Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36824 - 08/24/06 06:32 PM Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
Arriving in Madrid next couple of weeks, would like to purchase a Spanish Sim card and airtime for my phone.
Primarily to make local calls and a few calls to UK over a 6 week period. Can anyone recommend ?
Ideally would like to be able to purchase in Arrivals at Madrid airport.
() / ()

#36825 - 08/24/06 09:51 PM Re: Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
wesrick Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS
I would also like information on this.. actgually, just finding a prepaid phone would be ok with me.

Any ideas on this would be spectacular!

#36826 - 08/31/06 10:42 AM Re: Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
You can certainly purchase pay as you go phones easily in most of the high street phone stores, of which telefonica seem to be the most common. This is also one of the ways to buy top ups, simply go in one, pay the amount you want to top up and give them your money.

You can also buy Sim cards in these shops, but what I am not sure of is whether that includes pay as you go or only contract. I would guess it does but you would have to ask.

I don´t think you will be able to sort this out at the airport though. Also bear in mind your UK phone needs to be unblocked to use a sim card from a different network.

#36827 - 08/31/06 09:15 PM Re: Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
gls858 Offline

Loc: Illinois USA
Jamongris,
Assuming I just wanted a basic prepaid phone, do you have any idea what the cost would be?

gls858

#36828 - 09/04/06 01:49 AM Re: Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
wesrick Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS
are prepaid phones and sim cards available? I don't have any unlocked phones I can use...

And, does anyone know how much.. even approximately?

#36829 - 09/04/06 03:42 AM Re: Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
If its any help most if not all Motorola phones-at least those sold in the UK are unlocked.
I only paid £14.99 for my C139 (with £5 of orange airtime) from carphone warehouse. It must be possible to purchase a similar phone in Spain.
() / ()

#36830 - 09/04/06 06:06 AM Re: Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
When I bought one about 3 years ago now I paid 80 € for a phone and sim card which included 30 € of calls.

Helpful chap that I am laugh I´ve had a look on the telefonica movistar website and they are advertising them now from 39 € although I am not sure if this includes any calls, or if you have to buy calls in addition as part of the deal.

https://www.tu-tienda.movistar.es/weblog...IV&origen=P

As I said previously, the best thing is to go into one of their shops.

#36831 - 09/24/06 07:41 PM Re: Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
Bev Offline

Loc: nyc
My daughter will be studying abroad in January through June and I am totally confused about how and where she will get a phone to use in Spain locally and which will not cost her a fortune to call us in the States. Our phone is GSM but I don't believe it is unlocked so I doubt she can change the SIM card from US Sim. DOes anyone know how this works or who is the best company to get a short term contract with?

#36832 - 09/25/06 06:49 AM Re: Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Bev writes:
Quote:
... a phone to use in Spain locally and which will not cost her a fortune to call us in the States. Our phone is GSM but I don't believe it is unlocked so I doubt she can change the SIM card from US Sim. DOes anyone know how this works or who is the best company to get a short term contract with?
Your U.S. GSM Phone would have to be a quad-band (850, 900, 1800 & 1900mhz) 'worldphone' for it to work with a Spain Mobile Service provider. I have one of those, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to change the SIM and use it in Spain. For 6-months it's probably worthwhile for your daughter to buy a prepaid phone in Spain for local use. Check the link Jamongris posted.

Calling a telefono movil in Spain is quite expensive. It cost me as much to call a cousin's cellphone within Spain as it does to call Philadelphia or New York using a Telefonica phone card. That might call for a two-tierd approach: Use a Telefonica phone card (the kind with the I/C chip on the card) for direct dialed calls bach home, and a mobile phone for local use.

I am definitely of the pre-mobile generation although all my family members now use them. So, in Spain, I just use Phone cards.

#36833 - 09/25/06 01:56 PM Re: Madrid: PAYG Sim card?
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
You can also buy a sim card on ebay before you leave so you can give people your number

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgi...

Also you should be able to get your phone unlock in any market type place often by the guys that sell phone covers in Dublin this is in Moore Street and it costs €15

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 803 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments