MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#35800 - 01/15/03 03:11 PM Re: what to wear
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Out and about, easy to wash---matte knit dresses, black (or another solid color)! Short sleeves, with a cardigan just in case. TravelSmith and LLBean have good ones. You can wash them yourself in the sink or tub, and they dry without wrinkles.

Not to sound like an ad, but here are a couple just so you can see what I am talking about:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st ore...3=&sale=yes

(MadridMan says: Sorry taravb! I tried to make your second link clickable but instead just made things worse and just removed it. Feel free to remove my words here in parenthesis and repost just the URL and people can copy-n-paste it into their browsers. Sorry!)

Add a pair of dressy sandals and you can go out at night--and with a pair of comfortable walking shoes, you are fine for day! You'll still look like a tourist (no avoiding that!), but you won't stand out the way you might in athletic wear.

#35801 - 01/17/03 05:03 PM Re: what to wear
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Spainards are more formal than people from the USA, for example, no nightclub will allow you in without real leather footwear (non-sneakers), slacks, no jeans, teeshirts, sport shirs, etc., and definitely NO athletic wear! Otherwise, we dress pretty much like people from the US (calling yourselves "Americans," by the way is very insensitive, and rather ignorant, you aren't the only "Americans" so it can be rather ambigous), and the brands, styles, etc. are (lamentably) those you will find back "home," due to the globalization and gobbling up by the (US)corporate machine. The same comment goes for many things in the culture, like (my G-d!) music, for example.

Be that as it may, it also means you can purchase a pair of Levis, for example, and wear them without unduly sticking out like a sore (blue) thumb. Sizes are different, being metric. Toothpaste, and other food items are well stocked in US brands in the supermercados, especially in Corté Ingles, the huge department store chain. The Spainards have had the good sense to retain their vino, chorizos, pan, tortialls, churros, chocolaté caliente, jamón and other necessities of life, so you won't be deprived of the good (Spanish) life.

Dig into it with both hands!
¡Saludos!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments