Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36889 - 06/27/07 06:57 PM AC/DC converter
joycenj Offline

Do we need to bring an AC/DC converter if we are staying in a hotel?

#36890 - 06/27/07 10:10 PM Re: AC/DC converter
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Your hotel may be able to provide you with an adapter but probably not a converter; you could call or email them to inquire as some nicer hotels will offer this service. However, know that you will most likely need an adapter AND a converter since the electricity is different in the US and we have different shaped plugs/outlets from Europe.

There are some American appliances, such as hair dryers and electric razors, where you can switch the voltage from 110 to 220 and thus you do not need a converter. (Be sure to look before bringing it all the way to Spain!) However, even if you can switch the voltage, you will still need an adapter so that you can plug the appliance into the wall as American outlets are different from European outlets. Click here for an earlier discussion on this topic.

Often hotels will already have hair dryers in the room so you may not need to bring one at all. Check the hotel's web site or contact them directly so that you don't have to worry about carrying one more thing from home and you have more room for souvenirs. clap

Hope this helps! wave

#36891 - 06/28/07 03:47 AM Re: AC/DC converter
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
What she said. wink Same goes for (most all) digital camera and laptop computer chargers. "Check your manufacturer for more details..." (I hate it when they say that rolleyes ) But all my USA-bought Sony products need nothing more than a simple plug-adapter. Not sure if you're coming from the USA or England though.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36892 - 07/04/07 05:15 PM Re: AC/DC converter
gregv Offline

Loc: USA
good question, I was wondering the same thing. What kind of adapter will I need to keep my laptop and digital camera chargers plugged in, while visiting Spain. I'm from the USA btw. Greg

#36893 - 07/04/07 06:14 PM Re: AC/DC converter
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
My sony laptop's power cord - the one that came with it... is itself a converter.. I just simply have to pop an adapter on the plug and plug it straight into the wall. My dig camera however needs an adapter and a converter and while the battery takes 45 minutes to get a complete charger my coverter says not to leave plugged in for more than 15 because it can overheat... wouldnt want that .. so what I do is plug in for 20 minutes and then let it cool for an hour or two and then plug in for another 20 ...

#36894 - 07/27/07 11:56 AM Re: AC/DC converter
eltorero Offline

Just FYI, I got a converter/adapter set from Target that was quite cheap. It included a set of adapters and converters for all regions of the world, each marked with the countries to use it in clearly on their respective adapters/converters.

The whole set was small, and came in a bag about the size of a sandwich. Very easy to carry in a bag. A lot of people say don't mess with it because of size/weight etc. I saw no problem with it at all.

So if anyone is looking for a handy set....Target has (or at least had, summer of '05) some goodones!

#36895 - 07/28/07 05:22 AM Re: AC/DC converter
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
joycenj writes:
Quote:
Do we need to bring an AC/DC converter if we are staying in a hotel?
You will definitely need a plug adapter (for the 2-round-pin outlets). A few (very few) hotels have a US-type flat pin 115-volt outlet, usually in the bathroom.

You may need a 230/115 volt converter.

My Norelco electric shaver is switchable (i.e., accepts 115 or 230 volts), as are the charging transformers for my digital camera, laptop computer, VCR, etc. That being the sum total of Electrical appliances I take with me, I really don't need a converter.

#84526 - 06/01/09 12:16 PM Re: AC/DC converter [Re: Eddie]
Denise 2009 Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada (ex Toledo, Ohi...
One step closer to our trip to Spain in Sept. Not only is the flight booked, but the converter/adapter kit has been purchased (about $22 CDN) ....next step - book hotels after determining a more defined agenda.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments