to Spain to enjoy it, not to find a way you can be shipped back in a box as freight.

Wolf

#37463 - 05/10/01 01:00 PM Re: Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Wolf, Asterault and co.

Thanks for the advice. Don't worry, I won't be carrying any weapons or anything of the sort. smile Believe it or not, I've never had in my possession or carried a weapon anywhere, in my life (not to mention I am totally opposed to having guns, anywhere and at anytime). Some tough guy I am...ha ha!

I was in a silly mood last night, henceforth I posted a rather silly message (well most of it was not, fortunately)

The bit about Charles Bronson was hilarious....I don't know if I appreciate the distinction. Though he wasn't a bad actor smile

Thanks all for your wise words, it makes it real fun posting messages here

I'll be in Madrid 16 May so those of you looking for a fight....JUST KIDDING! smile

Cheers

Vince

:p

#37464 - 05/10/01 02:45 PM Re: Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
ok Vince....take a walk alone through Lavapiés or Tirso de Molina at night and see what you find! I can sympathize with you're wanting to protect yourself though (not look for a fight man...come on!). After I was beat up by several drunk Spaniards one night at about 1am I started carrying a D size Duracell in my coat pocket as added weight to my fist in case I saw them again!

Leche

#37465 - 05/10/01 06:37 PM Re: Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Leche,

I am very sorry to hear that you were attacked by some drunk guys. I have heard that Lavapies is a very safe place overall and that it is a good place for artists and writers. In fact that is where I plan on living (or Embajadores)

I always heard that La Latina was the place to avoid late at night, though I doubt any place in Madrid can scare me. Remember I have lived here in Los Angeles for more than 10 years. You can lose your life here for being in the wrong place at the wrong time (not to mention being of a certain race)

Cheers

Vince

#37466 - 05/11/01 04:55 AM Re: Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
This is what I have found - being from New York makes everything in Spain look nice.

"Oh THIS is a bad Spanish neighbourhood - really?? It's so quaint though..."

But still, better safe than sorry.

#37467 - 05/11/01 11:47 AM Re: Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
My fight didn't happen in Lavapiés - it happened in a Arganda del rey...a satellite city to Madrid to the southeast. But it was partly my fault for metiéndome when I shouldn't have. No big deal...it was over 10 years ago. FYI...La Latina is mere blocks from Lavapiés...it only takes 5 minutes to walk there. When walking through there at night I would just make sure you're with someone, daytime is no problem. Again, when I was recently in Madrid after a few years of being away quite a few Spanish friends warned me about this area, saying the petty crime levels had gone way up since I had last been.

Leche

#37468 - 05/12/01 07:10 AM Re: Shell game and other silly attempts at taking someone's money
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Lavapiés a very safe place? eek Well, I don't know who has told you that, but I would say just the opposite.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 930 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments