Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36912 - 08/09/07 11:49 AM Host family gift.
krutledge2 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
My daughter is spending a semester in Spain. What is a good host give to bring from the US and what other items from the US will new friends enjoy getting? She will be living with a single woman, not a family.

Thanks
Karen

#36913 - 08/09/07 11:55 AM Re: Host family gift.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This is a good question. You'll find a number of threads on the topic in this forum category.

But we recently returned to Madrid for a visit to the parental units in Ohio and decided a good USA-based gift which you can't find in Spain are... drumroll please.... PECANS!! (huh? Pecans? Really??) YES! PECANS! (roasted, salted ones, of course, or even the sugary glazed ones, etcetera) We bought a few cans of them and gave them as gifts. Everyone loved them!

The age-old suggestion of Peanut Butter is, I think, a bit pasé now as you can find this in regular grocery stores here in Spain lately.

Something from your home state of Texas might be a nice gift too. Anyone else have new, fresh suggestions?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36914 - 08/19/07 11:19 AM Re: Host family gift.
Katha Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Hi, Karen & MM,
Suggestions of gifts for European/Spanish friends:

-Souvenirs from you city/state - the best place I found to buy these kind of things is in the airport of your city
-Photo book/Postcards/Calendar from your city or state (I bought some of this in the airport)
-Sweatshirt or T-Shirt from a local landmark or local university or T-Shirt with your City/State name on it
-Keyrings or magnets with your city/State name
-Coffee mugs with your city/State name - you can buy these at your local Starbuck's or at a local souvenir shops

I hope this helps!
-Kathaleen

#36915 - 08/19/07 04:13 PM Re: Host family gift.
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Katha,
We have many Starbuck shops in the main Spanish cities.
Things that are genuine American and not available here should be an apreciated present.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments