Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35907 - 05/04/03 02:51 PM pictures and videos in checked luggage?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Im flying back to the states this Friday (Granada- Madrid, Madrid-Chicago with IBERIA) after a semester in Spain, so needless to say I have a TON of developed pictures already in photo albums, and a video (VHS) tape. Does anybody know, or have experience on this one- is it safe to put these things in my checked luggage with the new scanning equipment they have since sept 11??? thanks!
kelly

#35908 - 05/04/03 03:50 PM Re: pictures and videos in checked luggage?
Snoo Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I have not been to Spain yet (going next month) but was in Paris in November. It cost so much money (about $14-20 a roll) to develop my film there that I carried undeveloped film home in my carry-on. I argued with the inspection person at the Paris airport because he refused to hand inspect it. Wrong move...I had to remove my shoes and was inspected head to toe. My film went through numerous xrays and I was doubtful I would get anything but a gray haze on my prints. They came out great, tho. I had 100 and 200 asa film. Another time I came home from the UK with 400 asa and prints turned kind of greenish so maybe the lower speed film does better.
By the way, at every airport in the US I have been able to get my film hand inspected just by asking politely.

In answer to your question - you should have absolutely no trouble bringing your developed prints back. I have never had any trouble with them before. I don't know about the video. In the UK they use a different type of video equipment. Be sure that the one you are bringing will work in your player.

#35909 - 05/04/03 09:09 PM Re: pictures and videos in checked luggage?
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
If it doesn't work in your player, there are companies here in the US that will change the tape over to the US system of film so that it works in your machine.

#35910 - 05/04/03 10:39 PM Re: pictures and videos in checked luggage?
Espe3 Offline

I'd worry more that they're not letting people lock their luggage anymore. If someone opens it to inspect it, you may loose it. I'd ship the photos back and probably the tapes too- the machines won't hurt the tapes.

Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments