Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36873 - 11/14/06 04:43 PM winter coats and shoes
Bev Offline

Loc: nyc
Forgive me for this stupidity but my daughter who is going to study in Madrid in January for 6 months is telling me that they do not wear padded down jackets in Spain nor do they wear sneakers, only regular waling shoes. Can anyone tell me if either of these things is true since I don't feel like buying her a new winter coat for the few months she will be there. Also how cold does it get in Jan, Feb. Thanks

#36874 - 11/14/06 06:03 PM Re: winter coats and shoes
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi there! Yours is not a stupid question at all!

I'm not sure what a "padded down jacket" is but if it's anything like a ski-jacket then no, they're not common on the streets of Spain. As for sneakers, yes, people do wear them on the streets of Spain but probably only about 10% of the population at any given moment. I was at the clinic just today, in my white Addidas tennis shoes, and was looking around at the mainly aged population in the waiting room (about 100 people there) and saw only a very few pairs of sneakers - and those I saw were worn by Latinos. Oh, and mine, of course. wink Everyone else was wearing black or brown leather shoes.

January and February are the coldest months - a lot like in New York - and in February it could lightly snow once or twice in Madrid - and melt immediately. But apart from the rare snows in the city it can get down below freezing many nights and from time to time during the day too. But generally speaking, the average January/February daytime temperatures are usually in the 40sºF range so I'm not sure a "padded down jacket" is necessary. In this regard, Madrid is MUCH warmer than New York City winters.

As time draws near, visit the Madrid Weather page @ http://www.madridman.com/weather.html . Good luck to your daughter! I'm sure she'll have the time of her life in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36875 - 11/14/06 09:11 PM Re: winter coats and shoes
ned Offline

Loc: USA
...hi Bev...prior to a visit to Spain in April this year with my daughter,i had read that sneakers were an indication of an American "tourist". Needless to say my daughter left hers at home. During our visit we rarely saw sneakers and in summer slip-slops are a 'no-no' except at the beach. I'm afraid i can't help you with the jacket....you may like to ask the school that your daughter will be attending for their comments on the subject....on the other hand someone may post on this site.

...I would love to get your daughters comments/thoughts on the school once she has been there a while. Like MM says, i'm sure she will enjoy herself.

Bev, as an after thought, you/your daughter may like to browse http://www.elcorteingles.es . It is a big store that may give you an idea as to what is being sold - as well as the prices hehe.

#36876 - 11/15/06 11:16 PM Re: winter coats and shoes
Bev Offline

Loc: nyc
She will be at Carlos III University and will be living with a family, we don't know who yet! I think it will be soooo great! We have all been to Spain and love the place and the people. Guess we'll look for some comfortable walking shoes. We'll see about the coat, I think we can find one she can use among those in her closet! Thanks for you help!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments