Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#36626 - 08/19/05 01:01 PM When Do You Pack?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I pack my cloths/camera gear one week before a trip. I test my camera gear and portable PC a month before the trip.

The hard part is waiting to leave for me frown Because I really do not have anthing to do except go to work and count the days.

So when do pack for your trip? The day before you leave? eek

Bill

#36627 - 08/19/05 01:11 PM Re: When Do You Pack?
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I normally pack the night before, but we're going to try the Rick Steves method and try and pack everything into a carry-on. This will be a real challenge for my wife as we frequently drive to our destinations where we have few limitations on what she can bring (she will probably start at least a week in advance).

#36628 - 08/19/05 01:23 PM Re: When Do You Pack?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Bill from NYC! I'll typically put things (but not clothes) aside in a designated place the week beforehand. I do this because, of course, I tend to think of things when I'm at or on my way to work, at the grocery, on the phone, or whenever and then I'll jot it down on a post-it Note which I carry around in my pocket. When I get home I'll put those things aside too.

As for the clothes, I typically know what I'll be packing so I leave that 'til the day before or even the day of the flight if that flight is late in the afternoon. But still, I'll push those hanging clothing items to one end of the rod in the closet. I don't like to put my clothes in the suitcase until the last moment simply because I ABSOLUTELY HATE WRINKLES and certainly don't want to spend my first day in Spain ironing those same clothes. If I fold my pants and shirts with exceptional care, down precise lines, I can usually get away pull them out of the luggage upon arrival with virtually no wrinkles.

I always put my passport, tickets (if they aren't E-tickets, which is usually the case), and any leftover Euros, metrobus passes, and contact names/numbers/email addresses in a large ziplock bag and put that in my suitcase FIRST, days before leaving so that these very important items won't be overlooked in the hustle-and-bustle of packing. Putting them in a large ziplock bag keeps everything together and keep them very visible.

Don't forget your plug adapter for your camera/portable PC cable to plug that into the wall in Spain/wherever.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36629 - 08/19/05 07:47 PM Re: When Do You Pack?
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
It doesn't seem to matter when I pack...I'm going to overpack no matter what! But, I'm getting better.

How?

About a week before my trip I start laying out all the clothes I want to take with me on a bed. Then, everyday or so, as I pass the pile of items that I originally intended to take on my journey, I start taking items out of the pile. By the end of the week, there is a lot less than at the start. It allows me to take, basically, the essentials with a few extra items.

The most important thing, however, is that I have to decide which color shoes I need to take...and stick to that one pair (excluding the shoes I'm wearing at the time).

By the night before the trip...a lighter and more carefully selected wardrobe!

Sheryl

#36630 - 08/19/05 07:50 PM Re: When Do You Pack?
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
This is one of the most interesting post that I have seen on this board in a long time. In the early 70s when I was stationed in Spain we were a combat rotational unit. It got to the point that I could pack and be on the plane in less than one hour. Mrs. Dweller is like MM and starts several days in advance. In 2003 one of my Torrejon buddies and I took the wives and went back for the first time since coming home in '74. The wives had never been to Spain. Both women started to pack and get ready several days in advance. Both men packed the morning of departure. Bear in mind they live in Tulsa and we live in Phoenix, neither knew what the other couple were doing or how they were preparing. When we got to Madrid both women needed to run out and pick up a few things they had forgotten. Both men had everything, and were ready to see the sights. So there is something to be said for that USAF deployment training. wink

By the way, it was when the women needed to "run out and pick up a few things" that one of them asked what El Corte Ingles was. I chimed in and said it was a thrift store like the Goodwill, or Salvation Army and managed to keep a straight face. That worked ok at keeping them out of those places until the last two days of the trip.Theeennn they found out what was in there. Those credit cards are still aching from that afternoon of shopping. smile

#36631 - 08/19/05 11:59 PM Re: When Do You Pack?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I start the packing process while unpacking. I fill the toiletries before putting the bag away. 90% of my non-clothing travel items stay in the bag and are always ready for the next trip!

Clothing goes into the bag the night or two before.

#36632 - 08/22/05 12:36 AM Re: When Do You Pack?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Procrastinating college student here.... i typically pack (start and finish!) a couple hours before I have to leave for the airport. Yes, this technique was put to the ultimate test when I somehow managed to pack 2 stuffed suitcases for a semester long stay in Spain less than an hour before my airport shuttle left!
eek
Kelly

#36633 - 08/23/05 01:46 PM Re: When Do You Pack?
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
Normally I'm already half-packed at all times by having all my toiletries together at all times and ready to go. All I need do is add clothes and go. But because this trip is longer than normal, and I have to be a bit more concerned with luggage weight restrictions, I needed more planning.

Actually, I guess you could say I started "packing" in June. Started buying/setting aside all the things I would need and placing them in the spare bedroom. Now I have everything I need. This weekend I did a sort of "packing test" to see if I met the weight restrictions. (On BA checked baggage has to be less than 50 pounds and carry on 12 pounds or less) It also gave me the opportunity to go over everything and toss what I absolutely do not feel I will need.

I'll pack everything the day before I leave - and I allow all day for it. I put on some relaxing music, maybe have a glass of wine - anything so I don't feel rushed and hurried. That way I don't forget anything and everything ends up where it's supposed to be. I've never liked packing at the last minute as I always end up forgetting things!

#36634 - 08/26/05 10:16 AM Re: When Do You Pack?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Reading the replies make me think the way we live is how we pack too. The reason why I pack a week before is because of work, not because I am organized person. Far from it!

Anytime I start my vacation I usually and have been doing it for the last five years, I fly out that Friday night and usually leave work early the same day. So during the week Monday - Thursday the chances are I will be coming home late from work and really do not have the time to pack. Once I did not packed my camera gear over the weekend and the Wednesday before me flight, I was up until three in the morning packing it and only had two hours of sleep before I had go to work. I recall the Friday night flight to Milan I passed out on the fight for the lack of sleep. frown

This weekend I going down to the basement to check out the suitcase, my travel camera bag and the travel gear which I have not used or seen since six months ago when I used it last.

Hopefully I do not have any surprises and I did early this year when I found my shaving kit bag was damage and I need a new one. confused

Bill

#36635 - 08/26/05 11:16 PM Re: When Do You Pack?
Granadina80 Offline

Loc: Granada as of 9/12
My philosophy for packing is to pack incredibly light, 'cause you'll definitely be doing a lot of shopping when you're there! (Well, at least I will!) And hey, ya wanna fit in, right? smile I leave for Granada in 2 weeks (for 3 1/2 months! YAY!) and I plan on taking very little... and buying what I don't have. Teehee. laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments