Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36784 - 05/06/06 12:45 PM Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
Hi...

My wife and I will be in Madrid Thursday, May 11 through Wednesday, May 18 (return flight 19th). We thought we had the packing all figured out -- but the 15-day forcast now shows that it will be much warmer than normal - 80-79-84-85-85-85-76.

We really want to be able to wear shorts -- is that OK for walking around and going to museums? (Obviously we'll be better dressed in the evening for dinner & entertainment.) When is it NOT OK to wear shorts/t-shert?

My wife might be OK with a skirt/dress -- but I am dreading long pants in the afternoons.

Also, we'll be in Segovia the third day (84) and in Toledo the sixth day (85). Do the temperatures in those places vary much from the Madrid forecast?

I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks.
Steve

#36785 - 05/08/06 02:33 AM Re: Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Segovia is much cooler and Toledo may be a bit hotter than Madrid.

#36786 - 05/08/06 07:10 AM Re: Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
In Madrid it really varries day to day, by that I mean some days its sunny and shorts weather, the next might be sunny and jeans, over the weekend Saturday I carried my jacket the whole day, Sunday I wish I had brougt it, it was a bit cooler and windy. Both days were sunny and around 20 (70 I believe)

My suggustion is this, a light spring Jacket, Jeans shorts and a cool and slightly warmer Tshirt. Were not quite into the heat of the summer. This will allow to dress comfortable.

If you spending the whole day out and are unsure than I usually go for shorts and a light jacket. If its warm I tie it around my waist.

#36787 - 05/08/06 07:15 AM Re: Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:
... in Madrid Thursday, May 11 through Wednesday, May 18 ... 15-day forcast now shows that it will be much warmer than normal ...
Low to mid 80's (27-28 Celsius) isn't all that warm for Madrid in May. It should cool down nicely after sunset. Do most of your tourism in the morning; after lunch do the siesta bit, then you'll be 'Geared up' for going out in the evening. Rudyard Kipling wrote: Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun. But if you want to include a Corrida at las Ventas be prepared to suffer.
Quote:
We really want to be able to wear shorts -- is that OK for walking around and going to museums? ... When is it NOT OK to wear shorts/t-shert?
You are asking two questions: one about shorts and the other about t-shirts. Walking shorts tend to be more acceptable during peak Tourist season (mid-Jul to mid-Sep), but Madrid during San Isidro is also considered 'high season.' I don't think tee-shirts or tank-tops should ever be worn as an outer garment. A light, cotton shirt is more acceptable (or a golf shirt, with collar).
Quote:
... we'll be in Segovia ... and in Toledo ... Do the temperatures in those places vary much from the Madrid forecast?
No. But in general I think you are putting too much faith in a 'forecast' (actually an outlook) for fifteen days in advance. eek

#36788 - 05/08/06 12:09 PM Re: Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
We've had a couple of warm weekends in a row and there have been plenty of Madrilenos out in shorts and t-shirts.

#36789 - 05/09/06 08:49 AM Re: Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
We've had a couple of warm weekends in a row and there have been plenty of Madrilenos out in shorts and t-shirts.
Would a Madrileno go to the Prado in shorts?

Bill

#36790 - 06/01/06 01:53 PM Re: Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
Palooka Offline

SO you're saying it's not OK for a young woman to wear tank tops AT ALL during the summer in Madrid? I don't get it. A collared shirt? who wears collared shirts? I don't even own one.

#36791 - 06/01/06 03:43 PM Re: Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Hate to say this - once again - but the choice of shorts depends on how you look in them! eek
as well as where you are.

What is commonly refered to as 'bum (aka bun) huggers' is not acceptable unless you are in perfect shape and at the beach. Skorts (much as I think they are atrocious) are back in stlye so for the females that's a happy compromise.

#36792 - 06/01/06 04:07 PM Re: Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yeah! So tell us, Madrid in May. How did you dress for those days? Did you wear shorts afterall? I know I DID! Wow, those were some HOT days during the San Isidro festival.

Walking around he Fería del Libro we saw LOTS of women in tank tops. I was wearing shorts (and a collared shirt) but there weren't many wearing them, that's true.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36793 - 06/01/06 04:12 PM Re: Madrid - Warm next week - what to wear?
Palooka Offline

Thank you. I'm not so much worried about the shorts because I don't wear them, but I was concerned about the tank tops 'cause that's about ALL I'm bringing!

Thank you so much for your quick responses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments