Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3660 - 02/23/02 06:22 PM Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
Catalina Ciriza Offline

Loc: California
I will be in Madrid June 10-15 before flying to Bilbao. I would like to stay in a hotel that has clean, quiet rooms, daily maid service and an in room bathroom., with a nice decor. I will be alone so I will book a single. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has stayed at either or both (Hotel Mora or Hostal Dulcinea ) of these places so I can decide which one to book. I welcome any ideas, observations, etc. Thanks in advance.
Catalina smile

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3661 - 02/23/02 07:45 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You're in luck, Catalina! MUCH has been posted already on these two fine establishment. I suggest testing the SEARCH link above/right and use MADRID MORA and MADRID DULCINEA as your keywords and you'll find probably dozens of thread on each of them.

I have personally stayed in Hostal Dulcinea and I think you won't be happy with it or any hostel if you're looking for nice decor. I'm not saying it doesn't have nice decor, but it's a hostel and really few (if any) have anything more than basic furnishing and few extras, but most all have in-room bathrooms. You'll have your own key and a smallish room if you're booking a single (or even a double, for that matter), but the price will be right and it will be safe. I always recommend Hostal Dulcinea in Madrid and it's in my favorite area of Madrid too - in old Huertas.

And what about Bilbao? Do you already have lodgings there? Remember, this is an ALL SPAIN message board. Not JUST Madrid. smile We'll be happy to help you with Bilbao ideas too. Have a great time in Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#3662 - 02/23/02 08:28 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
Catalina Ciriza Offline

Thanks, MM. I searched your site and others for Bilbao recommendations without much success. I am also going to Pamplona and Barcelona and have searched all sites (this one,too) for information on them as well.
Based on your comments, I think I'll stay at the Mora (which I also searched on this board and others). What do you think of the Mora? Have you stayed there? Any personal recommendations for Bilbao, Pamplona, and Barcelona? Thanks. cool

#3663 - 02/25/02 09:25 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
The Mora gets good reviews on this board. I didn't stay there but ate in their restaurant and the lobby area, etc was very nice. It's also convenient to Prado, Atocha station, Retiro park, botanical gardens, and metro--all within walking distance. If you're into decor, try the Hotel NH Nacional on Paseo del Prado just down from the Mora closer to Atocha. We stayed there and were enchanted by the rooms (very much Spain atmosphere)--Picasso modern with beautiful multicolored (brown, red etc) natural wood trim and floors, modern baths, headboards with controls for recessed lighting. Electric coffee/tea set. Desk and comfortable modern easy chair. Also a balcony onto the street with electric shutter (control at headboard) to close down to drown out the noise at night. Hotel NH Nacional is more expensive than Mora--we paid about $80/nite for double.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3664 - 02/26/02 10:29 AM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
ub&aj Offline

My Wife and I just got back from our first trip to Spain. While in Madrid we stayed at the Hostal Dulcinea . We made our selection of this Hostal based in large part due to the information supplied on Madridman's web site. It was Great !! Neat and clean. Why it got the "WIFE" Goodhousekeeping Seal Of Approval. Jose, Maria and son the owners, were very nice and anxious to please. You will find the rooms a bit small but you go there to sleep not dance. Price, Location, and the room itself were excellent! There is an elevator and the security was good.
You of course can stay at the Palace Hotel right down the street but, be prepaired to pay a good deal more. smile

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3665 - 02/27/02 08:17 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
Catalina Ciriza Offline

Lowell - What did you think of the neighborhood? Is it safe? I will be alone in Madrid and I wonder how late I can return to the Mora at night and still be safe. :o

Ub&Aj- I heard the Hostal Dulcinea was pretty close to Hotel Mora? Is it? confused

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3666 - 02/27/02 08:49 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
HOLA Catalina, yes you will be very safe staying at either the Mora or Dulcinea, both within walking distance of the main attractions ect. You will be using brightly lit roads and streets and there are usually lots of people around until the early hours. The Dulcinea is almost around the corner from the Mora. The Dulcinea in on C. Cervantes and at the bottom on the main road there is a VIPS store and cafe which is open until 3am. ideal for that early breakfast or late night coffee.
Sue.

#3667 - 02/27/02 08:56 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
Catalina Ciriza Offline

Thank you, Sue. Now let's see if I can get a reseravation! eek

#3668 - 02/27/02 09:45 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
SuePycroft,
where are the VIPS and cafe that are near Dulcinea?

Thanks!

#3669 - 03/05/02 09:23 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Catalina- We stayed at the Hotel Aranzazu in Bilbao and were very pleased. It's a four-star, which is out of character for me, but what was available at the time. I recommend it for comfort, a central location (near the train station, close to "el Guggen") and safety. The staff were definitely professional.

In and around Pamplona, you may want to consider a rural B&B for lodging. The prices are just as right as a hotel, and the accomodations and views are usual 100x better. Try www.toprural.com for more information. They have an English site "por si acaso..."

Suerte on your viaje...

#3670 - 03/05/02 09:39 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
Guapetona Offline

hi catalina!

as far as pamplona i personally recommend the ac hotel. it was gorgeous, great service, stocked minibar for free, and wonderful restaurant. its around 100 usd. ac pamplona
also, a great pub across the street..always packed called the "jumping jester"
have fun!! smile

#3671 - 03/10/02 11:24 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
sabalagirl Offline

Loc: Utah
I see so many great posts on this site and also seeing this hostal in the Lonely Planet, I made a reservation at the Hostal Dulcinea in January for two apartments for July. Sent my credit card and received my confirmation for two apartments. In February, more family decided to come to Spain and I tried to book another room. They informed me that they could not rent the apartments after May and that I did not have a reservation for apartments for July. I could get rooms without air conditioning for July. Is this the old "bait and switch?" Now I wonder if they were EVER going to tell me my apartments had been cancelled if I had not written to them. I will NOT be staying at the Hostal Dulcinea.

#3672 - 03/11/02 12:02 AM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Wow! I'm sorry to hear of your experience with Hostal Dulcinea , sabalagirl. So they claimed you hadn't made a reservation for the 2 apartments, eh? frown And what was their response/reaction when you emailed them the confirmation they gave you for those 2 apartments for July??

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#3673 - 03/11/02 12:18 AM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
sabalagirl Offline

The reply was slightly rude because I could not understand whether they were telling me I could not have any rooms or just one additional room.Oh, well there are other fish (hostals) in the sea(Madrid). I am reading old posts to find one.

#3674 - 03/11/02 06:05 AM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

sabalagirl, copy their reply to you here and we'll translate it. Rudeness is a pretty subjective thing, especially cross-culturally and if you're not 100% sure what they're telling you because of the language barrier.

Hope you find something else! I'm sure you will. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

#3675 - 03/11/02 11:39 PM Re: Madrid:Hotel Mora/Hostal Dulcinea
sabalagirl Offline

The reply from the Hostal Dulcinea was in English. I just thought it was not clear the first time and wanted to know if my first two rooms were canceled also. Now all my room are canceled.
Thanks any way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments