Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#37268 - 01/22/01 01:42 PM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I too will add to this theme: One night in Barcelona after many wines in the Barrio Gotico (the supposed 'crime' section), I lost my wallet somewhere.

I called the bank, visa, everybody and canceled the cards at 5 in the morning.

2 days later a nice person called me at work telling me she had my wallet which she found on the Calle Escudellers. I went and got it with everything still inside.

I've never had anything stolen in Spain. NYC yes, a couple things.

#37269 - 01/23/01 03:42 AM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
mimi Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
I have just returned from travelling all through Spain (I loved it!!). And as a sole female traveller, I felt completely safe. I even stayed in Puerto del Sol and felt safe. I was extremely relieved that nothing happened to me. I guess, I walked with confidence and didn't take a bag/purse with me. That would be my only recommendation. Just enjoy Spain, and be cautious, as you would anywhere else in the world. cheers mimi

#37270 - 01/23/01 09:43 AM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
chopchi Offline

Don't you think the time of year/weather has to do w/all of this? Crime drops off during the colder weather,business was so profitable during the summer that now it's time to relax and make plans to ambush those summer tourists!!!!!!!!!11

#37271 - 01/23/01 10:09 AM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
I have only been in the U.S. for a week and I already missed the night life in Madrid and other cities my daughter and I visited. You have pickpockets all over the world. In fact during the inaugural celebration ( I live in metro D.C. area - Virginia) newscaster were giving tips how to prevent from being pickpocketed. In order not to be a victim, one must act that you are living in that city. My daughter and I ventured into some neighborhood that the senyora said "be careful". We were fine because we dressed and acted like residents of the city. In fact, when we were in a so-called unsafe area in Madrid, my daughter warned me not to speak in English and when she speaks in Spanish, pretend that I understood. All the cities we visited, even Algeciras, we were out late in the evening or even early morning, 1:00 am. One thing that I can say, I did not have to worry of flying bullets coming from nowhere. I guess the only worry I had was the ETA bombings. I do miss now walking in the evenings and the neon lights and people on the streets.

#37272 - 01/24/01 02:19 PM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
SandyS Offline

Loc: Bel Air, Maryland
I'll be in Madrid two weeks from today and I can't wait! I'm going to be with my sister, and since we're two women traveling alone, I wanted to know which neighborhoods we should stay away from in Madrid. I read that the Gran Via and Chueca areas are dangerous at night, is that true? Are there any recommendations you can make for where we should go, or stay away from, at night??

#37273 - 01/27/01 10:29 AM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
When you read through other posts on this board, you will see that most central areas in Madrid are safe, even late at night, as long as you are careful about your surroundings. Random acts do happen, in Madrid and any city, but this board agrees that in general, you will feel safer in madrid than in NYC or LA etc. Chueca is rocking at night. The Gran Via can sometimes be a bit deserted, but you won't be strolling at 2 am: you will be walking, arm in arm, purposefully toward your hostal/hotel!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments