Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36943 - 05/09/00 12:42 AM Terrorist groups
Jake Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA
Is the ETA a major threat to tourists in Spain? What are their objectives? Can they be avoided? I've been told of car bombings and it sounds scary.

#36944 - 05/09/00 05:47 AM Re: Terrorist groups
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Jake!

While I'm not very familiar with the absolute objectives of ETA, I believe they are the Basque Separatists (de país vasco in the northern province of Spain) revolting against the Spanish government or anyone who is standing in their way of becoming their own governing body/country. I could be WAY off base on this so please, all you Spaniards reading this, please inform us more exactly. 8-)

As a traveler, I really don't think one should worry about terrorist attacks in Spain. ETA almost never targets tourists, only people in government or government buildings. And while you never know if you're near a government worker and some of the government buildings are too beautiful NOT to visit, I don't think it's something that the travel need worry about. Their "strikes" are not very frequent and your chances of getting hit by lightning are probably better. I'm no expert so don't take my word for it, but I never worry about ETA while I'm in Spain and I HAVE been in Madrid when a car bombing happened...against the current president Aznar while he was running for office back in 1995 (but he survived).

It's unfortunate that ETA causes these problems, but it mostly affects the Spaniards who live there (emotionally) and not tourists.

So go, don't worry, and just enjoy yourself. Keep in mind that anything can happen whereever you are in the world. With that in mind, I can only hope that I don't get hit by a bus when I cross the street on my way to work this morning. 8-)

Have a wonderful time in Spain!

Saludos,

MadridMan

[Note: This message has been edited by Admin5]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36945 - 05/16/00 07:11 AM Re: Terrorist groups
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I was recently in Bilbao (Vizcaya), one of the Basque capitals in Spain. My primary concern was being able to get along without speaking Euskera, the Basque language. I had been near Bilbao in the past but had never stopped there. My cab driver coming in from the airport assured me that everyone speaks and understands castellano and that it would not be a problem. I was favorably impressed, with Bilbao, even more so with the Basque cuisine. Of course I also got to visit the Guggenheim with the 'Art of the Motorcycle' exhibit and Bilbao's 'Casco Viejo' (old quarter) where I found some real bargains.

I had visited San Sebastian (Guipuzcoa) in the past without incident.

For MadridMan:
I think Pais Vasco consists of 5-Provincias Vascongadas (and several others with large Euskadi populations such as Navarre)

P.D.
I just remembered another delightful thing about Bilbao: The traffic police in the City wear a policeman's uniform topped with a red 'boina' (beret for you francophiles).
Sorry, no red bandanas seen. I saw it as a nationalistic statement: We are Euskadi!

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 06-13-2000).]

#36946 - 06/07/00 08:53 PM Re: Terrorist groups
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Jake,

based on my own experience, MadridMan and Eddie are correct.

the pais vasco is made up of mostly very wonderful people that are happy to be how they are, Spaniards with a history unique to and vastly different from the rest of Spain.

Francisco Franco, the fascist dictator ruling spain until 1980, discouraged the autonomy of spain's unique cultures groups, and forced spain to become unified, much the same way italy and germany were unified even though they are actually made up unique states speaking different versions of a common language. the Pais Vasco, like Valencia, Galicia, and Cataluña, has inhabitants that would like full autonomy, but some Vascos are willing to go to extremes to achieve this. this is similar to the IRA in ireland.

to make a long story short, much of the violence occurs in two main areas. 1. around the government palace in Arguelles-Moncloa (Madrid), where several bombings have occured; or 2. in Pais Vasco against members of the Ertxantxa, the police of Pais Vasco. these policemen, and some others, are gunned down in front of their families and in the public during the day so that those who support the local government can see what happens to those not fighting for independence.

the only word of caution i have for you in Pais Vasco would be to not mention anything, i assume you may not know much to mention, about the Guardia Civíl in a bar or place where many people are eating or drinking (typical bar room scene). the Guardia Civíl is a component of the Castillian government and is not liked up there, so that is my only word of caution.

but i swear that the people are as friendly up there as down in the rest of Spain and that if you try to speak spanish, or if you already do, they will simply befriend you and enjoy your company as they can. have fun and don't worry too much! ¡VIVA ESPAÑA!

#36947 - 06/11/00 02:18 AM Re: Terrorist groups
Heather Offline

I spent two weeks in San Sebastian living with a Basque woman. I hung out with her friends. Like everyone I met in Spain, they were very friendly. Most of the Basque people I talked to shrugged off the ETA as a boring, slightly embarrassing topic. (Afterall, people just about everywhere are doing laundry, helping their kids with the homework and watching TV.) I was in Spain during the Colorado Columbine shootings - that was MUCH bigger news thanUS involvement in Yugoslavia (Serbians/Albanians)

While I was there, a SMALL demonstration was going on one evening. The Basque police were monitoring it, and were prepared with riot gear, but the police were very relaxed. The intent of the demonstration was "bring our prisoners home." Evidently there are people being held legally for ETA crimes, but not in the jails closest to home which violates some law. The families were protesting that their loved ones were jailed away from Pais Vasco. It was a very peaceful demonstration - just vocal. I was advised by my friend to put my camera away as I walked down the street the police were monitoring the event from. I was in Spain in March/April 1999 while there was an official truce - so tensions may be higher now.

#36948 - 06/13/00 09:17 AM Re: Terrorist groups
fnavarro Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yes, as MadridMan said, ETA has never killed (as far as I know) a tourist. They target mainly the members of the armed forces and the police (altough civils have died also).

In any case the risk is minimum, probably the chances to get shot in LA are much higher.

I would just recomend you not to mention at all this issue, it is something very serious there. I have been several times in the Basque Country, I like the place, and its people (most of them). I have many friends there. But you'd better leave this issue apart while you are there.

Regards

Florencio

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments