Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#37123 - 08/11/00 12:58 PM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I wasn't going to get involved in this thread, but here goes.

I was married to a Spanish military officer. Every time there was a bomb in Madrid my heart would stop. Pedro Antonio Blanco Garcia was one of his compañeros. He was killed by a car bomb in Madrid in January. Nuria is right. They can all burn in hell.

Here is a to-the-point article I came across at CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/europe/08/10/spain.protests.02/index.html

They also have a bulletin board about it at http://community.cnn.com/cgi-bin/WebX?13@@.eeb3a40

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 08-18-2000).]

#37124 - 08/11/00 02:12 PM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi Diana,
Miguel Angel Blanco will be always in our hearts. I suffered when ETA captured him as if he were my own brother. He was engaged and he was going to get married in months when ETA kipnnaped him. I remember when ETA said that if goverments didn't reunited all the members who were in prison they would kill Miguel Angel. For 3 days people went to the streets, begging ETA to liberate Miguel Angel. We began to love Miguel Angel as a member of our own family. When the deadline came and the goverments didn't reunite the ETA members they killed him and left him still alive in the middle of nowhere. I remember that people walked with radios and watched the news constantly to find out if Miguel Angel had been liberated. I knew that Miguel Angel had been killed because suddenly I couldn't hear a single voice and I lived in a very noisy area. Everybody was shock, we didn't believe ETA was going to kill him, nobody could talk when they said in the news that Miguel Angel was killed. And then I heard people crying, my mother was crying and me too... his only crime was to be a young politician who fought for the rights of the people in "El Pais Vasco".
I still get very emotional when I remember Miguel Angel, I lived three days praying for his liberation, wishing he were okay, hoping he wasn't afraid meanwhile the ETA members in jail were celebrating and enjoying the situation. That is not fair, Miguel Angel should still be enjoying the life, getting married, having kids...
This is the case that affected me the most but there are haundred of other victims who didn't deserve that kind of death either. And there are many of them that have lost legs, arms, sight, and they still have nightmares.
Sorry guys, I don't want to ruin your day, jus remember that this happens "only" one in a while and Spain is still that marvellous country that we love, and that a group of killers are not going to scare us and make us hate Spain.
Kurt, thank you for your support. as a Spaniard I really appreciate when people support us because most of the countries believe that ETA is a group that is fighting for the rights of a small community. The truth is that that community doesn't want to be independent from Spain, and if they want there are pacific ways to get it, there is not need to kill.

[This message has been edited by Nuria (edited 08-11-2000).]

#37125 - 08/11/00 03:10 PM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
Diana Offline

Those killed by ETA are the real martyrs, and NOT the ETA terrorists who blow themselves up on their way to kill innocents, as they did a few days ago (some of their people actually consider them that). I wish the terrorists would all get together in a warehouse with their considerable supply of explosives and light a match...I find it mind boggling that something like this can happen in a country of intelligent people. I do believe that a lot of intense brainwashing is going on behind it. That, and support from other countries led by crazy people. I remember seeing an ETA training video, filmed in Libya, that was given to the Spanish television stations some years ago. Rumours of enclaves in Cuba and Panama have also circulated. What do they have to do with the Basques? All of it is so crazy...

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 08-18-2000).]

#37126 - 08/11/00 05:34 PM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
The attached link gives some current news on Spain along with CNN
http://fullcoverage.yahoo.com/Full_Coverage/World/Spain/

#37127 - 08/18/00 12:07 PM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
Diana Offline

There is a site for messages of condolence and support for the families and friends of the victims of ETA at http://www.SiSpain.org/terrorism.en.html

There are over 3,500 messages there from all over the world.

#37128 - 08/18/00 09:24 PM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
CCG Offline

Loc: USA
Kurt asked about the mood in Madrid. I was in Madrid the week of the bombings. I saw the report on the news the night that it happened, but I didn't understand Spanish well enough to know whether it had happened in Madrid or elsewhere in Spain. The next night there was a large gathering (such as Nuria described) in Puerta del Sol to protest the violence. This topic was very prevalent in the news up until I left a few days later, especially focusing on the funerals and the families left behind. Besides the Puerta del Sol gathering, however, it seemed that life in the streets was going on as usual.

#37129 - 08/20/00 09:26 PM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
ETA killed two more guardias civiles (one man, one woman) earlier this morning in Sallent de Gállego (Huesca). A bomb was detonated beneath their patrol car, killing them both.

You can read the story, as always, at El País .

Sadly, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 08-20-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37130 - 08/21/00 12:54 AM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
Bastards. It seems this senseless killing will never end.

#37131 - 01/26/01 07:48 AM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yet another death at the car bombing hands of ETA this morning. This time, in San Sebastian, a 51-year old civilian, Navy employed cook dies. Read the story in English on the CNN site.

Sadly, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37132 - 01/26/01 11:01 AM Re: ETA in Madrid (& Spain)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
MM- You seem to have two threads going on ETA. Do you plan to consolidate them? I hadn't even seen this one until your post today. It was interesting to read Nuria's comments on how close the terror has come to her, and how Miguel Angel Blanco became a "brother" to Spain.

I recently read on El Pais about where they would hole up their kidnapping victims. They had a locale in Rentería (Guipúzcoa) where there was a legitimate looking business in front, but in the back they had a cell where they would hold their captive. Check the site and do a search www.elpais.es, I'm sorry I don't have the exact URL, but here's a flash site on how the bombs ETA uses work: http://www.elpais.es/p/d/especial/graficos/lapa.htm. The picture on the front page of El Pais made me cry. The man who was murdered looked like anyone's sweet grandpa.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments