MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35911 - 05/04/03 11:06 PM new packing restrictions
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I'm going to Europe in about a month (not Spain, alas) and understand it is now illegal to pack any sort of food substance of any kind in the luggage you check in. Is this true? I've always packed power bars to take overseas for those early busses and trains that leave before cafes open, then return with chocolate, coffee, cans of olives, etc. Now EVERYTHING has to be in carry on???? How did you folks handle the new rules and regs?

#35912 - 05/04/03 11:20 PM Re: new packing restrictions
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Surely this can't be correct! eek Just returning from Spain I had coffee and cans of tuna in my checked luggage. You're saying I broke the rules??!! eek rolleyes Sounds like a silly rule to me.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35913 - 05/05/03 12:58 PM Re: new packing restrictions
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
It is not illegal to pack food items in your luggage. I think what you are referring to was the guidelines suggested by the Homeland Security Administration. (They have a web site somewhere with all types of info on traveling nowadays.) I think the rationale was that since some food items when x-rayed might appear suspicious or resemble dangerous materials (think turron passing for plastic explosives when x-rayed, for example), travelers were advised to put them in their hand-carried luggage to lower the possibility of having your checked baggage opened and rifled through.

#35914 - 05/05/03 08:33 PM Re: new packing restrictions
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

I had heard that they discouraged packing chocolate and they wanted your shoes placed on top of your clothes (not too restrictive or anything!). But our tour representative told us that we were not allowed to pack any food of any kind in our checked luggage confused If they want to check to see if my power bars explode, that's fine with me...just so they can cram stuff back the way it was. I just don't want to be told I can't fly if I have goodies in my bag!

I was searched no fewer than 3 times for the same flight last summer, as was my son! The year before, the drug sniffing dogs fell madly in love with my saffron and I had to get searched for that. I guess I must look suspicious! So I'm nervous about returning from Italy with a bag full of dried pasta!

#35915 - 05/14/03 10:54 PM Re: new packing restrictions
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
But isn't turron just about as tasty as plastic explosives?!

(Sorry, as you can see, I'm not a big fan of it, I know some of you are!!!)

-GG

#35916 - 05/14/03 11:08 PM Re: new packing restrictions
Espe3 Offline

Depends on the type of turron!

I have been researching the whole luggage thing- since not only do I work for the airline industry (not the airport) and they never really told us as far as the locks which we get a lot of questions about... but also for personal knowledge as on my next trip I don't want to worry about if my stuff will get there ok! So, here it is... check out the www.tsa.gov website, they've got the list of suggestions there as far as what to pack, where to pack it (checked vs. carry-on) and even explain the whole lock debate.

Basically they say, take food items with you in your carryon- as cans and certain foods are permitted to bring with you- they may set off the screening machines they have for checked and you don't want to have them open it when you're not around to search it! Books- spread them around your suitcase, don't pack them stacked together- it looks like something its not! Shoes, they say pack them on top of your stuff. Personals- in clear bags as this will prevent them having to actually rifle through it and it'll be easy for them to see what it is. LOCKS: here's the biggie: you CAN lock luggage! HOWEVER they recommend against using locks as if they need to search your suitcase, they'll cut it off and will not be responsible for any damage done because of it. They WILL re-seal your bag, and even enclose a note in it to let you know that it was searched. What they DO suggest is that you buy those plastic locking strips (home depot, hardware stores) so that if they do need to cut it off not only is it cheap, but easy enough for them and no damage smile Hope that helps! Any more info (there is a number to call if anything happens to be missing) check out the website and print out the list.

Happy travels everyone! smile

#35917 - 05/15/03 04:03 PM Re: new packing restrictions
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
It does depend on the type of turron... wink

Thanks for that clarification, Espe! I'll hopefully be taking a trip soon and will use that for reference.

You can also buy those plastic stips through Magellans.com, I think they're pretty cheap too!

-GG

#35918 - 05/15/03 06:19 PM Re: new packing restrictions
OhMike Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I love turron. It reminds me of Christmas when I was a kid. -OhMike smile

#35919 - 05/15/03 08:25 PM Re: new packing restrictions
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Espe3, thanks for all the information! I wonder, though, if I use one of those plastic tie things how I will take it off when I get to my destination since I can't have anything like scissors or a knife packed with me ? confused I've heard tell that those cheap plastic coupon cutters are ok, but I don't know. Heck, last year they went nuts over the mini screwdriver I forgot I had to fix my glasses! I hope the airlines are being merciful with carry-ons....it sounds like mine is going to be one hefty little puppy!

#35920 - 05/15/03 09:52 PM Re: new packing restrictions
Snoo Offline

Loc: Mississippi
A couple of years ago, I went to England for a month. Now, I just LOVE chocolate and especially the UK's Cadbury Bars. However, since restrictions at that time said no dairy products could be brought back, I didn't even bring one bar. Well, you know it! The guy in front of me in the inspection line had an entire backpack full of Cadbury Bars ! He sailed right through. Chocolate was fine to bring in!
frown Oh, well, there's always next time. Is the chocolate in Spain good? 3 weeks until I arrive smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments