Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36764 - 04/30/06 11:47 AM Cost of Euro
jmvaco Offline

Loc: arizona
What is happening to the Euro? Ever since Madrid Man moved to Spain the cost of the Euro vs the US dollar has gone up I think its about $1.27/1.00 Euro! Are there other forces beside Madrid Man at work here if so,what are they? I am going Spain this summer does anyone think I should get my Euros now to avoid paying more this summer?

#36765 - 04/30/06 03:37 PM Re: Cost of Euro
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Let us address the situations one issue at a time.
1st. Let me assure you that MM has nothing to do with the E vs $ if he did the exchange rate would be much more in your favor.

2nd. Some of the forces that are behind the unfavorable rate are GWB, Iraq, Iran, Afganistan, to name a few.

3rd and last of the issues that you bring about is, should you buy now. That is something that only you can descide. When we travel to Europe we always take a couple of credit cards and a debit card for our local checking account. The advice that I would give you, if you are going to use the cards that way would be to call the bank security department that the cards are on and inform them that you are traveling and the approximate dates. Some banks have been known to see charges from foriegn banks coming in and shut down the account. When using the ATMs always use reasonable caution, take the receipt and keep them until you return home so you can reconcile the accounts when you get home. Another reason that you want to keep the ATM receipts is some of them have all your account information on them.

One word of caution, when we recently traveled to both London and Bacelona, we booked a couple of hotels through Bookings.net. When we arrived at the hotel we were horrified to know that they had transmitted not only the account number of the credit card, but the Expiration date and three digit security code. This to me, was nothing but pure shoddy security and placed my account at an extreme risk of fraudlant charges. The Account was closed as soon as we arrived home and a new account number issued. We also booked a through Hotels.com they were more security minded. Hotels.com also charges in dollars on the day of the reservation and you prepay where as with Bookings.net you are not prepaid and will pay on check out. The exchange rate could work either way for you in both cases.

The last thing that I will advise would be to go to a store that handles luggage and ask for a travel pouch that you can store you credit cards, passport and cash in. This is a cloth and velcro pouch with a neck strap that goes around your neck so that you can carry these items under your shirt away from pickpockets and other up standing members of society.

Other than that, have a good trip, watch your surrounding, and stay safe. Be sure to post on here how the trip went.

Once again, let me assure you that MM is not screwing with the exchage rate.

#36766 - 05/02/06 10:28 AM Re: Cost of Euro
jmvaco Offline

Loc: arizona
I realize that Madrid Man is not the cause of Euro going up but does anybody have some idea if I am going to pay $3000 for 2000 Euros this summer while I can get them now for $2500 Does someone have an opinion of how the European economy is doing so it can support the dollar?We are printing up huge amounts of dollars to finance that War.

#36767 - 05/02/06 01:16 PM Re: Cost of Euro
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
If you are asking if the exchange rate will be more favorable this summer, the answer is no.

The euro is at an 11-month high against the dollar. The euro has risen 6.6 percent versus the dollar this year as signs of faster growth prompt speculation the European Central Bank will increase its pace of interest-rate increases while the Federal Reserve prepares to end an almost two-year cycle of boosting borrowing costs.

If you are asking should you exchange your dollars for euros now, the answer depends on what interest rate you’re at receiving on those dollars

#36768 - 05/02/06 04:23 PM Re: Cost of Euro
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I never thought about the MM connection - now I have someone to blame ...

#36769 - 05/02/06 11:50 PM Re: Cost of Euro
CJA Offline

Loc: California
You know, last summer I went to Spain and the exchange rate was between $1.18 -$1.27 per 1 euro. It hasn't changed and with our current economic state it most likely won't change any time soon...so it should still be around the same rate this summer.
I know, the exchange rate is pretty bad, although you should be happy your're not exchanging for pounds.
I'm going to Madrid the 2nd week of June and staying all summer. I plan on bringing a credit card, but exchanging a few hundred dollars before hand at the bank.I find this to be the best route, but then it just depends on what you will be doing, and if you mind bank charges,etc..

#36770 - 05/13/06 03:15 PM Re: Cost of Euro
testforecho Offline

Consider opening an account with Everbank.com. Certain Everbank accounts allow you to deposit $ in dollars and transfer them into Euro. You can not withdrawal actual Euro (paper money), but your account will fluctuate with the Euro.

So, if you $1,280 USD deposit now and the exchange rate goes is $1.28 EURO to 1 USD. If the Euro goes to 1.40, your account value will go from $1,280 to $1,400. In essence, this is a hedge against increases in the Euro. There is small (.75% I think) fee for each transfer from USD to EURO and back.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments