Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37401 - 04/18/01 01:29 PM Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
So you see! It's not only Madrid which has muggers/pickpockets!

The following is part of a SATURDAY APRIL 14 2001 article by EMMA MILLER of The Times, U.K. :

The police have launched a crackdown on crime after the British Consulate demanded action. But there is still danger on the streets

AT 8.15 on Friday night, Sukhjit Chhoker and his girlfriend Melinda Smith were gazing through the viewfinder of their camcorder at the illumiated façade of Barcelona’s Gothic cathedral. Suddenly, a well-dressed man appeared and began speaking loudly at them in Spanish, gesticulating wildly. The pair tried to explain that they did not understand — but they soon would. As the man spoke, his two accomplices swiftly relieved them of their backpack and made off into the night. Sukhjit gave chase, following the three men to a nearby metro station.

“When I got to the station entrance, there were people sprawled all over the stairs, yelling out, as if they had been roughly pushed aside,” he said. “I ran down and saw the ticket guards yelling and giving chase, as the men had just jumped the barrier, and then I heard the sound of a train leaving the station. All our stuff was gone.” READ MORE...

[ 04-18-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37402 - 04/19/01 05:57 AM Re: Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
James Offline

Loc: London
Barcelona's always had more of a reputation for robbery than Madrid though. What did surprise me about this article was the people claiming that London is safer than Barcelona. As someone who lives in London and has visited Barcelona several times I found that incredible.

#37403 - 04/19/01 06:00 AM Re: Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
There is a shortage of Guardia Urbana, and also there is a shortage here of Policia Nacional as well. Cataluña has a police force (Mossos d'Esquadra) in the works also, however plans to deploy it are behind schedule.

Additionally Spain is not accustomed to crime on this scale, and the police response is as stated in the article, somewhat poor.

I don't carry much with me when I'm out - if I lose it then it's less of an issue.

#37404 - 04/19/01 09:55 AM Re: Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Hi folks! I am to arrive in Madrid on May 11 and are travelling solo for twelve days. I am a photographer and I admit that I am very concerned, if not a bit anxious, about this trip due to the fact that it is necessary that I carry my camera with me at all times (better if it stays around my neck as I need it when I "see" a potential photograph) but people keep advising to leave all handbags at the hotel. This I cannot do. Any advice on this one? What kind of bag should I carry as I need to store a couple of lenses, film and a map/guide in it. Thanks!
Dargus

#37405 - 04/19/01 10:51 AM Re: Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Dargus! You might find the VERY LONG thread entitled " Pickpockets in Madrid " from a few months back particularly useful in this forum, but the same rules/suggestions apply.

Every year (except for THIS year! BOO HOO! mad frown confused ) I go to Madrid and tote around a full-sized VHS camcorder bag which also contains my 35mm camera, maps, extra batteries, etc. and have NEVER had any negative experience (other than sore shoulders from the weight). While I clearly look like a photographer/cameraman/tourist, no one has ever EVER bothered me. Maybe it's because those potential thieves couldn't easily grab-and-run with a 30 pound bag, but have never had a problem.

I suggest the following: when you see that "perfect shot", take a good look around, 360º, and if necessary, move to a clearing, and then take your photo/video, but keep all straps around your body. Be mindful of your things at all times, but enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37406 - 04/19/01 02:21 PM Re: Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
For Dargus:
I have a Gadget Bag I got at Eddie Bauer. It's heavy black fabric 10" x 12" x 16" in length with one double-zippered side pocket. The strap is long & sturdy enough to wear it across your body (not just slung from your shoulders), which is the way I carried it when I was doing a photo-shoot in Santiago de Compostela in '99. It's adequate for a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens (in their cases) my Vivitar 283 flash and another small Canon flash, filters, film, etc. I could even fit my SLR (Olympus OM-1). I must admit that some people might have gotten bruised as I pushed thru the crowd for a better view of the King and Queen or whatever was the object of my photo.
I felt in control of all my belongings at all times, moreso than if I was carrying them in a backpack, for example. wink

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#37407 - 04/25/01 04:22 AM Re: Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
I was in Spain with a Rainforest jacket, very comfortable and with big pockets, inside and outside, there I put my camera, maps, my Frommer's Spain 2001 book, and any other things, I felt so comfortable walking with my hands free and everything just in my pockets.

Rafael

#37408 - 04/26/01 01:05 PM Re: Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
WOM Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI USA
Be alert at all times, dargus, and don't make the rudimentary mistake that all of these Brits (and others) seem to be making, that is, putting all their eggs in one basket (i.e., bag). There's no way that anybody should be carrying his or her passport, cash, credit cards, camera, etc., etc. all in one place. That is an invitation for trouble. Spread your stuff around in secret pockets, a money belt, and a neck wallet that hangs under your clothing.

In your case, for your photography, wearing a "Rainforest jacket" as recommended by Rafael, (it is also know as a Correspondent's Jacket or Vest, as offered by Travelsmith.com) with multiple zippered/velcroed/hidden pockets, is the best way to go. That way you can do your thing and not worry about having someone rip your bag off your shoulder as your focusing in for a shot.

And for all you other folks out there -- Travel smart. Use an ATM card to get your pesetas as you need them, pay for as much as you can with your credit card, don't carry a thick wallet in your back pocket (take all the non-essential crap out of it and stick the thinner version in a front pocket where you can keep an eye on it). Additionally, leave your purse, jewelry, fancy watch, etc. etc. -- anything you'd hate to lose -- at home. Be aware of your surroundings, stay out of dark places late at night, don't flaunt your money, and don't fall for the old little-kid-with-the-map-needing- directions scam. How many kids do you know who can actually READ a map, anyway? When a gypsy with a sprig of rosemary begins to approach you, beeline it in the opposite direction. She is up to no good. If some guy squirts mustard on you as he passes by, and then apologizes profusely while helping clean it off, HE IS A THIEF. Get away from him. Be assured that his accomplices are not far behind.

Spain is an amazing place. Just as nearly everywhere else in the world, there are a few pendejos who want what you have. If you don't show them what you have, chances are you'll return home with it -- and lots of wonderful memories.

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: WOM ]

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: WOM ]

#37409 - 05/02/01 01:32 AM Re: Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Thanks for the advice! I'm only 10 days away and have to admit to being a little nervous about it all. I just turned down the opportunity to buy a condo today which has kept my mind away from Spain for the past week or so. I really need a trip after this stuff...I am still unsure about what to do about a bag and the photo gear along with a mini-disc recorder. I've always enjoyed recording and photographing when I travel as I use both mediums in a slide show that I put on for people a few months after returning. I looked at Tilley vests today but couldn't believe the prices! I think I will try a neutral looking bag to start with and maybe I will find a decent jacket in Madrid. Anyway, thanks again and adios!

#37410 - 05/13/01 04:16 PM Re: Barcelona: a mugger's paradise (an article)
jude Offline

We were subjected to an attempted mugging within 5 minutes of leaving our hotel in Barcelona. We just walked into the Placa Cataluyna about 2pm on a Saturday when we were surrounded by gypsy- type people who appeared to be begging. Whilst the woman carrying the baby was trying to touch us and blow kisses, a small child all but lifted the wallet from my husbands back pocket (silly place to have it I know) he felt it go and turned round and was able to retrieve it from the floor. We were lucky!! But we were also much more alert after that. After a couple of hours I unwound and began to enjoy my visit to this fantastic city.BE WARNED! BE CAREFUL! eek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments