Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36955 - 06/08/00 10:08 PM Safety in general
PatM Offline

Loc: Maryland
I've heard about gypsys in Granada and other places -- have any experiences with them? Theft mostly in cities? What about theft in hostals? Driving south from Madrid, are there any areas in which one should not stop?

Appreciate hearing about experiences.

#36956 - 06/09/00 05:53 AM Re: Safety in general
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
Yes, gypsies can be a menace almost anywhere in Andalucia. On the stage, they could make a fortune as sleight-of-hand artistes!
Granada in particular has a very large gypsy presence, which on one hand gives the city some of the best flamenco singers, guitarists and dancers in Spain, but on the other, seems to increase the crime rate. Tourists are recommended to avoid the gypsy quarter altogether, or, if you do go, take the minimum of valuables, cash etc with you.
The best advice is simply to ignore them - difficult sometimes, but essential. If offered a "lucky" flower, walk on, and don't take out your wallet!! Beware also groups of them, with one distracting your attention while another picks your pocket. Don't keep wallets in back pockets, and don't keep all your valuables together just in case.
I don't want to overstate this - it's a nuisance rather than an epidemic. But sensible precautions will pay off!
Don't be deterred : this is still a wonderful place to visit!

#36957 - 06/10/00 03:47 PM Re: Safety in general
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
When I see gypsies coming at me, I just hold up my hand with the palm facing the gypsies. I mouth the word "no", but I don't say it real loud, so as to not give away my foreign accent. This has been a very good, and they back off fast.

I use to do business with the gypsies, but it was very stressful. When I bought from them, my big weight-lifting daddy from USA was with me. He was getting a kick out of watching me buy. He told me what he wanted, I did the bargaining, he paid. He loved it. I got called bad names by the gypsies because I was bargaining so low. It is funny now, but I didn't enjoy it at the time.

#36958 - 06/16/00 10:34 PM Re: Safety in general
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This is good advice, Sofía. I think we've all heard about the agressive nature of many of the gypsies who put flowers in your hand or want to read your palm.

Have we also heard about swarms of gypsy children, many distract you while one of the others picks your pocket? Of course we have. There are all sorts of scams out there and they can happen in any of Spain's cities.

I read somewhere that something to try is to stuff wads of tissues into the pocket that carries the wallet or cash. While I don't recommend carrying a wallet AT ALL (while on vacation) I can see the benefits of this technique. However, a "wad-in-the-pocket" is only an invitation to would-be pickpocketers.

Do you have any other anti-pickpocket/theft suggestions?

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-16-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36959 - 06/17/00 06:27 AM Re: Safety in general
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Gypsies are not all short and swarthy. Some are even tall and fair haired with green eyes (something valued greatly among Gypsy flamenco troupes). And it's not just in Andalucia. I got 'jostled' by a pair of Gypsy pickpockets in the Barcelona Metro. My 'knee jerk' reaction was to give one of them a side hand 'chop' to the throat.

Last year, someone attempted to pick my pockets during the Pilgrims' Mass inside the Basilica in Santiago de Compostela and again at an open air concert by Tuna Universitaria de Santiago. The latter was by a young couple with a small child: the description I heard an Italian 'pilgrim' giving to the police inside the Cathedral.

Just be careful! Don't wear showy jewelry: I saw someone grab a lady's gold necklace and try to tear it off and make it out the door of the Metro in Madrid. The lady was seated next to the door (bad choice); she screamed - the clasp held - and the would-be thief went away empty-handed.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments