Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37345 - 02/12/01 01:00 PM Is it safe to leave luggage in the trunk of one's locked rental car when visiting...?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Although I know not to leave anything in plain view in an unattended (rental) car at any time, what about leaving luggage in the trunk of a locked vehicle? Is it safe in a guarded lot? We can never quite figure out what to do with our "stuff" when stopping briefly to sightsee en route to our overnight destination. I've also read that it's best to remove everything from the car then leave the glove compartment open and the doors unlocked when parking overnight. Is this true? Perhaps I should ask the car rental folks for suggestions.

#37346 - 02/12/01 03:01 PM Re: Is it safe to leave luggage in the trunk of one's locked rental car when visiting...?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I guess the guys at the rental car company should have better advice than me. But anyway, I wouldn't leave anything in the car, even if it isn't in plain view. They may break into the car just to check if you have left something inside...somewhere.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#37347 - 02/12/01 04:44 PM Re: Is it safe to leave luggage in the trunk of one's locked rental car when visiting...?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
We spent ten days in a Renault Safrán in 1999 and drove all over with the luggage under the "tarp" in the back with no problems. We did unpack the car EVERY night when we went in, and never left things out in plain sight. I can't imagine how leaving the car unlocked is conducive to avoiding crime. They may just take it for a joyride.

Usually the casual criminal is looking for an easy mark. If they have to choose between the prize they have (i.e. what they can see) and what's behind door #3 (i.e. what "might" be in your car), they're going with the bird in hand.

We also parked in public underground parkings, which helped things a bit, as access is a little more controlled, and you are "out of sight, out of mind" to many of the crooks.

#37348 - 02/12/01 06:02 PM Re: Is it safe to leave luggage in the trunk of one's locked rental car when visiting...?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I realize that sounds a bit bizarre--to leave the car unlocked and the glove compartment open. But honestly, I read that Spaniards do this frequently to prevent break-ins. Do Spanish thieves draw the line somewhere between stealing the contents of a vehicle and stealing the vehicle itself?

On a trip to Costa Rica last year, our 4X4 was broken into while we relaxed at a nearby beach. Although we had left nothing in view in the vehicle, my husband's driver's license and several hundred colones were stashed in the glove compartment. In that typically Tico sort of way (I think they call it "quedar bien"), the thief left both the license and enough colones for a phone call or beer! Unfortunately, the nuisance created by the broken door lock somewhat outweighed his kindness.

#37349 - 02/12/01 06:58 PM Re: Is it safe to leave luggage in the trunk of one's locked rental car when visiting...?
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
As previously posted, our rental minivan was broken into as luggage was in view in the back. This happened in Valencia in '93. There was just nowhere else to leave it at the time. Unfortunate. I wouldn't leave anything in a rental car. This happened to us in Hawaii as well in '99 and the stuff was in the trunk....thieves just know how to spot the rental cars I guess.

Leche

[This message has been edited by Leche (edited 02-12-2001).]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments