Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36778 - 05/04/06 12:50 AM Bringing prescriptions into Spain
CJA Offline

Loc: California
I'm leaving for Spain in June and was wondering if anyone knew what I need (if anything)in order to bring prescription medication into the country. I have some anti-inflam. for bad knees, and I really don't want to chance having them thrown away through customs. So, other than having the prescriptions in my name(which they are),does anyone else know of anything else I need...if anything??

#36779 - 05/04/06 03:32 AM Re: Bringing prescriptions into Spain
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I wouldn't worry. Personal prescription drugs are not a problem. In Spain, they come with a piece of paper explaining all the pertinent information about the medicine, which helps, but I know that's not the case in the States. But since there's a 99.99% chance you won't even be stopped, I wouldn't be concerned.

Customs in Spain, as a rule, is not very strict, especially if you're coming from the States. I don't want to go out on a limb and say they won't stop you, but after fifteen years I've never been stopped and I don't know anyone who has.

If you're really concerned I would suggest:

1) Getting a signed printed letter from your doctor stating what the medicine is and its purpose.

2) Checking with the consulate, but they aren't always very helpful.

But once again, these are simply super-safe measures. Personally I wouldn't even bother.

#36780 - 05/04/06 09:49 AM Re: Bringing prescriptions into Spain
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I take medication every time i go as I havve a thyroid problem, and have never had any problems. I am arriving from the UK instead of the US but I don't think it makes any difference.

#36781 - 05/04/06 09:58 PM Re: Bringing prescriptions into Spain
CJA Offline

Loc: California
Yeah, I figured I'd be fine seeing in how it took me about 10 seconds to go through customs last year...with out even being stopped. I just wanted to make sure though.

Thanks-

#36782 - 05/08/06 12:07 PM Re: Bringing prescriptions into Spain
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Just make sure the medication you are bringing is legal in Spain. I recently was talking with a young lady who was taking something that was approved for use in the US, but the entire family of medications was not approved for use in Spain.

#36783 - 05/11/06 09:21 AM Re: Bringing prescriptions into Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there a location on the web for checking which meds are legal in Spain? TIA

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments