Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35841 - 03/17/03 03:00 PM Madrid:What to wear!
Serena Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi, I'm a 21 year old student that will be studying in Madrid starting next week! I'm packing and I find that I have no idea what to bring to WEAR. I know the weather is still a little chilly over there...

What do people in their 20s usually wear over there? I don't want to stand out too much smile

I'll be taking classes at the University... what would be a typical type of clothing to wear out? To go out on the weekend? And what do people wear like to go out to clubs and stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thank you!

#35842 - 03/17/03 05:48 PM Re: Madrid:What to wear!
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I think pretty much the same as you would wear in the States, they dress up a little more here, clubs won't let you in without nice clothes and shoes (no athletic wear, or shoes). Most of the clothing is the same brands (mark one up for Globalization!). Women here have very narrow hips, so you probably want to bring your slacks from the US, but you can always purchase clothing here, clothing stores abound. Spain has great shoes too.

#35843 - 03/17/03 05:53 PM Re: Madrid:What to wear!
Serena Offline

Thank you for the advice... especially the narrow hip/pants stuff... lol, I wouldnt have been able to buy pants there. smile Thanx a lot!

#35844 - 03/17/03 07:17 PM Re: Madrid:What to wear!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Serena,

There's a very chic store in Madrid, Spain (Gran Via) called ZARA , and they just happen to have opened one in Dadeland Mall, if you live in South Florida, you can pop in and see the clothes they sell, the thread tells it all!

Spanish women of all ages dress elegantly in the evening, they love to wear scarves. Leather, wool jackets are popular. Slacks are in as well as skirts, fairly tight. I did not see many people wearing jeans, but I was there in the winter, so...

Do plan to buy your shoes in Madrid, there is a street called Calle Preciados where you can get beautiful leather shoes very reasonably priced.

The clothes are what you see here in Burdines, so you will probably look great. Young people always do! smile

p.s. Found a neat Business story on ZARA

#35845 - 03/17/03 07:51 PM Re: Madrid:What to wear!
Serena Offline

Thank you very much for the advice! smile

#35846 - 03/17/03 10:00 PM Re: Madrid:What to wear!
Espe3 Offline

Martin de Madrid, Spanish women have narrow hips!?!?!?!? HA!

I think the biggest problem for American women from complaints and even other posts I've read on these boards is that they don't have many larger sizes available in wide variety. Clothes (pants) are generally worn tighter in Spain, for the most part people are thinner also. Pants are made long-a growing trend in the US as well (better you have to hem them, then the pants not be long enough!)

Bring a leather jacket it goes with everything and looks sharp... check out the other threads on clothing- there's TONS listed and you'll get some great ideas and perspectives on wardrobe! smile Basic classic cuts and colors, accessories (scarves, jewlery, belts) can change any outfit- people tend to recycle clothing more over there than in the US- your wardrobe isn't as big so accessories are key- its easier to pack that way also! wink (More room to bring stuff back!) So take clothes with you that you can mix and match!

Have a great time! smile

#35847 - 03/17/03 11:18 PM Re: Madrid:What to wear!
Serena Offline

Thank you... your advice definitely helped! I was worried about the jacket thing because I have a leather jacket and a knee length wool one. I'm definitely gonna bring the leather one though. Thanx again!

#35848 - 03/18/03 04:40 AM Re: Madrid:What to wear!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I was studying in Bilbao last summer, and am in Granada for this semester. I remeber how oh so worried I was about the clothes situations and what to wear, so I completely know where you are coming from!!!

Here is my one word of advcie- DONT OVERPACK!!! I promise, you dont need every pair of shoes you own!! I way over did it and shoved my entire closet into 2 suitcases and hauled them half way across the world...now the semester is winding down and Im wondering how Im going to get it all home.

Clothes are generally cheap (excpet american brands) to buy in Spain, and not to mention, shopping is fun (as if it even needs to be said)!! I can spend an entire day walking around and looking, not even buying, and be completely happy (oh wow the shopaholic in me in coming out!!)

I love ZARA, MANGO, BLANCO, TRUCO, the list is endless!! But like someone said, most only carry up to a womens size 10. If you do need upwords of a size 10, you might try El Corte Ingles, I have heard they carry some of the larger sizes there. Shoes (normally up to size 8 or 9 I think?)!! One of my favorite things to buy in Spain!!!!!

Have fun and enjoy every second of your time studying abroad...it is precious and will be over before you know it frown
Kelly

#35849 - 04/02/03 04:19 AM Re: Madrid:What to wear!
papi Offline

Loc: LONDRES!!!!
the skater look is very bit in madrid right now, baggy pants,big sneakers, peicings.. crazy hair.. its a bit chiili cool at night though... take a sweater or jacket, 1 is all ur need...they got great stores , real cheap and funky in madrid, chueca is pretty good fo that kindda thing!
anyway,, u could wear a bikini all day , and nobody would care, theres no real dress code anywhere... laugh

#35850 - 04/02/03 07:51 AM Re: Madrid:What to wear!
el viajero Offline

There's a Zara right on Gran Vía? How'd I miss that? Where on Gran Vía?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments