Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#36360 - 01/17/05 01:38 AM Teen fashions
ellenoregon Offline

Loc: oregon usa
I'm going to Spain in March and bringing my 15 year old son along. In the US he dresses in big jeans and cargos (I'm always telling him to pull them up!). I'm trying to convince him to bring some pants that actually fit him around the waist, guessing that this ridiculous fashion doesn't fly in Spain. Am I wrong or right?

#36361 - 01/17/05 05:03 AM Re: Teen fashions
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi ellenoregon

This is one I am familiar with :p

As long as his boxers/CK's/whatever are the right ones he'll be cool cool wink

Jo

#36362 - 01/17/05 09:19 AM Re: Teen fashions
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Here's some good questions for Spaniards et. al.: If ellenoregon's 15-year old son wears is baggy, droopy cargo pants, tennis shoes, and (possibly) ball cap (baseball hat) around Spain...:

1) Will he be denied entry to some restaurants because of his attire?
2) Will potential pick-pocketers yank his pants down around his ankles in order to rummage through his pockets?
3) Will he be targeted as a foreigner/tourist?
4) Will he feel out of place or more comforted in his unique-ness?
5) Will he return from his Spain visit wearing the latest "cool" Spanish fashions and impress his friends?
6) Will he spend the entire trip in the hotel room taking advantage of the free high-speed internet access (i.e. GoMadrid's son at Hostal Adriano - hehehe.. wink )
7) Will his clothes turn off the girls in Spain?

Just a few things to consider when packing. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36363 - 01/17/05 02:59 PM Re: Teen fashions
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
The question is not so much will he look out of place, as much as do you want to be seen with him out in public of another country looking like a punk gang banger. The Spaniards have seen enough American movies to know what to associate that type of clothes with. So don't look for some band of Spanish girls to start following him around wanting to go out with him. Frankly if he was my kid, he would either straighten up and toe the line, or stay at home and play with his video games while I was in Europe.

P.S. Take that book you have on how to raise children by Dr. Spock and throw it in the trash.

#36364 - 01/17/05 03:18 PM Re: Teen fashions
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I believe that dressing is a very personal issue, however, I can answer some of the MM questions wink

1) Will he be denied entry to some restaurants because of his attire?

Yes. In some restaurants he will be denied access or he will feel like an alien.

2) Will potential pick-pocketers yank his pants down around his ankles in order to rummage through his pockets?

Not probable :p

3) Will he be targeted as a foreigner/tourist?

Without doubt. That kind of dressing is extremely rare in Spain (though not unseen).

4) Will he feel out of place or more comforted in his unique-ness?

That depends on him smile As I have said, he will be targeted as a foreigner for sure, and he will be the only one dressing like that in miles around.

5) Will he return from his Spain visit wearing the latest "cool" Spanish fashions and impress his friends?

Again, it depends on him and what he likes.

6) Will he spend the entire trip in the hotel room taking advantage of the free high-speed internet access (i.e. GoMadrid's son at Hostal Adriano - hehehe.. )

That would be a crime! There is so much to see and to enjoy in Madrid for a 15 years-old guy.

7) Will his clothes turn off the girls in Spain?

Maybe, or maybe the uniqueness will attract some girls. It's difficult to say.

Perhaps the best would be to carry a variety of clothes so he is able to choose what to wear once he sees how people dress in Spain. If he feels comfortable being the only one wearing big jeans and cargos so be it. But suggest him to bring some more clothes to avoid something as fool as this ruin his trip smile

Fernando

#36365 - 01/17/05 03:35 PM Re: Teen fashions
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
In case you want to give your son a hint on teenage fashion, you can introduce him to springfield (the teenage oriented brand of the Spanish fashion giant Zara)

http://spf.com/

The site shows basically the trends for middle class teenagers in Spain, choosing spain as country in the menu you get what they are selling now, so you can more or less show your son how the landscape looks like.

#36366 - 01/17/05 04:30 PM Re: Teen fashions
ellenoregon Offline

Loc: oregon usa
Thank you Fernando and nativo for great information. Desert dweller drop your weapons and relax. Perhaps you need to visit a high school and get reoriented to the next generation.

#36367 - 01/17/05 06:45 PM Re: Teen fashions
desert dweller Offline

I think you are the one that needs to get in tune with reality. I have been to high schools and seen the way they dress now, along with their attitudes. It is a least three times a week that one will walk into my shop and want a job. "I ll keep you in mind"

"Well don't you need my number?"

"No, I got that when you walked in the door."

So much for him and his you owe me attitude.

No the Spaniards are not going to be impressed with your son or you. I think you will find that in most of Europe the parents are in charge of the household, not the kids. You are the one that most of the scorn will be directed at.

Stay safe and have fun.

#36368 - 01/17/05 07:33 PM Re: Teen fashions
ditravelphoto Offline

Loc: Seattle
So much for no personal attacks??!!! Judging a person solely by their clothes, sure limits your outlook.

I have to agree with you that I think this silly style of your butt hanging out is laughable, not sure how they could run should the situation arrise!!

However, every generation wants to looks stupid in something. It doesn't mean you don't have a smart, capable child willing to learn and work. Remember that these "kids" you aren't giving a chance now will be the ones screwing with your future...good luck!

To each his own...

#36369 - 01/18/05 12:51 AM Re: Teen fashions
desert dweller Offline

Ditravelphoto: There is an age old saying "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, its probably a duck." I have several friends with high school and college age kids. Interesting to note, the way they dress is also reflected in the grades they bring home.The sloppy dress carries over into the grades. smile

Your comment about some of those kids I send packing out of my shop. If he isn't smart enough to pull up his own pants, why would I want to trust him around power equipment and high voltage?I have one working for me now that is 27 and has been with me since he was 15. I will be the first to admitt that I have hired some that I lived to regret. rolleyes

As per you comment about them being the leaders of the next generation, I am not concerend about a kid 18 years old that does not have enough brains to pull up is own pants ever being in a position to cause me any problems. wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments