Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#35936 - 05/07/03 05:10 PM about cameras...??
sneak Offline

i am very, very unsure about what type of camera to buy or pack due to the high amounts of pick-pocketing, mugging and robbery in spain.

as of right now, i have no camera (funny-it was stolen a year ago here), and i need one for my travels. my friends here have been trying to convince me to go digital and buy many extra memory sticks, but i've heard that when transfering my memory onto computers in spain, the systems probably won't be compatible-so i'd have to buy some special conecting wires. but carrying a digital around will totally label me as a rich north american,and i'm afraid i'll become more of a likely target.

as for just buying a 35mm, it's just the film that will be expensive. i've also heard that rolls of film and development of photos are very pricey in spain.and with all the new high-powered x-ray machines in the international airports, i'd be leery about taking undevelopped film through them, or putting it in my suitcase.

finally, i've thought about disposable cameras. that way if they get stolen, all i will lose are the recent photos, and not an expensive camera. but, since i'm backpacking, they will be a pain to cart around (unless i can open them up and take out the film myself- but then we get to the film-developping-problem again). and i have no idea how expensive disposable cameras are to buy in spain- i imagine alot.

please!!! i need some advice!!! confused

#35937 - 05/07/03 05:32 PM Re: about cameras...??
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Get a small (compact) 35 mm camera with at LEAST a 80mm zoom power (I like about 110mm zoom so I can pull in those distant shots like at the beach :0 uhhh I mean the spires on the cathedral laugh ). Get it with as many options as you can afford (date, red eye reduction etc). I like the Olympus or Pentax family of cameras.
Buy your rolls of film at home and bring them in a clear zip lock on your carry on.
Buy a disposable camera at home as well OR buy it in Spain. They are NOT EXPENSIVE. They are available in Black and White as well. I use one to take all my B&W shots, that way I am not constantly changing films and shooting B&W when I want to shoot color.
The compact 35mm camera is small enough to be inconspicuous. Most come with a sturdy pouch that you can carry on your belt. Cover the brand name with a piece of tape so no one can see the brand. That turns your camera into a "generically unattractive camera".
Personally I prefer 35mm to digital. Digital is expensive (now) and logistically difficult.

Anyone else offer any insite??
Cheers.

#35938 - 05/07/03 05:39 PM Re: about cameras...??
Snoo Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I am wondering about this, too. I have a little Olympus, but it doesn't take very good pictures.
Last summer I bought a 35 mm Minolta - the older "clunky" kind. It takes fantastic photos and
I bought it to take beautiful travel photos. I hate to leave it at home when travel is the very
thing I bought it for... I have a bag that has about a 3" wide strap and it can fit down into
it. The bag is meant to go over your head and across one shoulder - quite secure and not
very large. I do hope it won't get stolen... Any thoughts? confused

Oh, and I also have a little APS camera that is wonderful - however, I don't know how easy
it will be to get film developed quickly (24 hours) and what the cost would be for developing.
It might be outrageous...

#35939 - 05/07/03 06:07 PM Re: about cameras...??
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I have a Hewlett-Packard digital camera and haven't had any problems with it (it is true that forgein tourists are preferred and easier targets for muggins). What's the problem with the memory cards? If you have a USB connector I guess you won't have any problem transferring photos to a computer in a cibercafé. Besides, most photo shops in Madrid would transfer the photos to a CD without a problem...

Fernando

#35940 - 05/07/03 07:42 PM Re: about cameras...??
OhMike Offline

Loc: New Jersey
IMHO: Get a Canon S200 digital. It's small (pocket small). It takes great pix. It has a built in flash, and it has the most elegant looks and the best ergonomics of any camera in its class.

You can get a package with an extra 96 MB memory card that should give you hundreds of photos to shoot, so you don't even HAVE to download the pix till later. Don't bother using the highest quality/file-size settings: You won't need them to get great pix, and in fact it would make your pix files too big to send or print or view on a computer screen. You can settle for the "good" setting instead of the "best" and therefore have room for so many more pix.

DON'T get the newer, more robust-featured S330: It has more features--but you don't need them and the camera is bigger and heavier...to the point that it makes a bigger difference than you would think when you're trying to stash the camera in your pocket. With the 200 you can do exactly that: You won't have to worry about how you'll look because nobody will see the camera unless you whip it out to take a photo. You won't get it pickpocketed or robbed (in all likelihood) because you can carry in a front pants pocket. The fact that you won't find it a nuisance to take the camera with you means you'll have the camera when you want it and need it. You'll take more pix, and better ones, believe me.

This camera and its ilk have inherent red-eye problems when you use the flash at certain distances. That comes with the geometry of where the flash is relative to the lens on such a small camera. It's a problem, but live with it. The other advantages of this camera make it worth it. You'll learn to shoot from distances (nearer or farther than mid-range) that minimize the problem. Or you could always fix the red-eye with a photo-editor later, but that's a pain and it takes some skill to get it right. BY the way, the built in pre-shot red-eye reduction lamp isn't worth a hoot, but ignore all that. The camera does have a nifty zoom that will turn you into a regular Helmut Newton. And it takes short (not great) movies, too! Now, if you can only find your very own Nadja Auermann you'll be more than good-to-go.

You can always e-mail pix files or take the card to a phtofinisher to get hard-copy photos printed by a pro or put on a CD or floppy. Of course, you can always print them yourself on a good printer like an Epson 1270 and get great output.

There are better cameras, with more features. I have some of them myself. But you won't go wrong with this one. Being able to shoot all the photos you want and discard the ones you don't want to keep will change the way you take pix for the better. You'll also have unlimted editing power AFTER you capture your images. You'll be a photo god. Go digital. Trust me. -OhMike

#35941 - 05/07/03 08:36 PM Re: about cameras...??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Someone "'round these parts" was praising the little ELF digital camera. It's tiny and looks almost identical to its non-digital counterpart. They swore by the good quality pictures too.
Quote:
but carrying a digital around will totally label me as a rich north american,and i'm afraid i'll become more of a likely target.
I don't think they'll label you as a rich North American - just someone with a camera - and digital cameras are SO very very common these days. Also, I don't think most crooks can see if you have a digital or 35mm camera from a distance - they just see the camera and BINGO! You're labeled as a tourist.

Quote:
my friends here have been trying to convince me to go digital and buy many extra memory sticks, but i've heard that when transfering my memory onto computers in spain, the systems probably won't be compatible-so i'd have to buy some special conecting wires.
This is always a problem. And for JUST this reason, I bought the SONY CD Mavika. It writes directly to a mini-CD and while in Spain during 3 weeks last month I took about 1,600 photos and a few 1-minute .mpg movies on 3-mini CDs. This way you never need to empty your media card/stick to email while traveling in order to free up space to take more photos. You'll have them all right there. And the quality is quite good. I like mine a lot. Plus, you can recharge them easily anywhere in the world. It comes with its own power transformer so all you need is the local plug adapter and you're off! My battery lasts about 2 hours with normal use.

Still, digital cameras are still more expensive than most 35mm cameras so I'm not sure if the extra cost is worth it to you. When in Madrid for Christmas 2001/New Years I used my old, crappy 35mm photos and the quality was disappointing. That, plus the 4 rolls of 36 exposures I took cost about $75 in processing so about $100 total for film + processing. And it was then that I said, "NO MORE!!". And besides, it's MUCH easier to share photos with friends on digital media than having to mail them, scan them, or describe to them what you did or saw.

All this said, I'm not sure an expensive digital camera is what you'll want, especially if you're backpacking, staying in youth-hostels or camping where security is lessened.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35942 - 05/08/03 02:58 AM Re: about cameras...??
Miguelito Offline

Here the processing for a 36 exp. film is around 10€ and you get a new film for free. A normal film (Kodak 200 ISO) should be no more than 3€.

About why to choose one or another, I'm not sure, but I think cameras are not robbed so often, I mean, I think it's not so common to be mugged as pickpocketted (of course, if you have your camera in your bagpack and they open it, they'll take it), and this will be in Madrid and other touristic big cities of Spain like Barcelona, Sevilla or Granada. I don't read so often the safety threads, so what do you think about this?

When I carry a bagpack I usually have the zippers tided with a small lace and if it's small maybe I'll carry it on my front in the worst areas, also I take the money in my front pockets and I don't ever loose and eye on my personal belongings

#35943 - 05/13/03 01:39 PM Re: about cameras...??
sneak Offline

so, i've been thinking about all the helpful replies, and was wondering what you thought of an idea a friend of mine proposed to me.

what about just buying a cheap 35mm camera, and bring film from here? it would be cheaper than a disposable, and i could probably get one just a bit nicer for a low price.

i'm still afraid of bringing a nice expensive camera to spain. plus, i'm leavign in 2 weeks, and don't really have to to shop around for deals, or learn how to use a digital camera in these next 2 weeks.

do you guys think that it's a terrible idea to get a cheap camera??

#35944 - 05/14/03 10:16 AM Re: about cameras...??
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Yes of course buy your film at home! I'm buying mine tonight (8 rolls of 24 exposures). There are so many "Cheap" cameras. Its up to you. I would still get one with a zoom. I don't know what your budget is like but I'm sure you can get a good camera w/zoom for under $200 USD. If you can't decide or beacause of budget limitations, be sure to by a few DISPOSABLES. Some are now "High Quality" disposables that feature a quality glass lens. I bought one in Paris 2 years ago when by camera broke, it was tiny, with flash and had about 38 exposures!!! I was hard pressed to shoot them all!

#35945 - 06/06/03 01:46 PM Re: about cameras...??
Amanda Panda Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL USA
Dear all,
I have a digital camera and to recharge the battery I have to plug it in. What kind of electrical converter do I need to do so?
And where can I buy one?
Thanks
Amanda

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments