Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36712 - 01/26/06 02:36 AM Women's style
CJA Offline

Loc: California
I went to Madrid last summer and apparently my choice of clothing (although great for the states)wasn't the greatest for Madrid. I stuck out like a sore thumb. So my point to any ladies in Madrid currently or anyone actually, what is not considered a dead giveaway for being foreign?
I am going back in June for the summer, but would like to blend in a little better with the locals..
thanks-

#36713 - 01/26/06 10:06 AM Re: Women's style
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
To look fantastic in Spain...

The key to women's fashion in Spain is twofold:
elegance and feminity. Value and Quality are the second set of characteristics.

First characteristic is femininity: slacks that fit the figure and shows the feminine contours. Same for skirts and dresses. Loose-fitting clothes while comfortable is not considered feminine.

Elegance is second. Note that the ensemble must match. Shoes, purses, scarves are all coordinated.

Value and quality are also important to most Spanish women. Good clothes are expensive, fabric, design, are costly. Spanish women coordinate their colors, so that a white silk blouse will look great with the black slacks or navy skirt!

Look confident in what you wear, and make sure what you wear is coordinated and fits your contours well, and you are bound to get a piropo!

I sound like the late Dame Barbara Cartland! eek

#36714 - 01/26/06 04:34 PM Re: Women's style
willowbarcelona Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
Booklady is absolutely correct. I would suggest, as she does, that black or navy or brown are good color choices for daily sightseeing. In the evening women really enjoy looking, this is an old-fashioned word coming up: pretty.

Well groomed is the term that comes to mind when I think of the women in Barcelona, the city where I lived recently for 3 years. Even las ancianas (the very oldest ladies) are beautifully and elegantly dressed and coifed and shoe-ed, even, and sometimes even more so, when they are being pushed in wheelchairs by their attendants. Of course that is a different subject: the respect and love and care shown to the oldest in the Spanish population.

Most of all, Booklady's suggestion that the ensemble match and be coordinated and be feminine is the best advice I've ever heard for a woman of any age who is planning a lovely visit to Spain. And she is so correct in that you do not have to spend a lot of money to do this. If you follow her suggestions, you will be complimented and may even feel as if you are taken for, if not a native, certainly a person who frequently visits and feels comfortably at home there.

#36715 - 01/29/06 12:09 AM Re: Women's style
Lynette Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Here's how NOT to stick out like a sore thumb: do not wear sneakers. Do not wear shorts. Do not sport a fanny pack! All these things shout "tourist" in an unflattering manner. While the youth of Spain are sporting more revealing clothing, it would serve you well not to. Keep in mind that in many places that you may want to visit bare shoulders are considered unseemly. When you're going out for dinner or dancing later, dress smartly. Spaniards dress very well, even for the evening paseo. Women espcially look feminine and "dressed up" compared to American standards. Don that little black dress and high-heeled pumps for the evening! And in case I didn't stress it enough earlier: leave the fanny pack at home!!

#36716 - 01/29/06 10:42 PM Re: Women's style
meencantaespana Offline

i dont mean to ask rudely, but how old r u? this is an important factor too

#36717 - 01/30/06 02:27 AM Re: Women's style
CJA Offline

Loc: California
I'm 24 years old. I dress in a feminine conservative style; like skirts, dresses, clothes that look "classy". But I made the mistake of bringing jean capris and sandals(like flip flop sandals)as an addition to my wardrobe, which were a dead giveaway of being a foreigner.

I didn't know how hot a spanish summer was going to be, so I ended up wearing tanks, sandals, the jean capris....and I got SO much negative attention, when I would wear any one of those things.

Thanks everyone for the input. smile

#36718 - 01/31/06 03:31 PM Re: Women's style
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Buy a multi-coloured scarf or two when you first arrive in Spain. Works to dress up - or down almost any outfit - around your neck, as a belt, over your shoulders ....
And buy a pair of shoes (or 2 or 3 :hdspin: ) and a purse in that same first trip. Bring only the shoes you wear to and from the plane -

#36719 - 01/31/06 04:45 PM Re: Women's style
meencantaespana Offline

skirts are big there..since ur younger especially in madrid the younger ones wear a lot of mini skirts..they can be jean also..also i wore black and white capris and then black pants...polos are nice and fun tanktops arent such a dead giveaway..wear sandals just not flipflops

#36720 - 02/05/06 03:08 AM Re: Women's style
mse924 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA / Madrid, Españ...
cja, since you're close to my age (I'm 21) I'll offer my 2 cents worth.

I'm a pretty fashion-conscious person, and before I moved to Spain I was petrified that I would stick out like a sore thumb with my clothes (especially since I moved to Madrid to attend ICADE...which is a very "pijo" university). It's funny because the fashions I saw the girls wearing when I was there (Spring 2005) are the fashions that are popular here in the states now!

If you'd like some ideas of what the local women around your age are wearing, Zara is always a good place to start. They pride themselves on always having the up-to-the-minute fashions.

Also, basics that you can mix and match are always a good standby. Matching is key smile . And, contrary to what was said above, athletic shoes are acceptable...as long as they're not your dirty, beat up ones. Fun, colored ones (like Pumas) are always a good choice...

#36721 - 02/05/06 10:36 AM Re: Women's style
misspom Offline

Loc: new york
I know I may catch some flak for this reply but I really feel I have to say this -
Before my first visit last summer I read the same things about how to dress in Spain, and I was actually quite surprised that the summer fashions are EXACTLY the same as they are in New York City. Keep in mind, it was late august and about 100 degrees - but almost all the young spanish women, in their 20's and 30's wore the same things and even at night I couldn't really see any difference. They wore flip flops, tank tops, capri pants and very low cut jeans with a bit of underwear sticking out, just like they do in nyc. I wasn't crazy about the hairstyles, either. I saw this all over - Madrid, Granada, Sevilla. In Barcelona which was cooler we did see a bit more accessorizing (and nicer shoes!) but still, in general, the look was internationally similar. Maybe the women dress differently as the weather cools down a bit but in my private opinion there isn't much of a difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments