Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35828 - 03/08/03 12:28 PM What to wear?
el viajero Offline

I'm a guy in my late 30s and will be in Madrid in May and June. I'm trying to figure out what clothing to pack that is climate-appropriate, age-appropriate, and won't make me stand out too conspicuously as a foreigner.

I'd like to bring clothing from home rather than buy it there, partly for financial reasons and partly because it's hard to find off-the-rack clothing for the "vertically challenged" in Spain.

When I was in Barcelona, I noticed that adults don't usually wear jeans and sneakers. My limited experience with Madrid suggests it's a more informal place. Any suggestions?

#35829 - 03/08/03 01:29 PM Re: What to wear?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
el viajero, you and I are in the same sinking boat. eek heheehe.. I'm 37 and have been trying more these last few years to dress more nicely when in Spain. I asked my ladyfriend in Madrid if it helped and she said, "Yes. You look very nice. But there's no mistaking you for a Spaniard." HA!

So, I guess if you have a mediterraean look or heritage you'll be better off than I will with my northwestern European look. I'm sunk. hehehe..

I do wear jeans almost everyday but I try to find tighter fitting ones than I'd normally wear here in the USA. Of course, I wear the loose ones on the plane for comfort. However, if I'm having dinner with friends I'll wear my nicer, non-chino/khaki Dockers.

I'll usually wear long-sleeve solid-colored, button down shirts but almost never wear polo shirts. Spaniards do seem to wear polo shirts but to a lesser degree than in the USA. Short sleeved shirts are fine too but you'll still see LOTS of nice, long-sleeved button-down shirts in the high heat of summer. WOW.

Shoes: Shoes are tough because the styles are often very different from those in Spain - well, unless you live in NYC, I guess. Simple black leather dress are best for jeans or pants. But you know, I can't imagine destroying my feet by wearing dress shoes for 10 hours while walking ALL the streets of Madrid sight-seeing so I wear my tennis shoes. I've purposely now buy Addidas tennis/jogger shoes because they're better known in Spain and more European than Nikes or Reebok. Also, you can skip the Ohio State University or NY Yankees ball cam on backwards. hehehe.. Sure, kids wear ball caps sometimes but rarely will adults.

Probably, the nicer you dress the less you'll be perceived as a non-European.

Madrid seems less formal thank BCN to you? Hmmm.. Maybe. Not sure. Anyone else?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35830 - 03/08/03 01:49 PM Re: What to wear?
el viajero Offline

Quote:
I'm 37 and have been trying more these last few years to dress more nicely when in Spain. I asked my ladyfriend in Madrid if it helped and she said, "Yes. You look very nice. But there's no mistaking you for a Spaniard." HA!
A friend assures me it's easy to spot Americans by our haircuts, facial expressions, and that fact that "many Americans bounce when you walk - like small children or cartoon characters." Harrumph. laugh

#35831 - 03/08/03 02:34 PM Re: What to wear?
martine Offline

Loc: Belgium
This is my opinion:
If you really do not want to look as an American (I don't know why not, nothing wrong with that)I think you'd better not wear white sneakers with socks. Some people here do wear them, but it is not really classy. Spanish men (and other European) wear beige bermuda's with sportif schoes without socks.
MM is right. Polo's are indead fashion here.

#35832 - 03/10/03 04:20 PM Re: What to wear?
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
Can I assume that one would not go wrong if one went with the old European standby of basic black? And where and when would shorts not be acceptable?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments