Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37091 - 08/04/00 04:07 PM Woman traveling alone
Bolobesum Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA. USA
Hola,

Thank you for the wonderful information provided. I have found this to be an extremely useful site.

I will be traveling throughout Spain for the month of October by myself. Is it safe for a woman to travel alone? Any customs I need to be aware of. (This is my first visit to Europe. I was born and raised in California and have only travelled through Canada and a bit of Baja, Mexico.)

I will be staying in hostels so I am hoping that I will meet people to travel with part of the time. In Madrid I have no worries because I have a friend who lives there and has offered to show me around and possibly a place to stay as well.

Thanks again for all the wonderful information provide by everyone.

Terri

#37092 - 08/04/00 04:41 PM Re: Woman traveling alone
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
See the ABOUT SPAIN forum for some specifics. In general it is VERY safe to travel around alone. Just be prepared for MEN to talk to you, if you are in a cafe/bar, waiting at the train station, etc. Usually it is either at a distance-- a piropo, like guapa -- or just friendly chat that you can continue or just not engage in. The main precautions for women are the same for tourists: watch for the pickpockets, keep your belongings locked up, stay out of questionable areas if you don't know where you are going, don't walk around drunk (seriously. ALL the problems my women students have had occur when they have been drinking, and then meet up with untrustworthy sorts). In hostels, make sure your room locks securely. That's about it! Have fun!

#37093 - 08/04/00 04:44 PM Re: Woman traveling alone
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GREAT advice from rgf (as usual!). Also, see the travelling in Spain alone thread in this forum for other safety tips. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 08-04-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37094 - 08/07/00 11:44 AM Re: Woman traveling alone
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
I spent a month alone in spain and I was fine, just be smart about your surroundings like you would be in any foreign place, you'll be fine, don't forget to have fun!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments