Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36916 - 08/20/07 09:32 PM A reliable shipping company
ceb Offline

Loc: USA
Hi. Does anyone here know of a shipping company to take things from the SE USA to Spain...clothes, some furniture, etc.?

#36917 - 11/11/08 12:29 PM Re: A reliable shipping company
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
With regards to shipping.

How would I send items from Madrid back to the U.S.?

This year we plan to only travel with carry-on. That's fine for arrival but I know we'll have more goods coming home and I don't want to check any bags at all. I'm hoping a shipping company would do.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

#36918 - 11/11/08 03:41 PM Re: A reliable shipping company
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Rolfo!

If I were you, while traveling with carry-on luggage is free-and-easy, I'd take advantage of the one-free checked baggage (or two free with Continental) guidelines with your airline instead of paying a shipping company. I guess it depends how much stuff you have, too. But if you pay the little extra cash and check TWO bags, that's 50 pounds per bag, maybe you can save a lot of money.

Shipping companies are generally VERY expensive.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36919 - 11/11/08 04:09 PM Re: A reliable shipping company
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Hmmm? VERY expensive?

That's what I thought but the wife had the idea that it would serve her well to ship. Our bags were lost for 4 days last year and she's still pretty PO'ed about it.

I'm thinking of going with our carry-on and then come back with just one checked bag full of old cloths and keep "the good stuff" in the carry-on. That's what makes more sence to me.

Just out of curiosity. When you say expensive, about how much? 100e? I'm hoping if it's ridiculus she'll let it go without a fuss:)

Thank you MM

#36920 - 11/11/08 06:46 PM Re: A reliable shipping company
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Keep in mind "the good stuff" may not be allowed in carry-on bags, including liquids (unless bought in the airport's Duty-Free shop after passing through security), Toledo swords, or fresh meats.

I can't give you an estimate of how much it costs because I really don't know. Plus, you'd have to be able to give an estimated size & weight of the package before anyone can tell you the price. But I'd imagine it could cost 200-400 Euros. You might even consult with a UPS or FedEx company to see their rates. You'll want to itemize and INSURE the contents too.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36921 - 11/11/08 09:07 PM Re: A reliable shipping company
Neddie Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
...ceb/Rodolfo...try this for a start: http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/AirfareWa...46/Default.aspx

...I think whatever you do it's going to be expensive!! In years gone by one could ship "unaccompanied baggage" with the airline that one was traveling with, however with current security regs. i don't know what the procedure would be. ceb, in your case with furniture involved i would google 'freight forwarders' and see what you get...if you have quite a lot a small container would probably be the way to go.

#36922 - 11/12/08 02:34 PM Re: A reliable shipping company
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Going back and forth to the US, we've always been able to check two very large bags (or boxes) per person. I've never been charged for extra weight (even when I went over)--we usually fly Iberia, BA, Spanair, Delta, etc. It would cost hundreds of Euros to ship over what we can fit in one of those bags...

#36923 - 11/13/08 08:08 PM Re: A reliable shipping company
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
bagged it is good of course, but if the load is too much than deal with an international freight forwarding company, like a Schenker, SDV, panalpina, etc, they sometimes do personal belonging shipping. But it has to be worth the value, paying full price is expensive.Do not know the quantity you are talking about

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments