Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37444 - 05/07/01 10:07 AM Wallets
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Yesterday in Sports Authority I saw two items of interest - a wrist wallet and a shoe wallet. The wrist wallet is a narrow fabric zippered wallet that closes around your wrist with velcro. I'm not sure how the shoe wallet works, but it is very small. Neither would hold a passport, but they may be helpful for carrying extra cash, keys, and perhaps your record of important numbers. I was thinking that the wrist wallet idea might be good as an ankle wallet, which could be covered easily by a sock. I don't know if such a thing exists, and the wrist wallet I saw seemed too small to fit well around an ankle. Both of these wallets were on sale for $5.99 each.

I find hidden money frustrating, because I don't like to start rummaging under my clothes for it in a store or in a market (I always end up spending more money than I plan to), and it tends to happen in places where I can't use my Visa card - usually off the beaten path. It gets embarrassing, and a bathroom is not always handy! Any great ideas?

#37445 - 05/07/01 10:26 AM Re: Wallets
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Diana - I have never heard of wither a wrist or an ankle/show wallet ... interesting concepts thou. I have just read a number of the posts in this section about pick-pocketers in Madrid (and elsewhere in Spain)and from a woman's perspective have a few suggestions. Buy a purse and a wallet when you get to Spain - the wallets are smaller and designed to hold the different sized bills plus your normal credit cards, etc. The purses are tailored (you really have to hunt for the huge ones)and most of the good ones have a zippered closing on top regardless of the design. Many Americans (can't speak for the non-US citizens on the board) tend to carry everything but the proverbial kitchen sink in both their wallets and purses and by purchasing new ones more or less forces you to leave all but the bare necessities at home. Added advantage is two-fold - 1) you get to shop and 2) yes, thieves CAN differeniate between made in Spain and made in the US ... As said so often - try not to stand out as a tourist. Valid for Spain or anywhere else in the world

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Puna ]

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Puna ]

#37446 - 05/07/01 11:06 AM Re: Wallets
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Puna,

I totally agree with you that when visiting another country, DO NOT STANDOUT AS A TOURIST. When my daughter and I were travelling several cities in Spain, I often acted like a stranger and my daughter would always say: You may look different but always act like you are a resident of the place you are visiting.

#37447 - 05/07/01 11:26 AM Re: Wallets
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
i just found the greatest thing--a very lightweight hidden pocket jacket that calvein klein designed. looks kinda like a cycling jacket, but pockets are in front and are deep (starting from under my boobs and ending at the hip--i could carry a notebook in them, but more important, i wouldn't have to carry a purse) and the two side pocket slits (where you would normally put your hands into while strolling along) are on the inside. you have to unzip the sides of my shirt and reach under and up from the inside or basically put your hand down my shirt while facing me to get the money. very cool and stylish and in my favorite color: red. whoever designed this thing is a genius. imagine clothing that allows you to not have to carry a purse or wallet.

#37448 - 05/07/01 02:39 PM Re: Wallets
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I would never carry a wallet in my pocket (front OR back) in Madrid because that's where thieves are expecting to find it. And the traditional 'money belts' I find to be very uncomfortable. I use a small (about 4"x6") fleece bag with a drawstring to carry credit cards/money/passport. The bag goes inside the front of my pants and the drawstring around my belt on the outside. This is completely comfortable (for a guy). I was surprised when I asked Dr. Everett Rice (a 40 yr resident of Madrid) how he carried his money around and he had the same thing going!

Leche

#37449 - 05/08/01 12:42 AM Re: Wallets
azboarder Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I don't know if many residents of Spain where them, but most of my pants are "cargo" pants with the pockets on the side of the legs. I always keep my wallet in the leg pocket (they are usually button, zippered or velcroed) and didn't have any problems when I was in Paris last year. I figure most pick pockets don't look for a wallet there, plus it's harder to get into in it's velcroed or zippered. Anybody have any recommendations on this?

#37450 - 05/08/01 11:27 AM Re: Wallets
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I wear a money/passport belt around my waist and keep my passport, traveler's checks, and some cash there. I get exofficio pants or skorts with a floating pocket (a cord attached to the pocket so the floating pocket just feels like a wad of kleenex or something, but can hold change and/or credit cards). This brand of clothing also has hidden zippered pockets, velcro, and some pockets in really weird places...like at your ankle or between your legs on the skort! I keep my credit cards and more cash tucked away in one of those secret pockets. I'd like to think I'd notice if someone's hand wound up there! The only money I keep in a "normal" place is small stuff (under $20 usually) that I could afford to lose!

I try to dress more cautiously if I am in a high traffic area (the Alhambra) or in tight situations (any metro or public transportation). I actually make up a clothing plan and highlight the days I really want to be aware of safety issues! (I know that sounds a bit extreme, but I am from the "belt and suspenders" school of thought!) I don't worry about the high security pants if I am in a place like Ronda or Segovia...not that crime can't happen there, but there is usually more space between people. The money belt with my passport, however, goes with me everywhere! (Yes, the pasport does get moist in the summer smile )

While I try to dress like an "origin unknown" rather than a typical American, I am usually somewhat lost and asking for directions or taking photographs that no local would take, so I figure I have TOURIST stamped on my forehead!

The ankle strap dealie sounds fine, but the wrist band would concern me because when you are hanging by a strap on a bus or metro, your exposed arm with this strap is right up there for anyone to see. A friend of mine had her watch removed while she was taking the bus!!!!

I keep a colored copy of the first 2 pages of my passport and a set of duplicate photos in an envelope that I keep locked up in my suitcase. If I lose my passport, I can get a new one in a few hours with the contents of this envelope vs. days without it!

No special pockets, zippers, or other security devices are as helpful as being cautious and aware...just like you would be walking to your car at night after shopping at the mall! And when you travel, just like when you're at home, the most important thing to come home with is your life! If someone is hell-bent on taking your money, LET HIM HAVE IT!

#37451 - 05/08/01 12:36 PM Re: Wallets
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
La Maestra: In regards to "Moist" passports I would suggest doing what I learned. I keep my Passport and Airline Tckts in a Zip Lock baggie in my Money Belt.No big weight difference obr added bulk. You might wanta try it.

#37452 - 05/08/01 12:38 PM Re: Wallets
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
la maestra! My ladyfriend was in Tucson (I get a kick out of hearing her pronounce it "TUC-SON") over the weekend and in the southern region where they have the "armed cactus" (as I like to call them).

Anyway, (slapping myself on the wrist for going off-topic) I NEVER carry a wallet in Spain either. In fact, after the last trip in October I stopped carrying a wallet altogether because it's so much more comfortable.

In Spain I would fold over my bills and put them in the front pocket of my jeans and that was all I would do. However, when flying to/from Spain, I'd always wear my neck-bag under my shirt which had my passport -- this way hurts my vanity because it looks like I have a belly-bulge (for example, see the photo of me standing over Machu Picchu from last Christmas -- I'm wearing the neck bag here as I did everyday -- makes me look "chubby" (the visible strap in the photo is from my camera bag)).

Again, for the record, in my 4 trips and total of 3 months spent in Madrid and Spain I have never been the victim of a mugging/pickpocketing or even seen it happen.

¡Suerte! laugh Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37453 - 05/08/01 02:42 PM Re: Wallets
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Ah, plastic baggies! Great idea! I take some heat from the people I travel with because I have just about EVERYTHING in a zip lock bag...but I hadn't thought of my passport smile
Thanks!

MM...TucSON is the way all our native Spanish speakers say this word...I think it's cute! Besides, the folks who say it like this are about the only ones who can spell it!!!! Which armed cactus are you talking about? Virtually everything that grows out here has some lethal weapon attached to it! The next time she's in TucSON, if she has time that is, you might suggest she contact me and I'll show her around town!

I have spent a lot of time in Spain and only had one problem...someone had his hand in my backpack at las Ramblas in Barcelona. I didn't feel anything until the teacher I travel with hit the guy's arm! The buddy system is great for security too! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments