Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36661 - 09/08/05 11:27 AM Cameras and restrictions
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
We are leaving for Spain in a couple of weeks and I just purchased a digital and video camera for our trip (both small in size). I plan on bringing both - making sure they are well hidden and out of site.

My question is concerning those events or places that will or will not allow cameras/video cameras. We will definitely be seeing a bullfight, soccer match and various museums, etc.

Will most of these events/locations allow cameras and video cameras? Any experiences with being told that you could not bring them in?

Also, am I being "risky" by bringing both? (e.g. risk of theft? I lived a little while in Spain some time ago and never had any problems.

thanks
--el tio

#36662 - 09/08/05 12:22 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I was in Spain last February/March of this year. Visited Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Madrid, Toledo and Salamanca.

When I travel I carry a Digital SLR, various lens and large camera bag. My gear screams to potential thieves I carrying expensive gear. I had no problems while in Spain. I even took flash photos of friends in Plaza Mayor in Madrid at night. If that does not attract attention I do not know what does.

On the other had, I always aware of my surroundings and the people walking by me. I "never" leave my camera gear out of sight, I always carry it and when I not using the camera it is in the bag. That is one less thing I have to watch. I always tell the gypsies women with twigs to get lost and since I live in New York City if my instincts say leave an area or I do not fell safe, I leave.

Also long as you act like a tourist who knows what they are doing and aware of their personal safety, there are plenty of tourists that do not know what they are doing and the thieves always like easy pickings.

If you are going to Barcelona, I would recommend reading this I found on another website so you know what the warning signs are.

http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000247

You did not mention the places your are visiting but I found Spain a very photographer friendly when it came to photography restrictions. Toledo's Cathedral was off limits also Salamanca's old churched too. I really do not know what video restrictions are.

Bill

#36663 - 09/08/05 01:11 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Don't worry, you'll be tell where you can't use your cameras. Some places, like museums, don't allow cameras with flash to protect the paintings (but you can use it without flash). Others, like concerts, don't allow them for copyright reasons. And finally, other places, like cathedrals or churches during mass, don't allow them during certain hours (not to disturb people attending mass) or to protect the paintings.

All these places are usually well used to being visited by thousands of tourists, so there will be advises (probably in english, or at least with pictograms).

As for thieves, just use common sense and don't show them unless necessary. Don't leave them where you can't see them (leaving them in a chair while having a beer in the town center for exmaple wouldn't be wise). The more concealed you have them the better (they mark you as a tourist, the preferred targets of pickpocketers).

But don't be obssessed, just use your common sense and take care of your gear.

Fernando

#36664 - 09/08/05 01:50 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
el tio Offline

Thanks for the advice. We'll be visiting major sites in Madrid (Ventas, Prado, plaza mayor, etc.), Segovia, Toleado. We will also visit BCN (familia, picasso, Camp Nou, etc.), Girona and spend a few days in Alicante (beach). Based on your comments, it sounds like most places will allow cameras or tell you not to take photos. My concern was that I'd go to a Barca game and upon entrace, they would tell me I couldn't go in with the camera, leaving me miles from the hotel with no place to put it.

Despite the many pickpocket stories, I lived in the Barcelona and Murcia areas for some time and never had any problems (except one night when I didn't shut the piso door all the way...genius)

el tio

#36665 - 09/08/05 10:49 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
When I was last at The Prado, they didn't allow cameras but were very helpful in checking it in a secure room.

BTW, The Prado has one of the touchiest metal detectors I have run into.

#36666 - 09/09/05 05:59 AM Re: Cameras and restrictions
YZYZ Offline

Loc: Madrid
The Prado allows you to take pictures without flash of almost everything. If you use a flash, the guard will come and yell at you but they won't bother you for taking any other pictures. I imagine there may be restrictions on special exhibits that they do not own. That is the same with any museum.

The Reina Sofia has signs everywhere saying not to take pictures but last Sunday I went in and nobody told me to check my camera. I took plenty of pictures without flash until finally one guard told me no pictures. He was nice about it but they won't kick you out or arrest you. I'm sure I wasn't the only stupid tourist that did that!

#36667 - 09/09/05 08:12 AM Re: Cameras and restrictions
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
When I was last at The Prado, they didn't allow cameras but were very helpful in checking it in a secure room.

BTW, The Prado has one of the touchiest metal detectors I have run into.
Mongo

I think you are in error here. I visited in early March of this year. I had to have my camera bag searched and was informed by the guards I was required to check in my camera bag, but I was permitted to take photos. I will admit I did get lost trying to find were I had to check in my camera bag. On the other hand I did not try hard enough to find it.

I was carrying my camera bag with me and spent five hours in the Prado, took over 800 photos and never once was told not to take any photos. But I do know the security guards notice me, because many time I would hold up grey card infront of many of the artwork to get a good grey balance reading due museum's diffcult lighting.

I think I will stop by again for a few hours when I visit Madrid again in late September. It is a "fun" art museum compared to other museums I been to the also have great art.

Bill

#36668 - 09/09/05 09:03 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
It was a video camera. Does anyone know if they are treated differently? It was definitely not allowed.

#36669 - 10/12/05 02:25 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
el tio Offline

Just to give an update since...the Prado did allow cameras w/o flash, but they told me I had to check in the video camera.

I went to a Barcelona soccer game and a bull fight at las ventas, and was able to bring in both the digital and video cameras. No one checked or said anything.

Most cathedrals and museaums are pretty clear on what they'll allow, and will have a place to check bags cameras if necessary.

When I was in the cathedral of Toledo, they were very strict about no pictures, but
I was surprised when I went to the Basilica of Montserrat where no picture taking was allowed but people were shooting away, with the flash. No one seemed to mind.

#36670 - 10/13/05 03:39 AM Re: Cameras and restrictions
YZYZ Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yeah, the Toledo cathedral is funny. There are always people trying to take photos or video inside and you subsequently hear the guard shout from across the room "NO FOTO!!". Of course they don't kick the people out. The same goes with anywhere. If I think I can get away with it, even if I am told not to take a photo I will try except in churches where I follow the rules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments