Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3571 - 02/11/02 10:38 AM Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Okay, I've finally bought my ticket to Madrid! I arrive on May 3 and return back to Edmonton on May 15. My rough plans are to spend the first four nights in Madrid which includes a daytrip to Toledo. Then I will take either the bus or train to Granada for two nights, a full day which will be in the Alhambra. I guess I should buy my tickets in advance, correct? Then I am off to Seville for five nights and back up to Madrid for my final night before the long return home.

Now, I need to finalize my hotels. In Madrid its down to: Hotel Europa , CarlosV , or the Regina . I started a previous thread on the Europa and would like an opinion on wheteher the substantially more expensive CarlosV or Regina is that much better compared to the Europa especially with noise and room sizes. I am willing to spend more for less noise the first few nights in case I need to nap during siesta and want some quiet time. Also, I did a search on Hotel Simon in Seville and couldn't find anything. Anybody ever stay here and opinions por favor? I am also faxing Las Casas de la Juderia today to see if I can get in. I'm treating myself this trip as it's been a long time since I've had a solo adventure like this and, to use the cliche, you only live once and I think a decent place will help with my peace of mind in a far away place.
Thanks so much for your help, this has been an amazing place for assistance.
Also, what bus do I take to get to Granada from Madrid?

Dargus

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3572 - 02/11/02 11:33 AM Re: Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi

We stayed in Carlos V in May 2000 and couldn't have been happier. Very very quiet room, because it faced into the internal 'area'.

Read these three posts below to which I've added my experiences of Carlos V.

Carlos V

Carlos V again

.. . and Carlos V again . . .

Let us know what you choose and how you enjoyed it when you return. laugh

#3573 - 02/11/02 03:34 PM Re: Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I stayed 3 nights in Las Casas de la Juderia in October 2001 and it was fabulous! The room was huge. We had an entire sitting room and a separate bedroom. The bathrooms was all marble and had both a tub and shower. There was a beautiful patio that looked onto the courtyard with a fountain. It smelled of jasmine every morning. It was in the Santa Cruz quarter but not in the direct "heart" of it - just a 5 minute walk to Plaza de Venerables.

As for the Hotel Simon, I've read good things about it. However, an acquaintance of mine who booked a room there were so disappointed in the hotel they cancelled their reservation and left Seville 2 days early (they had spend the first 3 days in las casas de la Juderia). I don't know if they were just being super "picky" rolleyes or if it truly was horrible.

If you want to stay in the Santa Cruz area La Hosteria de Dona Lida looked like a great budget option. I had lunch and dinner there and it was absolutely fabulous (menu de la casa 3000 ptas). They have only 8 rooms (doubles for 8000 ptas) and a lady I met that was staying there said they were very comfortable and clean but nothing fancy.

Hosteria de Dona Lina

I can't help you much with Madrid. We stayed at the Reina Victoria and I wouldn't stay there again (great location but not worth the price). Personally, I'd want to be somewhere between Puerta del Sol and Plaza Santa Ana. I'd also reconsider the number of days in Madrid and perhaps spend a night or 2 in Toledo and or Segovia - just my personal opinion.

Hope this helps. laugh

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3574 - 02/11/02 10:29 PM Re: Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
ToniG Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
We stayed 3 nights in each of the Carlos V and Casas de Las Juderia in Oct.2001. I liked the Carlos V, however am staying in a quiet hostal this March. It is lovely and clean and the staff courteous. But we just did not use the facilities they offered enough to justify the extra $$. In Seville, though, that I would do again. The rooms were marvelous and you can't beat the location! Very quiet and convenient.

#3575 - 02/11/02 11:07 PM Re: Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
ToniG,
Quote:
I liked the Carlos V, however am staying in a quiet hostal this March. It is lovely and clean and the staff courteous.
How do you know it is lovely, clean, and has a courteous staff if you haven't yet stayed there. confused Or have you?? And to what hostel are you referring??

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#3576 - 02/12/02 02:57 AM Re: Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

MM

Did ToniG mean that at the Carlos V it was clean and the staff courteous rather than at the hostal? rolleyes

Jo

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Jo-Anne ]

#3577 - 02/12/02 09:19 AM Re: Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
dargus Offline

Thanks guys!
ToniG - which hostal are you referring to for March? And what facilities did you not use? I guess I am trying to enquire if the Carlos V or Regina, both at around Cdn$130 a night, are that much better than the Europa which I can get for Cdn$80 a night for a single. That's a $50 a night difference, about 60% more to stay in the Carlos V or Regina. For my first trip over, solo, I want to have a decent, quiet room to assist with my jetlag as I am a very light sleeper and are willing to pay more than I usually do just for that reason.

Dargus

#3578 - 02/12/02 10:40 AM Re: Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Jo-Anne, I guess we'll have to wait until we hear from ToniG to clear this up.

dargus, with all the business this message board has sent to Hotel Carlos V (and SINCE they seemingly significantly raised their prices since last year) I'd think we could all qualify for "The MadridMan Discount". Seriously! When you contact them, ask them or suggest it to them. Who knows - maybe they'll give you 5-10% off!

That Las Casas de la Judería & Hotel Simon in Sevilla look GREAT from the few photos I've seen!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#3579 - 02/12/02 02:17 PM Re: Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

MM - you are right about Carlos V prices. I hadn't thought to check this years prices.

A double seems to be 110.37 euros (= about 18,000 pts?). When we went, in 2000, a double room was about 13,000 and I think this was including IVA which the 18,000 pts doesn't).

What a shame, because I do still recommend it as a place to stay, but feel that the cost to stay there has increased so much, it's worth considering alternatives.

We felt we were paying quite a lot when we stayed there, but because it was such a sanctuary we felt it was worth it at the time. However, having stayed in Hostal Martin in Madrid for 7 or 8,000 pts per night and being more than happy, I wouldn't think it worth forking out so much more for the bit of luxury you would get at Carlos V.

I wonder if so many have been recommended to and stayed at Carlos V via this board and other means, that they feel they can charge more knowing they can fill the rooms? :p

Oh, well . . . .

You pays your money, you takes your choice . . .

Jo

#3580 - 02/12/02 04:15 PM Re: Madrid and Sevilla Hotels
dargus Offline

Cathy, how did you make reservation with Las Casas de la Juderia in Seville? I faxed them a few days ago and have not yet heard a reply. Is english spoken there? Also, I have offcially made a reservation with the Carlos V. It's more than I would like to spend but I am counting on it to be quieter than the Europa which I will check out when I am there for future, cheaper accomodations. Thanks so much for your help!
BTW is anybody else planning to be in Madrid or Seville between May 3 - 15? Let me know!

Dargus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments